2017 - Non Yeo Discussion (Formerly Non Freo Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone who had money on hamish lasting the year out on breakfast radio on sen can almost put a lock on it not happening he just admitted this morning on the way into work that he thinks hes lost the last points on his license

Who knows gil might get his brother off though lol

Weren't Perth Glory once 3-0 up in a GF and then blew it? Probably on par with that.

Not sure of details of that, but interestingly after the game my mind went to the 2005 UEFA Champions League final when Liverpool were down 3-0 at the half and came back to make it 3-3 and then won it on penalties. The difference is the time factor. Liverpool had a whole half to get back into the game, in this case I'd say it's like being up 3-0 with 15 minutes to play. It can be done, but just doesn't, not in big finals were both teams are going to be accomplished pros.

As happy as I am as a Pats fan, and they played well and deserve the victory - but with 4-5 min to play, the only way Pats win that is if if Atl choked. Putting on the neutral hat for a moment, I do feel sorry for them.

Then Ryan takes a stupid sack and then a holding pen to take them out of FG range. That was a monumental f*** up.

Like us against the Pats 2 years ago, they should have run the ball.

I posted above how my mind wandered to the 2005 UEFA game. I had another flashback when Edelman made that catch off the feet of the Falcons defender, I felt that was payback for that catch from Kearse (I think?) that put your SHawks into the winning position in the first place. In both cases it was as much ass as class. (Also the famous 'helmet catch' when we lost it to the Giants in 07/8 ... I still get pissed off thinking about that play :mad::))

The difference is that the Pats took the good fortune and went on with it, in 2015, Seattle didn't take the gift that was handed to them.

I'd be shocked if WCE finish as low as 8th. I'd love to see them fail, but they should do pretty good. I think Geelong and Hawthorn will play finals, very easily too.

Barlow will get a fair few, Mzungu and de Boer not so much, they're mostly depth and leadership for the NEAFL team, Silvagni yes, should play quite a bit, realistically he is best 22 in Carltons team with ease.
Sorry for the intrusion guys, just out for a stroll (no emphasis on the sTROLL, just genuine discussion).
Our defence is one of the few areas where we are actually top notch. I can't see who Silvagni would replace. I was very sceptical of his recruitment when we got him, but now think it wasn't a bad move, but he's only backup and I'm 99% sure he is rookie listed, so would need to elevated to get a game.
Forgetting the rookie problem, you say he's best 22 for us 'with ease'. I'd be interested in who you think he'd replace?

Sorry for the intrusion guys, just out for a stroll (no emphasis on the sTROLL, just genuine discussion).
Our defence is one of the few areas where we are actually top notch. I can't see who Silvagni would replace. I was very sceptical of his recruitment when we got him, but now think it wasn't a bad move, but he's only backup and I'm 99% sure he is rookie listed, so would need to elevated to get a game.
Forgetting the rookie problem, you say he's best 22 for us 'with ease'. I'd be interested in who you think he'd replace?
I'd have him before Marchbank, Plowman and possibly even Rowe. Actually, the only tall I would select before him would be Weitering. But look, this is just an opinion on very limited knowledge and feel free to completely disagree.

I'd have him before Marchbank, Plowman and possibly even Rowe. Actually, the only tall I would select before him would be Weitering. But look, this is just an opinion on very limited knowledge and feel free to completely disagree.
I do - massively, but that's fine. :)
In 7 seasons he's never played more than 15 games and only hit double figures twice. I realise injuries have played a part, but he's also struggled to cement a spot.
Marchbank was looking at being a part of the best 22 for GWS before he got injured and he's one of the few players that they weren't impressed with losing. As long as he's fit, he won't miss many games.
Plowman had a pretty good 2016 with no preseason and can play both tall and small. He played 19 games and didn't miss a game after coming in at round 4. Is 22yo and won't be replaced by a 29yo with 53 career games.
Whilst Rowe isn't considered one of the best defenders in the league, he is pretty much the only player capable of taking an oppositions gorilla forward each week and works well in the team defence structure that we now use. He was the league leader in 1%ers and plays over 95% game time. Has placed top 5 in our B&F and was part of the leadership group. He can also pinch hit in the ruck and move forward if needed.

The only way I see Alex getting games is through injury, but I feel we may also be more inclined to give games to the likes of Glass-McCasker (also rookie listed) or Macreadie (1st year player). To be honest, I would probably have Simon White and Jaksch ahead of him too. I would say he's been brought in to play VFL and help develop JGM and Macreadie.

I know I'm on your board, so don't want to start an argument. We are all guilty of overvaluing our own players, past and present.

As a side note, FWIW I think Barlow is best 22 at GC without doubt. They've brought a lot of kids in this year and most won't play right away. He walks into the side easily.

