Cockburn firming up

Remove this Banner Ad

More pics here:

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/first-look-at-the-dockers-new-cockburn-facility-ng-b88366567z

The club facilities, which will share some common spaces with the public, break new ground.

There is a main training oval with a GPS markings system to configure goal posts and boundary lines to any ground in the AFL.

The change rooms, featuring keypad entry lockers with USB charging points, are four times as big as existing Fremantle Oval facilities.

The medical areas include offices for doctors, physios and sports scientists which to the casual observer resemble medical research laboratories.

You can get a gym membership there? Goddamn, you telling me I might get to work out with Taberner!

But seriously, the club change rooms is 4x bigger then the ones at Freo Oval. That just confirms it for me, this project will put us on top of player facilities and just modernization. Incredible

Do the women get their own set of lockers and change room? I ask because it is likely the plans for the facility would have predated the successful bid for the women's team.

Do the women get their own set of lockers and change room? I ask because it is likely the plans for the facility would have predated the successful bid for the women's team.
I am pretty certain it does, it's just Clakkas showing Barnett through it would have looked a bit awkward. Plus there's a sign on their door "No Pea Hearts Allowed" - Am I talking about Colin or Zac?

I think Freo missed an opportunity here, should have had one of the female players alongside Zac - too many men in suits imo.

So i'm curious. As it's a shared facility with the public, what happens when the club requires use of an area or machines but its being used by the gym members?

Those indoor basketball courts which can be configured to indoor footy drills - surely the paying public get dibs on them as a basketball court? I'd assume there will be the usual social sports that are played in most rec centres.

Similarly the pool and those sort of facilities. Does anyone know how its going to work - will it put players off that they have to effectively do their job whilst being concerned with handing equipment back within a certain time frame? Will the public get access to the state of the art ice baths, pressure chambers and the like? Who makes these decisions and is it fair?

So i'm curious. As it's a shared facility with the public, what happens when the club requires use of an area or machines but its being used by the gym members?

Those indoor basketball courts which can be configured to indoor footy drills - surely the paying public get dibs on them as a basketball court? I'd assume there will be the usual social sports that are played in most rec centres.

Similarly the pool and those sort of facilities. Does anyone know how its going to work - will it put players off that they have to effectively do their job whilst being concerned with handing equipment back within a certain time frame? Will the public get access to the state of the art ice baths, pressure chambers and the like? Who makes these decisions and is it fair?

I was under the impression the club had their own private part of the facility for the gym and pool etc. while the public had a separate one.

I've been on a detailed tour and can answer your questions:
1. The only truly 'shared' facility is the regular lap pool. Freo players will be swimming with the general public and that's it. They have their own hydrotherapy pools, spas and sauna - only the lap pool is shared
2. The gym is separate. Freo have their own space and its huge ... Has only the second 'sprung' concrete floor in the Southern Hemisphere- crown towers gym the other ( to stop resonance from weights dropping). It's also next to their sleep therapy room and high altitude room so you'd hope it's quiet
3.the indoor courts will have a specific time set aside for FFC each week. It has full and half ground Afl markings in addition to regular court markings
4. See above. The public won't get access to the Freo facilities.

To give some perspective - if you took the courts area and oval out of the equation and looked at the building, Freo control and occupy about 80% of the space... And this is a friggen MASSIVE building. There is literally rooms for every.single.thing a footy club could possibly think of.

The general public gym looks pretty sweet - and occupies the highest floor of the building, situated centre wing and looks straight out over the oval. Worth every cent of the member if you ask me.

Btw, both gambling and keratin toured the facility, the next day was when they inked contracts with FFC. It's seriously impressive...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been on a detailed tour and can answer your questions:
1. The only truly 'shared' facility is the regular lap pool. Freo players will be swimming with the general public and that's it. They have their own hydrotherapy pools, spas and sauna - only the lap pool is shared
2. The gym is separate. Freo have their own space and its huge ... Has only the second 'sprung' concrete floor in the Southern Hemisphere- crown towers gym the other ( to stop resonance from weights dropping). It's also next to their sleep therapy room and high altitude room so you'd hope it's quiet
3.the indoor courts will have a specific time set aside for FFC each week. It has full and half ground Afl markings in addition to regular court markings
4. See above. The public won't get access to the Freo facilities.

To give some perspective - if you took the courts area and oval out of the equation and looked at the building, Freo control and occupy about 80% of the space... And this is a friggen MASSIVE building. There is literally rooms for every.single.thing a footy club could possibly think of.

The general public gym looks pretty sweet - and occupies the highest floor of the building, situated centre wing and looks straight out over the oval. Worth every cent of the member if you ask me.

Btw, both gambling and keratin toured the facility, the next day was when they inked contracts with FFC. It's seriously impressive...

Had to quote you, because of gambling and keratin. Took me a moment.

Can you confirm there is a separate women's locker room?

And where will be the best place for training watchers to watch from?
And will Lyon have a scoreboard stand to lie on so he can watch training without the sun in his eyes?

Thanks for your response - much appreciated.

Your comment above regarding the oval - how does that work - do the public have free reign whilst training is not on?

Had to quote you, because of gambling and keratin. Took me a moment.

Can you confirm there is a separate women's locker room?

And where will be the best place for training watchers to watch from?
And will Lyon have a scoreboard stand to lie on so he can watch training without the sun in his eyes?

Damm iPhone.
Edit: hamling and kerstan!!

Best spot for training watchers will be up in the public gym- or there is a landing deck in the fwd pocket which is perfect, 1 story high and a nice height rail to lean against.
There technically is a separate women's locker room but it's actually one of the public change rooms that will be locked off when required by the women - it has a door through to the FFC sanctum which is why it will be used. As mentioned before, plans and construction were well under way before the announcement.

Damm iPhone.
Edit: hamling and kerstan!!

Best spot for training watchers will be up in the public gym- or there is a landing deck in the fwd pocket which is perfect, 1 story high and a nice height rail to lean against.
There technically is a separate women's locker room but it's actually one of the public change rooms that will be locked off when required by the women - it has a door through to the FFC sanctum which is why it will be used. As mentioned before, plans and construction were well under way before the announcement.

Thanks for that. I guess the change rooms are the best option given the circumstances, but I would expect the first reno will address that.

Thanks for that. I guess the change rooms are the best option given the circumstances, but I would expect the first reno will address that.

It's literally just a spot to change and shower - the girls have access to the myriad of other performance enhancing facilities and services.... They ain't hard done by ;)

It's literally just a spot to change and shower - the girls have access to the myriad of other performance enhancing facilities and services.... They ain't hard done by ;)
Yeh, but the Men's change rooms are so huge and pretty (even though the lockers are in the away colours)!

That's a seriously impressive building.

Fremantle Council had no hope of retaining the dockers at freo oval with both the space available at Cockburn and the council stumping up $65mil to help build it

As an aside its hard to imagine Fyfe leaving with that training facility available to him

That was the exact thought I had to myself as I walked out the doors Keys.
I've done a tour of Collingwoods Lexus centre also and you cannot even compare the two.
If he's serious about getting the best out of himself and performing at the highest level then this facility provides that platform.
I had an unnerving sense of calm about Fyfes future after the tour

Meanwhile the eagles managed to * up laying the turf at Lathlain the first time and had to rip it up and start again. Amateurs!

Meanwhile the eagles managed to **** up laying the turf at Lathlain the first time and had to rip it up and start again. Amateurs!
Lyon had to do that with your football club when he got there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back