Formula One in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I find both Ricciardo's and Verstappen's helmets very plain this year.

They just seem uninspiring, also who wants a huge carsales advertisement covering up almost a quarter of the front of the helmet? Are they DR's driver sponsor?

New Force India, I struggled to find a pic where the VMJ10 looks any good. Clearly the ugliest on the grid so far
f1-sahara-force-india-f1-vjm10-launch-2017-the-sahara-force-india-f1-vjm10.jpg

After the beautiful Renault was revealed yesterday, Force India have taken the wraps off the VJM10 and my God, it's hideous. Has a 2012 throwback stepped nose with a penis on the end and a below average livery to boot.

299113.jpg
Don't forget the Shark Fin that looks like someone just stuck a plank of wood on the back and painted it. Have Money troubles gotten so bad over there?

Don't forget the Shark Fin that looks like someone just stuck a plank of wood on the back and painted it. Have Money troubles gotten so bad over there?
Spot on! that shark fin looks ugly, almost like an afterthought IMO. I can guarantee it won't look like that for long, there's no aerodynamic benefit of a straight up and down trailing edge like that that I know of.

and I hope they've got McDonalds sponsorship in the offing for the front nose...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merc Engineers saying how powerful the new engine is and that the figures they've received from it are shocking news to them because they've made progress in areas of the engine they didn't even expect to make progress on.
Apparently it's exceeding all estimations.

If even a tiny bit of that is true and we see the Mercs being unbeatable again during the first few races this year I don't think I'll bother with the rest of the season.

Reading all the good news coming out of Mercedes has ****ed up the confidence I had in Red Bull to be fighting for wins. Sure Renault may have made 0.4s a lap gain MAXIMUM but the Mercedes engine was already much more powerful and just how many tenths have they gained with this new one... Damn! They're good.

We also hear that every AFL pre season Chris Masten is training the house down and set for a breakout year.
The teams have to talk themselves up at this point, I even heard Sauber talking about returning to the points table this year.
Pre Season testing next week might give a few more clues as to which teams actually have improved, but I feel as though Qualifying in Melbourne will be the true reflection of progress.

We also hear that every AFL pre season Chris Masten is training the house down and set for a breakout year.
The teams have to talk themselves up at this point, I even heard Sauber talking about returning to the points table this year.
Pre Season testing next week might give a few more clues as to which teams actually have improved, but I feel as though Qualifying in Melbourne will be the true reflection of progress.

I wouldn't compare Mercedes to Chris Masten though. No offence.

When the best say they've gotten even better, people usually listen. Mercedes has no reason to make any outlandishly bold predictions, because they're already at the top.
I find it hard to have any reason to believe that Mercedes are wrong here, other parties like Force India have stated the exact same thing that Mercedes has just come out and said -- That the engine is better than all their expectations.

Sure maybe Renault, Honda, and Ferrari have made significant gains as well but they were already playing catchup. Just how much more has Mercedes packed into this engine?!

I agree with you that we won't know everyone's real pace until Q3 in Melbourne, but, I think there's a justifiable point there for me and other people to get a little bit upset about. It may just be the case that Mercedes are better, again.

Mercedes has the most to lose from what they have just recently stated about their engine.
They're a big team, at the top of the pinnacle of motorsport, have had the best engine for the last 2 years. Everybody knows that, they really dont have as much to gain from making bold predictions as the smaller teams do.

They say their engine will blow everyone out of the water this season because it's gotten so much better. Yeah, cool, we know it's good. But is it now so good that a team in their position can say that? Well, I'm pretty sure a team at the top like Mercedes wouldn't say that unless they have the engine to back that up.
Imagine if their statement turns out to be false, and the engine really isn't that much better than last year? They will look like complete idiots for saying its exceeded expectations because they're not a team that 'expects' to be just a little bit better than last year. (Or even worse case scenario, the engine turns out to be worse -- highly unlikely)

Whereas if a team like Sauber makes bold predictions, they have much more to gain and much less to lose than Mercedes does.
So they've said they could be scoring points this year? Awesome. If they do then they'll look like geniuses and people will applaud them for being bold in their predictions. If they don't go on to score points this year then it's no real loss for them. They're Sauber, they're not expected to be at the top or even mid table. People know their budget and what they are working with. If they don't score points then it's just another year for them, life goes on.

I hope all this makes sense anyway, it's just that I feel like the top team doesn't really have much to gain PR wise by stating how great they've improved their engine unless it turns out to be actually true. Then it makes the rest of the competition and teams feel a tiny bit smaller.

Wow. If that doesn't fill you with confidence for the upcoming season...

ERS issue apparently. So glad it's not the ICE because then they would have been in deep s**t.

Hopefully they can figure out what's wrong with it. Looking on the bright side at least it happened now and not during Barcelona testing.

here's a pretty good analysis of all the new bits on the W08: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars/mercedes-f1-w08/#

one of the big talking points is this:

here's another view of it from behind

Mercedes have also been the most aggressive with the new rules relating to development in the area in front of the sidepods

It's going to be very interesting to see what Red Bull come up with, to see if they've gone in a similar direction to Mercedes or something different.

Mercedes have also been the most aggressive with the new rules relating to development in the area in front of the sidepods

I imagine that the comparatively straight forward barge boards on the other cars that have already been presented won't be what they rock up to Melbourne with

Remove this Banner Ad

Back