Will you be working on Australia Day?

Remove this Banner Ad

The promoters of this billboard could have promoted harmony and unity by displaying people of many ethnic backgrounds. If they really want to promote religious tolerance then why not put a Christian, Sikh, Hindu, Jewish and Muslim person together? Why single out Islam? Because there is an agenda to divide, incite and encourage division.

I think it was a rolling billboard setup, with many photos.

Have we heard anything from the families of those two girls?

It is tough work trying to hide a truckies bum/plumbers crack. The best approach is to wear a shirt that is too big for you. Just sayin! :p
Good suggestion, might suggest it to my overweight electrician coming on Sunday. Better if it is raining though no need for shorts.

I doubt it. It seems pretty mundane stuff really, like most Government advertising.

The response to the small minded people against this type of advertisement has been great.

The co-opting of two children from a stock photograph to make a political statement? ....ehhhhh, not so great.
My inner cynicism about advertisers leads me to believe this is the reaction they wanted.

This isn't a uniquely WA thing. Remember where groups like the United Patriots Front come from and where the bulk of its members live.

It may be confirmation bias but non-WA posters with non-positive thoughts on Aboriginal viewpoints tend to try justifying their own viewpoint a bit. WA posters with non-positive thoughts on Aboriginal viewpoints tend to openly admit they simply don't give a s**t and use alcohol/drugs as a shield for not doing anything.

Yeah, this board needs more inner city Melbourne posters with zero exposure to Aboriginal people ever sharing their thoughts.
Yeah, I don't agree with the negative attitudes to Aboriginal people, but there's no doubt the experience of WA (and NT) people is going to be vastly different than inner city Melbourne or Sydney. It's the kind of experience that lends itself to some people taking extreme viewpoints. It would be like saying all Melbourne people are heartless shits for their current attitude towards the homeless and not taking into account the homeless issue is very different there.

The promoters of this billboard could have promoted harmony and unity by displaying people of many ethnic backgrounds. If they really want to promote religious tolerance then why not put a Christian, Sikh, Hindu, Jewish and Muslim person together? Why single out Islam? Because there is an agenda to divide, incite and encourage division.

Kirralie Smith NSW Senate Candidate ALA
ALA = nutjob.

I think it's a cool photo and in any case its just a billboard ffs. Not to mention that the girls featured are children.

Now dumbcampaigners using the indigenous as a tool to bash the advertising campaign and the kids in it. Just classy.

Especially when they couldn't give a two hoots about the third world conditions NT and WA indigenous have been suffering from.

Stick your fake crocodile tears and use of it to promote bigotry where the sun don't shine.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/opi...e/news-story/b5a2aa157852fc70a0fb07e2b18c06de

Had the First Fleet never landed 229 years ago, it would’ve been a matter of time before another imperialist regime ended up on these shores. Australia could well have become a Spanish, French or Portuguese colony. Although given the brutality with which these nations colonised the Americas, undoubtedly this country is fortunate to have been settled by the British.

Australia Day is not a day to manually override this country’s British heritage in the name of inclusivity. It’s a day to embrace it, celebrate it and preserve it. And of course, with lamb on the barbie. Happy Australia Day 2017.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although given the brutality with which these nations colonised the Americas, undoubtedly this country is fortunate to have been settled by the British.

you are surely taking this piss if you think this is true

Spanish / Portuguese / English / French - No difference at all

If you try to argue anything else you are being intellectually dishonest

What annoys me about the anti-Australia Day brigade is complete ignorance of historical context.

The first fleet landed in the 1780s, not the 2010s. It's all well and good to think that the British should've landed and set up a safe space at Sydney Cove but that's not how the world worked at the time. Great Britain itself had been invaded and conquered many times prior to setting sail for Botany Bay.

British, French, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, Belgian... No one's hands are clean. Had we been settled by any of the Euro explorers who were circling about the net result would have been the same - flag planted and territory claimed. You can move the date of Australia Day or pretend that things would've been different had the French or Dutch arrived but at the end of the day the Australia we're all posting about was born of British settlement.

None of what you says contradicts any of what the anti-Australia Day brigade says:

ofcourse, what you said happened, and no doubt would have been similar or inevitable had the other European colonisers got here - But that doesn't mean that we should pretend the date doesn't bring real resentment to the first nations people

Remove this Banner Ad

Back