Thanks for responding :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 7 seasons he's never played more than 15 games and only hit double figures twice. I realise injuries have played a part, but he's also struggled to cement a spot.
Marchbank was looking at being a part of the best 22 for GWS before he got injured and he's one of the few players that they weren't impressed with losing. As long as he's fit, he won't miss many games.
Plowman had a pretty good 2016 with no preseason and can play both tall and small. He played 19 games and didn't miss a game after coming in at round 4. Is 22yo and won't be replaced by a 29yo with 53 career games.
Whilst Rowe isn't considered one of the best defenders in the league, he is pretty much the only player capable of taking an oppositions gorilla forward each week and works well in the team defence structure that we now use. He was the league leader in 1%ers and plays over 95% game time. Has placed top 5 in our B&F and was part of the leadership group. He can also pinch hit in the ruck and move forward if needed.

The only way I see Alex getting games is through injury, but I feel we may also be more inclined to give games to the likes of Glass-McCasker (also rookie listed) or Macreadie (1st year player). To be honest, I would probably have Simon White and Jaksch ahead of him too. I would say he's been brought in to play VFL and help develop JGM and Macreadie.

I know I'm on your board, so don't want to start an argument. We are all guilty of overvaluing our own players, past and present.

As a side note, FWIW I think Barlow is best 22 at GC without doubt. They've brought a lot of kids in this year and most won't play right away. He walks into the side easily.

Fair enough, but I hope you understand that I don't over estimate the Dockers players when they go to other teams. I'm not really sure that Barlow will get many games at Gold Coast and I'm sure Debeor and Mzungu won't get many or any. I really do not understand how players like Danyle Pearce, Nick Suban and Dawson make it into the Freo line up to be honest. Silvagni is a really interesting case. In my opinion, he is the best key defender behind Luke Macpharlin that the club has had over the last 5 years. (Michael Johnson is more of a rebounder out of defence than a key defender) That is a pretty big call given that the Dockers made a grand final in 2013, and, apart from last year, have been in the top 4 for the past 4 or 5 years. So why was he never picked - a combination of being on the wrong side of the tribunal, being often injured, and the absolutely mind blowing decision that Ross Lyon has in playing Dawson before him. (Remember Dawson was delisted twice, so would not get a game if not for Lyon).
Silvagni has kept Buddy and Hawkins quiet. He rarely gets beaten. He is ridiculously courageous. He should have been a walkup start in every Dockers game when they were top 4 in the league, so he definitely should be a walkup start at the Blues. If I was a coach at the blues, I would put Silvagni on gorilla forwards in a heartbeat before Rowe (I have seen Rowe outmarked by Fyfe). Anyway, it is just my opinion.

Unfortunately for us, Sylvagni ha a bit of a knack of being injured at the same time as your best 22 is also injured. If he wasn't, I think he could have forged a decent best 22 career for us, especially following MacPharlin retiring. Very competitive man. But depth is probably his career position now.

Rowe top 5 in your B&F? Oh no

Here's my favourite Rowe moment

Rowe top 5 in your B&F? Oh no

Here's my favourite Rowe moment

I'm not sure what that proves in the Rowe/Silvagni argument? I've already stated that he's not the best in the league, but even the best can be beaten from time to time. For instance, how good is that kick from Fyfe at around the 3:05 mark? That kick doesn't define Fyfe as a player though.

What a cop out. No one to blame but himself.

Oh, pigs arse.
He's to blame for being a young draftee and being seduced by the leadership team to consume heavy drugs like the rest of them ?
An absolutely putrid organization. One dead, one flatliner, three whose lives are wrecked, this kid and who knows how many more to come.

Oh, pigs arse.
He's to blame for being a young draftee and being seduced by the leadership team to consume heavy drugs like the rest of them ?
An absolutely putrid organization. One dead, one flatliner, three whose lives are wrecked, this kid and who knows how many more to come.
"But it's all ok... they won a flag", west coast supporter

"But it's all ok... they won a flag", west coast supporter
Freee cups m8. W0t U got?

Is it just me, or is every WCE sychopant on social media incapable of coherent discussion, or is it that they just generally can't reply fast enough with the need to smugly blurt out the 1st thing that comes to their mind overruling their need for legible sentencing?

I agree with you ep.
To many people in society now days are happy to palm off their pore choices on any target if it helps them avoid taking responsibility for their own actions.
We all make poor choices in life and some cost us more then we would like, unless he owns his poor decision making and the consequences that come with them his life will continue down a dark path.

Maybe. I think people tend to a fair bit of fundamental attribution error when blaming people for this kind of stuff. If it is true that he was intensely pressured then i'd be less inclined to blame him. An 18 year old walking into an environment where guys he has looked up to since he was 12 tell him 'you will do this or you will be out?'. I'd have done it 100% at 18, no question. Obviously he's had the opportunity to reform since, but genetics (and family support) plays a serious role in ongoing addiction and it's very possible he got the s**t ones. Really just highlights how difficult it is to get out of that hole once you've dug yourself halfway to China.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back