2016/17 Drafts

What is the pre season rookie draft? All remaining players or still only eligible rookies?

Russian?
Still only rookie eligible players I believe, but you get a better look at them in pre-season I suppose.

For those coaches that have the cap space available and are wanting an extra pre-season draft pick, a reminder of the below rule that you must get your delistments in before Thursday night's game.
Rules
11) You have until the first bounce in the AFL preseason* to delist any players in order to get an extra pre-season pick.

Not sure how exactly much cap space I have including the four rookies I recruited. Are we able to get an update?
The four rookies were free, if that's any help.

As per the opening post:
13) Pre-season draft picks are due 24 hours after the previous pick or 6pm March 6*, whichever is later. All players with salaries listed are dropped back to minimum salaries, and autopicks are from oldest to youngest of these players if you can afford the extra $42k, or from the top of the list if you can't. The only exception is if you redraft your own contracted delisted player - in this case the player will return to his existing contract. Passes are not allowed in the PSD. You may use your pick to permanently promote one of your rookies on a draftee/minimum contract, but will not receive any additional pre-season rookie draft picks even if that frees up enough space for one.
14) At the conclusion of the PSD, any pre-season rookie draft picks that no longer fit within a team's cap will be autopassed.
15) Pre-season rookie draft picks are due 24 hours after the previous pick or 48 hours after the last PSD pick, whichever is later. There are no autopicks.

So I read that as first pick due no later than 6pm March 6. As a reminder, minimum salaries for corresponding lengths are 130/163/195/228/260.

I've had a quick look and I believe this is the draft order. Let me know if you think otherwise:

Preseason Draft
Round 1
Adelaide Lions (Roylion )
2. Gippsland Sharks (Continstar )
3. Western Vultures ( sante )
4. Dragon Island Southerners (Danoz )
5. Port Adelaide (Russian )
6. Brisbane Bears (Presti_is_god )
7. Wagga Wagga Warthogs (Gee Dub )
8. Harbour City Hornets (knobby )

Round 2
Dragon Island Southerners

Round 3
Dragon Island Southerners

Preseason Rookie Draft
Round 1
Northern Reds (Bluesy )
2. Western Vultures
3. Dragon Island Southerners
4. Harbour City Hornets
5. St Kilda Titans (ShaunDuggan )

Round 2
Western Vultures
7. St Kilda Titans

Round 3
Western Vultures
9. St Kilda Titans

Rounds 4-7
Western Vultures
11. Western Vultures
12. Western Vultures
13. Western Vultures

Last edited:
I think Port Adelaide would have pick 2 in the PSD unless I'm reading the draft wrong, but it seems solid otherwise

Do we know what the rule will be on players with more than 1 year on their contract? Im assuming minimum for a 2/3 year deal?
I've assumed the order is just reverse ladder order like it has been with previous drafts.

Good question about the players with more than one year remaining. I don't know for certain but I assume it would be whatever length at minimum salary for that length you like. Maybe Russian needs to clarify this one?

knobby

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
I've assumed the order is just reverse ladder order like it has been with previous drafts.

Good question about the players with more than one year remaining. I don't know for certain but I assume it would be whatever length at minimum salary for that length you like. Maybe Russian needs to clarify this one?
I think you're correct on the draft order. I had a look at the Official Lists thread and it kind of confirms this.

No idea on players with 2+ year deals.

Back