Carlton's first AFLW Practice Match this Saturday (21/01)

Remove this Banner Ad

The 22 who played the practice match were;
1. Brianna Davey
2. Katie Loynes
3. Darcy Vescio
4. Madeline Keryk
5. Katherine Gillespie-Jones
6. Gabriella Pound
7. Sarah Last
8. Kate Darby
10. Sarah Hosking
12. Lauren Brazzale
13. Lauren Arnell
14. Laura Attard
15. Nat Exon
16. Breann Moody
18. Tilly Lucas-Rodd
23. Jessica Kennedy
25. Kate Shierlaw
26. Shae Audley
27. Alison Brown
30. Alison Downie
31. Danielle Hardiman
35. Bianca Jakobsson

They all had a crack. Davey, Downie, Vescio, Hosking, Exon, Arnell, Audley all in the best for me. Gee it was good to see a game of footy. Got a bit shitty with Dees supporters (so entitled to frees), sun was shining, team turned it on in the last quarter.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone go? What was the standard like? Hope it is an even competition with all teams competitive but 1 goal 3 by Melbourne on a perfect day for footy is a worry.
it had some quiet patches, i think because both teams strong on defence. Hence the low scoring until 3 quarter time.But the footy was contested, hard at it. Sometimes showing a little bit of rustiness with fumbles or dropped marks. Then the pressure would come and play would get bottled up a bit.

I was trying to keep track of where players were being fielded but gave up, they swung them round each quarter (for Carlton at least. Melbourne weren't wearing numbers so bugger all chance of working out what they were up to). In the last quarter Carlton seemed to win it out of the middle, or have some switch kicks across the ground, and were working well as a forward line to present options as the ball came in.

Standard was good I thought for teams still coming together TL15. Think both teams were trying out different combinations of players and positions.

Any other observers?

it had some quiet patches, i think because both teams strong on defence. Hence the low scoring until 3 quarter time.But the footy was contested, hard at it. Sometimes showing a little bit of rustiness with fumbles or dropped marks. Then the pressure would come and play would get bottled up a bit.

I was trying to keep track of where players were being fielded but gave up, they swung them round each quarter (for Carlton at least. Melbourne weren't wearing numbers so bugger all chance of working out what they were up to). In the last quarter Carlton seemed to win it out of the middle, or have some switch kicks across the ground, and were working well as a forward line to present options as the ball came in.

Standard was good I thought for teams still coming together TL15. Think both teams were trying out different combinations of players and positions.

Any other observers?

Thanks Bluegum, fantastic summary and insight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back