Josh Poulter's 2017 Big Board and Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

All three were named in the 95 man squad a week prior to the AFL draft as invitees to the Falcons pre-season training squad. And two of the 95 (Henry and Simpson) are now on AFL lists haha
How do you rate the Brisbane father sons at this stage? Not all draftable this year, but a promising group?

NAB AFL ACADEMY CAMP ATTENDEES
Vic Country:
Tyrone Hayes, Aaron Darling, Kane Farrell, Aidan Quigley, Lochie O'Brien, Hunter Clark, Luke Davies-Uniake, Oscar Clavarino, James Worpel, Tom De Koning, Paddy Dow
Vic Metro: Jack Higgins, Lachlan Fogarty, Patrick Naish, Joel Garner, Jaidyn Stephenson, Sam Hayes, Noah Balta, Hayden McLean, Cameron Rayner
South Australia: Jordan Houlahan, Darcy Fogarty, Thomas Schmusch, Callum Coleman-Jones, Andrew McPherson
Western Australia: Jake Patmore, Sam Taylor
NSW/ACT: Charlie Spargo, Jack Powell, Jarrod Brander, Nathan Richards
Queensland: Jack Clayton, Connor Ballenden, Brayden Crossley
Northern Territory: Dominic Grant

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-01-16/afl-academy-members-fly-to-us

This'll be another cracker year of pronounciations.

Not only have they got Davies-Uniacke but also Matthew Zukiewicz.
haha but the commentators do get better, and Shifter does do a good job of pulling them up or correcting their pronunciations. But like every year I can see them getting some easy ones completely wrong.

I've seen a fair bit of 2 Rebels boys Aiden Domic and Jordan Johnston, on what I've seen If they go on with it this season I'd expect both to get drafted.

Hey POULTERBEAR, any idea of the where abouts of James Worpel? There's been a young gun training with the Lions this week getting some very good reviews by posters who watch training. A couple have suggested it might be Worpel up training with the Lions.

I've seen a fair bit of 2 Rebels boys Aiden Domic and Jordan Johnston, on what I've seen If they go on with it this season I'd expect both to get drafted.
easily both draftable at this stage, and both have the scope to be higher on the board. Johnston i like because he seems to play taller for his size and yeh by the way he plays seems like he nears 190cm but is only 182cm.

Hey POULTERBEAR, any idea of the where abouts of James Worpel? There's been a young gun training with the Lions this week getting some very good reviews by posters who watch training. A couple have suggested it might be Worpel up training with the Lions.
From what I understand there is only one allocation of draftees at clubs, as per the last season or two as it used to be two clubs before and after the over-seas trip. So very unlikely it is Worpel but i could be mistaken.

What is Naish like, quick? Skillful?

What is Naish like, quick? Skillful?
not overly quick but is a bit toey. Skills are generally good but can be very hot and cold at times. First time i saw him for 2016 was at the U17 Futures Game between Metro and Country and he played midfield, looked like Trent Cotchin with his running style and used alot of handball receive link-up. Has also been trialed off half-back for the Northern Knights but doesnt look overly comfortable in that role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not overly quick but is a bit toey. Skills are generally good but can be very hot and cold at times. First time i saw him for 2016 was at the U17 Futures Game between Metro and Country and he played midfield, looked like Trent Cotchin with his running style and used alot of handball receive link-up. Has also been trialed off half-back for the Northern Knights but doesnt look overly comfortable in that role.

There are two boys from Bendigo in Fitzgerald and Henderson that impress me..your thoughts?

Darcy Fogarty is the one I hope will become a Bagger this lad is a rare talent , footy nous, creativity good kick and very strong a 193 cm midfielder/ foward, got my fingers crossed.

What does that mean for us? I'm not familiar with how our academy works

Means nothing for 2017 draftees, for the next gen academy (indigenous and multicultural) in 2016 & 2017 at draft time, clubs nominate their next gen academy players and if they slip through all 3 drafts they're able to sign them as Category B rookies.
As of the 2018 draft though, the next gen academy will be in line with the northern states academy system and the father-son rules for the bidding system.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Darcy Fogarty is the one I hope will become a Bagger this lad is a rare talent , footy nous, creativity good kick and very strong a 193 cm midfielder/ foward, got my fingers crossed.

At the moment he's probably the leading contender for the number 1 pick and leading prospect. There's a bit of a gap at the moment between him and LOB/Brander but not too big.

Means nothing for 2017 draftees, for the next gen academy (indigenous and multicultural) in 2016 & 2017 at draft time, clubs nominate their next gen academy players and if they slip through all 3 drafts they're able to sign them as Category B rookies.
As of the 2018 draft though, the next gen academy will be in line with the northern states academy system and the father-son rules for the bidding system.

Ah damn, would have been nice to get a freebie haha. Thanks for the info!

Any references that the Cat B system runs for this year as well?

This stuff barely ever gets a mention in the public eye, but the general understanding seemed to be the Next Gen system was fast-tracked with Cat B opportunities last year, and the full system this year. If that's correct, there'll be a bidding process on draft night.

Seems a bit odd that clubs put 12 months into these kids with zero reward if they go in the ND, especially seeing that sometimes that's all the NEAFL clubs do.

Any references that the Cat B system runs for this year as well?

This stuff barely ever gets a mention in the public eye, but the general understanding seemed to be the Next Gen system was fast-tracked with Cat B opportunities last year, and the full system this year. If that's correct, there'll be a bidding process on draft night.

Seems a bit odd that clubs put 12 months into these kids with zero reward if they go in the ND, especially seeing that sometimes that's all the NEAFL clubs do.
There is an eligibility length of time required. It's why neither is nor Brisbane could take Elliot himmelberg via academy. Also why we couldn't access Todd Marshall.

So no, that's not what the NEAFL clubs do

There is an eligibility length of time required. It's why neither is nor Brisbane could take Elliot himmelberg via academy. Also why we couldn't access Todd Marshall.

And that is why there has been talking over the academy eligibility of Jarrod Brander, since he has attended Geelong Grammar on scholarship since Year 10 and his parents live in Geelong now but still own the property in NSW.

Those were due to a rule change after-the-fact or straight-up fraud, not before the academies were up and running.

The players taken Cat B were often mature aged as well as freshly eligible, but none had darkened the door of their clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back