Android phones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it really that important to get Australian stock? And wheres the best to get these ?

Came very close to buying a S7 edge for $860 Aus from duty free singapore but didnt because of the above reason and also a new product coming soon in March/April should see prices drop even more after being superseeded

Is it really that important to get Australian stock? And wheres the best to get these ?

Came very close to buying a S7 edge for $860 Aus from duty free singapore but didnt because of the above reason and also a new product coming soon in March/April should see prices drop even more after being superseeded

I bought mine off Kogan and I think it came from Hong Kong. Not sure what the stock was but is working perfectly, and I think I am getting better reception on this then my past, australian bought phones. If in doubt jump onto the whirlpool forums and find the specific phone you are looking at and chat with them, they are pretty switched on.

Depends on how much you being able to get it fixed under warranty, you also need to make sure it supports the frequencies your local Telco uses

Is it really that important to get Australian stock?

Not necessarily. Just investigate the model on gsmarena.com first and see if their are numerous models and check the one you're set to buy supports our local networks. So long as it isn't a 'Asian' or 'US' model it should be fine and even if it is will probably be ok for Vodafone.

Thinking about getting a new plan with either:

Huawei P9
Samsung Galaxy S5
" "S7
iPhone SE

Leaning more towards the Huawei.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

If you're not in a hurry it might pay to wait a month or two as MWC (Mobile World Congress) is on at the end of February, it's the show where most major phone releases get announced. Once announcements and launch dates are out you might see a few bargains pop up to help clear older stock.

If you want one sooner....... The S7 is great but pretty expensive, I haven't seen the P9 but it sounds like a solid phone at a good price. The S5 is still a good phone despite being older, it's cheap but will probably stop receiving major Android updates shortly (if it hasn't already). The SE is a decent Apple device (and probably all most Apple users would realistically need), but it's Apple so if you're already on Android it may have it's downsides for you.

Cheers. The
If you're not in a hurry it might pay to wait a month or two as MWC (Mobile World Congress) is on at the end of February, it's the show where most major phone releases get announced. Once announcements and launch dates are out you might see a few bargains pop up to help clear older stock.

If you want one sooner....... The S7 is great but pretty expensive, I haven't seen the P9 but it sounds like a solid phone at a good price. The S5 is still a good phone despite being older, it's cheap but will probably stop receiving major Android updates shortly (if it hasn't already). The SE is a decent Apple device (and probably all most Apple users would realistically need), but it's Apple so if you're already on Android it may have it's downsides for you.
Cheers. There's some ok plans on virgin atm that I've been looking at in the $50-$55 price range per month...the deal ends at the end of this month, tho.

Down to these 2:

Huawei P9
Samsung Galaxy S7

Both sound like quite good phones so I'm on the fence atm.

Virgin has a deal $50/month for P9 and $55/month for S7. Both deals get the same... 4 gigs per months, with unlimited national calls/texts, and $300 international.

Thoughts anyone?
S7. More ram. AMOLED and higher resolution screen and better camera.

I actually heard that the P9 had the bit better camera, front and back. That's the only reason I hadn't committed to the S7 yet, as I do like taking pics.

Agree with the S7 but why not look at the Pixel phones? If the missus would let me spend the money, that would be easily the top of my list. Equivalent or better specs and you get the benefit of vanilla Android with all of the updates. I'm currently using a Nexus 5x and the benefits of first in line for updates on vanilla Android are really hard to go past. Best choice in phones I've made so far.

Its not a cheap phone but definitely worth it in my view

Down to these 2:

Huawei P9
Samsung Galaxy S7

Virgin has a deal $50/month for P9 and $55/month for S7. Both deals get the same... 4 gigs per months, with unlimited national calls/texts, and $300 international.

Thoughts anyone?
Get the HTC 10

Down to these 2:

Huawei P9
Samsung Galaxy S7

Thoughts anyone?
S7 hands down. As if you'd want to own a huawei.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with the S7 but why not look at the Pixel phones? If the missus would let me spend the money, that would be easily the top of my list. Equivalent or better specs and you get the benefit of vanilla Android with all of the updates. I'm currently using a Nexus 5x and the benefits of first in line for updates on vanilla Android are really hard to go past. Best choice in phones I've made so far.

Its not a cheap phone but definitely worth it in my view
Gonna have to be the S7, as it's a plan with virgin.

S7 hands down. As if you'd want to own a huawei.
Lol, ok. Sold!

Gonna have to be the S7, as it's a plan with virgin.

Lol, ok. Sold!

Fair enough. You'll appreciate the extra RAM and AMOLED screen then. Touchwiz, not so much. Before you do sign up, check when they are likely to bring you on to Android 7.11 as it its better. Maybe try and negotiate a bit extra on the deal as well but start with asking about 7.11

Got the Xperia Z5 Premium a couple of weeks ago and love it so far. The screen resolution is brilliant and jas the best camera of any phone I've had
Thanks for the input. Sounds like a very nice phone from what I've just read.

I think I'm still leaning towards the S7, tho. Overall it just seems to be a tad better in most respects, as far as I could tell anyway.

Also the deal for the S7 on Virgin atm (till the end of this month) on a $55/month plan gets u:

4 Gig.
Unlimited national calls/texts.
$100 Interational calls/texts.
free music streaming.
$100 credit, to be used on first couple bills.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Sounds like a very nice phone from what I've just read.

I think I'm still leaning towards the S7, tho. Overall it just seems to be a tad better in most respects, as far as I could tell anyway.

Also the deal for the S7 on Virgin atm (till the end of this month) on a $55/month plan gets u:

4 Gig.
Unlimited national calls/texts.
$100 Interational calls/texts.
free music streaming.
$100 credit, to be used on first couple bills.

I did a SIM only plan and for $40 I get
7 Gb.
Unlimited national calls / text
free music streaming (not used yet)
$200 international
Plus the usual carryover when I'm out of the country and build up a carryover.

Go on, buy the Pixel, you know you want to :cool: and use SIM only plan

Hi...I'm on the verge of buying a new phone and a tablet later on.
Some things for potential android buyers toconsider.

After owning 2samungs and observing samsungs new TW aka grace UI, I'm of the view that samsung has the best SW especially on edge models and if customization is important.

Imo, it's an act of extraordinary ignorance to claim current samung Sw sux.

4 things u might want consider

1...does the phone have b28
2...can it decode x265
3...does it have a 3.5mm headphone jack
4...does it have a premium DAC

The LG V20 has all this.

One more thing...it's absurd to state that some Chinese brand has a better camera than top end samsung....it's generally the case that samsung s7 wins the camera tests no matter website, but you'll never find any Chinese brand dicing it out with samsung.

The S7 has a pretty weak external speaker. Compared to phones I've had 3-4 years ago
Thks is the one thing lacking compared to my old HTC.

Use a wireless Bluetooth speaker though when streaming at home so not a big issue for me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back