Hampden Football League Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

The word on the footy street is that justine and co at the Standard (who do a good job on limited Fairfax budget,) are miffed that Port F didn't take their " hampden's prototype player" article seriously...apparently players took the #iss out of it and filled in each others names...some editing took place to generate half sensible answers.. wouldn't have thought that this was great PR with the districts main football communication/reporting outlet.

The word on the footy street is that justine and co at the Standard (who do a good job on limited Fairfax budget,) are miffed that Port F didn't take their " hampden's prototype player" article seriously...apparently players took the #iss out of it and filled in each others names...some editing took place to generate half sensible answers.. wouldn't have thought that this was great PR with the districts main football communication/reporting outlet.

Probably why they put the line "The Seagulls players chose the best on their list. When really it was meant to be the coaches.

Sandy Robinson looks to have signed with port fairy

Seagulls need to win it this year, as there is no possible way they can keep that list in tact next year and be under a salary cap if AFL Western properly police and enforce it.
Sully, Robinson, Holmer & Nicholson - there's conservatively 100k in match payments for only 4 players..

Nick Johnstone to leave north warrnambool, and to play at Heywood in the twos. If he is to play

Seagulls need to win it this year, as there is no possible way they can keep that list in tact next year and be under a salary cap if AFL Western properly police and enforce it.
Sully, Robinson, Holmer & Nicholson - there's conservatively 100k in match payments for only 4 players..
There's no point worrying about it, the league will let them get away with it until they win a flag.

There's no point worrying about it, the league will let them get away with it until they win a flag.
HFNL don't police the salary cap - AFL Western are the administrators of the comp.
Having said that any salary cap will be very hard to police and enforce

HFNL don't police the salary cap - AFL Western are the administrators of the comp.
Having said that any salary cap will be very hard to police and enforce

Just let all clubs go for it - $$$$ and players. Perhaps after Port get their premiership everything will become a more even playing field.

Good to see Hamilton picking up a few decent recruit. Be good to see them climb the ladder.
Portland yet to sign any new players I know of. Once again the South West league seem to be picking up more players and Portland struggle to attract recruits. Could be Terang, Portland bottom two sides this season. Disappointing

Good to see Hamilton picking up a few decent recruit. Be good to see them climb the ladder.
Portland yet to sign any new players I know of. Once again the South West league seem to be picking up more players and Portland struggle to attract recruits. Could be Terang, Portland bottom two sides this season. Disappointing

I reckon TM might surprise a few this season. Not saying finals by any stretch of the imagination but reckon last season would have done them wonders. Would be surprised to see a 7-8 placed finish. Lack the star talent but keeping a group together is important and if they can do that with the youth coming through they should be alright. Now they've picked up a lot of Sharks too the youth depth will be stronger.

I reckon TM might surprise a few this season. Not saying finals by any stretch of the imagination but reckon last season would have done them wonders. Would be surprised to see a 7-8 placed finish. Lack the star talent but keeping a group together is important and if they can do that with the youth coming through they should be alright. Now they've picked up a lot of Sharks too the youth depth will be stronger.
Terang might be doing it a bit tougher I would guess. Depth not there and not many mature ones around and not having under 16s 3 years is starting to show. It could be a real battle for them over the next few years.
Camperdown have forked out $550 a game for a full back. Cobden lost a promising under 18 to Apollo Bay.
Whats clubs training numbers like around the area?? Hearing a lot of clubs getting around 17-25 which I would have thought would be down from previous years. Footy starting to lose its appeal??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terang might be doing it a bit tougher I would guess. Depth not there and not many mature ones around and not having under 16s 3 years is starting to show. It could be a real battle for them over the next few years.
Camperdown have forked out $550 a game for a full back. Cobden lost a promising under 18 to Apollo Bay.
Whats clubs training numbers like around the area?? Hearing a lot of clubs getting around 17-25 which I would have thought would be down from previous years. Footy starting to lose its appeal??

Camperdown set to announce a couple more signings from WA too, one that could be quite a good get depending how he recovers from an injury-ravaged 2016.

Terang do need to find a few more bigger bodies even if they're from weaker leagues just to help shoulder the load for the younger ones.

3 major league clubs is enough for the town of W'bool as w'bool and Souths are battling for numbers in the reserves. Then u got Port Fairy and Koroit that are grabbing players from the town of W'bool, and they struggle with numbers in the reserves 2. Half of the Koroit players are from W'bool and most of their netballers are 2.

Beachboy u r half right mate- i understand what you're saying and let's be fair- Koroit clearly benefits from its proximity to wbool. As for netballers i have no idea and will take your word on that... but in terms of the footy club there would be only a small handful of blokes FROM Warrnambool that play at Koroit. Most its list are local koroit families and lads from surrounding district eg Caramut, Hawkesdale, even Apsley!! Living in warrnambool yes - from warrnambool...no

Beachboy u r half right mate- i understand what you're saying and let's be fair- Koroit clearly benefits from its proximity to wbool. As for netballers i have no idea and will take your word on that... but in terms of the footy club there would be only a small handful of blokes FROM Warrnambool that play at Koroit. Most its list are local koroit families and lads from surrounding district eg Caramut, Hawkesdale, even Apsley!! Living in warrnambool yes - from warrnambool...no

I think Beach Boy might be way more than half right. Anyhow that aside, judging by the clearances in to go to Koroit this season the trend is changing dramatically this year.

Will paulin from Warrnambool is of to Nirranda. Terang have signed two young lads from up Darwin way, be interesting to see if they last the long cold winter. Also hearing a few rumors that Cedric coxs brother at camperdown has a bit of work to do if he wants to be anything like his brother.

Watched Souths take on Kolora Noorat yesterday. South's new/returned players were great in Hussey, Saunders, Youl, Niddrie and Blackney-Knotta. Souths won by a few goals I'm guessing, but Kolora did take it up to Souths and were no pushover. Souths still need to work on parts of their forward structure. Wouldn't be surprised if Youl plays in the forward line this year. Any reports on any other practice matches that occurred this weekend? Next Friday Souths hosts Koroit.

Last edited:
Camperdown played irrewarra and won easy - played 6 quarters and a lot of players missing so wouldn't read too much into it

Will paulin from Warrnambool is of to Nirranda. Terang have signed two young lads from up Darwin way, be interesting to see if they last the long cold winter. Also hearing a few rumors that Cedric coxs brother at camperdown has a bit of work to do if he wants to be anything like his brother.
It is his cousin and he has been playing practice matches with the Rebels - lightning quick but still very raw and young

Watched Souths take on Kolora Noorat yesterday. South's new/returned players were great in Hussey, Saunders, Youl, Niddrie and Blackney-Knotta. Souths won by a few goals I'm guessing, but Kolora did take it up to Souths and were no pushover. Souths still need to work on parts of their forward structure. Wouldn't be surprised if Youl plays in the forward line this year. Any reports on any other practice matches that occurred this weekend? Next Friday Souths hosts Koroit.

Koroit played against ex saint Dom Gleeson's Torquay on friday night- very windy which made scoring near impossible at one end - Koroit won by 5-6 goals - 30 minute quarters as Tigers had big numbers wanting a run..it was a strongly contested ball in first half - but Koroit looked a fair bit fitter, slicker as game wore on. Their ball movement by hand was in complete contrast to Tigers kick long down the line. Wouldn't read too much into it for either team as the strong wind even made hand to foot ball drops a challenge.

Koroit played 23-24 players, with a few key personal missing. Lots of the kids got a run and will be better for it playing against men for the first time eg Jack O'Sullivan and there were no major injuries. Alex Pulling from Merrivale did a great job in his first game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back