Opinion Best midfield in the game at the moment?

Remove this Banner Ad

BoyOhBoyWoweee

Draftee
May 15, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Before we head off into the 2017 season, which team do you guys think will have the most effective and powerful midfield and why?

GWS: Young in their prime and fast! Shiel, Greene, Kelly, Ward, Whitfield, Coniglio, $cully, Smith, Griffin, pretty fast and good
Geelong: Dangerwood. enough said really, Add in Duncan, Blicavs and its pretty handy
Adelaide: Sloane, Crouch brothers, Cameron, Thompson is a pretty tough core and add Hampton
Sydney: Tough hard inside mids with Jack, Hanners, JK3, Parker, McVeigh, Heeney and Mills

Last edited:
GWS: Young in their prime and fast! Shiel, Greene, Kelly, Ward, Whitfield, Coniglio, $cully, Smith, Griffin, pretty fast and good
Geelong: Dangerwood. enough said really, Add in Duncan, Blicavs and Bartel and its pretty handy
Adelaide: Sloane, Crouch brothers, Cameron, Thompson is a pretty tough core and add Hampton
Sydney: Tough hard inside mids with Jack, Hanners, JK3, Parker, McVeigh, Heeney and Mills
As much as I dislike them, surely the Bulldogs get a mention?

Also, didn't Jimmy Bartel retire last year? I'm pretty sure he did...

As much as I dislike them, surely the Bulldogs get a mention?

Also, didn't Jimmy Bartel retire last year? I'm pretty sure he did...
Totally forgot about Jimmy, but nah not the Bulldogs, Bont, Hunter and Macrae can be handy though, More like a very solid backline and a a dangerous forward line

Totally forgot about Jimmy, but nah not the Bulldogs, Bont, Hunter and Macrae can be handy though, More like a very solid backline and a a dangerous forward line
Liberatore? I'm sure there's others... I can't think of any myself right now.

Dahlhaus, Picken, Daniel as well. Statistically we were the best last year so I'd expect us to be one of the better midfields again.

On paper, GWS looks the best. All are in their prime now and they'll be tough to beat. I think they're beatable if you can get on top of their midfield but I don't think that'll happen very often anymore.

Sydney, Geelong, Adelaide will probably be up there again. Melbourne showed some good signs last year and adding Lewis and Gawn probably dominating more with the new ruck rules, I could see them becoming one of the better midfields.

Kidding right?
Hunter, Macrae, Bontempelli, Daniel, Wallis, Liberatore, Dahlhaus.

It's the sole reason they made the grand final as they virtually had a completely banged up backline.

Just a question, did you actually watch and pay attention to any of our games last year?
I'm not saying your mids are bad, i just don't rate them compared tothe teams i stated, they have a very good defence and forward line. JJ rebounds very well as does Wood and Dahl is more of a Forward who rotates through the Midfield

Top three are pretty clear IMO:

GWS – Shiel, Ward, Coniglio, Scully, Kelly, Whitfield, Griffen + Greene, Hopper, Taranto

WBD – The Bont, Libba, Dahlhaus, Macrae, Hunter, Wallis + Picken, Daniel, Stringer, Dunkley

Sydney – JPK3, Hannebery, Parker, Heeney, Jack + Mills, McVeigh, Jones(?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS – Shiel, Ward, Coniglio, Scully, Kelly, Whitfield, Griffen + Greene, Hopper, Taranto

WBD – The Bont, Libba, Dahlhaus, Macrae, Hunter, Wallis + Picken, Daniel, Stringer, Dunkley

Melbourne's midfield is top 5 as well:

Viney, Lewis, Jones, Trengove, Tyson, Vince + Brayshaw, Petracca, Melksham, Bugg, Salem
They also have the best ruckman in the competition giving them first use. It's only why I personally rate that midfield as without Gawn, they would not be going to the places they will this season.

I'm not saying your mids are bad, i just don't rate them compared tothe teams i stated, they have a very good defence and forward line. JJ rebounds very well as does Wood and Dahl is more of a Forward who rotates through the Midfield
So you don't rate Bont (best under 24 in the comp), Libba (who was statistically the best at clearances and tackles before he did his knee), Macrae (absolute star, one of the best wingers in the comp), Hunter (another one who is arguably one of the best wingers in the comp), Picken (second in the Gary Ayres medal), Dahlhaus (who despite what you say, plays a lot of midfield minutes and rests forward), Daniel (second in the Rising Star Award and is one of the best young players in the comp), and Josh Dunkley, who has shown enough signs of being a star of the future. And you don't put them in your top four. If you actually watched our games, you would see that our midfield was dominating other teams, even the ones you are rating above ours. You would also see that our forwardline had trouble converting and could have been a whole lot better this year, and was probably our weakest position.

Melbourne's midfield is top 5 as well:

Viney, Lewis, Jones, Trengove, Tyson, Vince + Brayshaw, Petracca, Melksham, Bugg, Salem
They also have the best ruckman in the competition giving them first use. It's only why I personally rate that midfield as without Gawn, they would not be going to the places they will this season.

Forgot Oliver too, who is arguably the most promising of them all.

I think we're around the same mark as Collingwood, their absolute top end is a bit above ours but we've got (IMO) a ridiculous amount of young talent in the middle that is going to improve quite quickly.

Seems to be that GWS, Sydney, Doggies, Geelong, Dees and Collingwood have got the most mentions.
I think Geelong's midfield is very top heavy and doesn't run as deep. Outside of Selwood and Dangerfield, it drops away significantly compared to the other contenders. Still, I'd have them 6th after Collingwood.

If I were to do a top 8 midfield, it'd be:

1. GWS
2. Sydney
3. Bulldogs
4. Melbourne
5. Collingwood
6. Geelong
7. West Coast
8. Richmond or Fremantle

The Sydney one is handy except in Grand Finals when most of them go missing.

If it was not for JPK and Tom Mitchell in last years GF it would have been a 2014 like belting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back