Past #35: Aaron Black - 50 NM games - 64 goals - traded to Geelong for pick 92 in '16 trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

Aaron Black wouldn't have scored four goals against a serious Hawks defence.
True. The question is how is Black going to go in Geelong's forward set up in the season proper. I was hoping freo were going to get him on the cheap last year but we got McCarthy and Kersten instead

With all respect TFW:-
Come back and whack me at the end of the season.....I'm belligerent enough to stand my ground.

As evidenced by your highly outdated sig ... which suggests you won't cop a whack at the end of the year even if you are wrong about Black.

Anyway, to clarify, I said he could still be a gun because he certainly doesn't lack talent. Depends on how things pan out at Geelong, of course, and whether he responds to any setbacks in the right way.

But I remain convinced that he would have been finished as an AFL footballer if he stayed with us (insiders suggest that Aaron holds the same view, which is why he was desperate to get out).

With all respect TFW:-
Come back and whack me at the end of the season.....I'm belligerent enough to stand my ground.

You'll have to remind me :D

As evidenced by your highly outdated sig ... which suggests you won't cop a whack at the end of the year even if you are wrong about Black.

Anyway, to clarify, I said he could still be a gun because he certainly doesn't lack talent. Depends on how things pan out at Geelong, of course, and whether he responds to any setbacks in the right way.

But I remain convinced that he would have been finished as an AFL footballer if he stayed with us (insiders suggest that Aaron holds the same view, which is why he was desperate to get out).

I'll cop the whack when I'm wrong......I would have preferred the club to use the same model as Hawthorn and find a serviceable big man from another club (Vickery is the new cab off the rank mind you) I wanted Boyd and got bagged for it , how did that turn out last day in september last year.
I'm not a fan of Goldstein all his has is one AA badge on his chest (mind you so does Will Minson) now I'm not saying he is completely useless Im just not a fanboy ......you guys have a problem with me not liking him why keep raising the issue and trying to shoot down my credibilty.
Now because you've raised the issue others here will reply to this reply and the merry go rounds starts again.

We rated Black so good we almost took him as our 1st choice but we (the club) got wind and heard that other clubs ( between the 21 and 25 pick ) werent interested in him so the went at got Bastinac was it? then Black.

And through the strong belief we entered our premiership window they got Waite and prioritised him over Black with Brown emerging as a bonus as a main key forward when Waite/Petrie retiring.....

The club could of and should of done a better job keeping the coals warm for Black, thats all I'm saying.

Last edited:
I'll cop the whack when I'm wrong......I would have preferred the club to use the same model as Hawthorn and find a serviceable big man from another club (Vickery is the new cab off the rank mind you) I wanted Boyd and got bagged for it , how did that turn out last day in september last year.
I'm not a fan of Goldstein all his has is one AA badge on his chest (mind you so does Will Minson) now I'm not saying he is completely useless Im just not a fanboy ......you guys have a problem with me not liking him why keep raising the issue and trying to shoot down my credibilty.
Now because you've raised the issue others here will reply to this reply and the merry go rounds starts again.

We rated Black so good we almost took him as our 1st choice but we (the club) got wind and heard that other clubs ( between the 21 and 25 pick ) werent interested in him so the went Bastinac was it? then Black.

And through the strong belief we entered our premiership window they got Waite and prioritised him over Black with Brown emerging as a bonus as a main key forward when Waite/Petrie retiring.....

The club could of and should of done a better job keeping the coals warm for Black, thats all I'm saying.
I think Black would have thrived with the gameplan we appear to be playing (granted off one preseason game). The gameplan of the last year or so was not to his strengths at all.

I think Black would have thrived with the gameplan we appear to be playing (granted off one preseason game). The gameplan of the last year or so was not to his strengths at all.
Exactly although due to netspeed here in morocco....Ive havent seen the game, our gameplan wasnt aimed to Black's style but again thats not saying it couldnt be tweaked......Brown emerged and the club prioritised Brown as the main forward after 2017 season. The probably said that Black has to wait.......he did have a decent try in the VFL and he should have had a bite when he showed he was really trying.......

Yeah, nothing other than one AA.

Oh, except for the Syd Barker win and 2nd in consecutive years, top 10 in the Brownlow, seven seasons in a row of 20 or more games.

Yeah, except for those things, he just has a Will Minson memorial AA selection.

What a dud.

My hand is raised to forget the Sid Barker.....you got me.

You don't rate 7 seasons in a row of 20 plus games? A top 10 Brownlow finish?

I'm really surprised that you forgot his B&F, it was only the season before last. You seem to have a mental block when it comes to acknowledging what Goldy has achieved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't rate 7 seasons in a row of 20 plus games? A top 10 Brownlow finish?

I'm really surprised that you forgot his B&F, it was only the season before last. You seem to have a mental block when it comes to acknowledging what Goldy has achieved.
Yes, the AA season.

LTK its this simple,
  1. Im not a fan
  2. I prefer the Hawthorn strategy, and load up on getting serious talent in the forward and in the middle.
  3. Brownlow is based on the fairest and best. Not the best, so yes he is one of the fairest and best out there.

Yes, the AA season.

LTK its this simple,
  1. Im not a fan
  2. I prefer the Hawthorn strategy, and load up on getting serious talent in the forward and in the middle.
  3. Brownlow is based on the fairest and best. Not the best, so yes he is one of the fairest and best out there.

1. I know.
2. Can't argue against that, but I don't think having a dominant ruckman is the reason we haven't been able to achieve this.
3. It's still a pretty good indicator of how a player goes over a season. Can you think of any players who finished below 10th that year purely on the basis of being considered 'unfair'?

Yeah, easy to say that now.

Why did it take until Round 5 for him to even make the team?
Was recruited as depth on the cheap for a side which already had a really good forward line.

They shook it up, something we refuse to do, played to his strengths and he slotted in seamlessly.

It's clear that Geelong have a smarter more ruthless coaching staff.

Takes two to tango. I think that while the club mismanaged him on multiple fronts (playing in the wrong position, recruiting/keeping Waite, playing him while injured), during his last year and a half at the club he did himself and the club no favours (while on VERY good coin).

A fresh start probably helped him as much as being played in a better manner.

I'm by no means surprised he's doing well, but I'm not exactly thrilled about it either. That said I 'like' him more than Wells or Greenbucks.

Takes two to tango. I think that while the club mismanaged him on multiple fronts (playing in the wrong position, recruiting/keeping Waite, playing him while injured), during his last year and a half at the club he did himself and the club no favours (while on VERY good coin).

A fresh start probably helped him as much as being played in a better manner.

I'm by no means surprised he's doing well, but I'm not exactly thrilled about it either. That said I 'like' him more than Wells or Greenbucks.
Great effort by Aaron - looked very comfortable at the level. Not sure what it really means for us now - nothing really i guess. Kind of weird really - we are paying the bloke good money to kick goals for another side - we groomed him - high pick - now he is dead to us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back