News New Jumpers for 2017 - All changes in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it quite deserves the hyperbole that has been dished up, but at the very least it was naive of Port not to acknowledge that the Suns share the colours of China and some people could be swung by that fact (particularly if Port lose)

I'm with you on this. The idea that China would rally onto the GC bandwagon over colours is ridiculous, that's like saying we'd all back Green Bay if there were ever a NFL game in Australia, because they just happen to be green and gold. The game itself will get people searching 'AFL' etc in China and finding the league and the game. The fact that one team happens to be a popular colour combo is irrelevant.
The biggest reason I supported the Eagles as a kid was because of their colours. Its the same Colours as the Sri Lankan cricket side and it was a no brainer that i go for the Eagles, even though i was living in Freo.

The biggest reason I supported the Eagles as a kid was because of their colours. Its the same Colours as the Sri Lankan cricket side and it was a no brainer that i go for the Eagles, even though i was living in Freo.
It'll happen, you'll definitely get the "oh I like the colours so I'll go for them" group (it's why I support the LA Rams in the NFL). However I don't think it'll be such an open and shut case.

It'll happen, you'll definitely get the "oh I like the colours so I'll go for them" group (it's why I support the LA Rams in the NFL). However I don't think it'll be such an open and shut case.
Theres gonna be plenty of factors but I think Chinese culture will play a huge part in this. Compared to a lot of countries china is very patriotic and people would be more swayed to support a team that has identical colours to their flag than to support another team with different colours to theirs. in china red is a significant colour as it is a symbol of good fortune and joy.

having been in Shanghai for the last 2 years, I have to agree with everyone that says it is an issue. Black is associated with bad luck and red is extremelly associated with anything positive. Chinese are way more attached to colours and numbers and superstition surrounding them than we would ever dream of.

Nike 2001(this colour is widely recognised as the brightest sash we have had) vs Puma 2017 comparison pic

24B074D4-6E04-4A99-B536-0D1941E50C2C.jpg

Last edited:
having been in Shanghai for the last 2 years, I have to agree with everyone that says it is an issue. Black is associated with bad luck and red is extremelly associated with anything positive. Chinese are way more attached to colours and numbers and superstition surrounding them than we would ever dream of.

This is 100% correct, after living in Asia for over 10 years, superstition is paramount to the way of life, and not just China.

If you don't think that colour is important in cultures you're naive.

Looks like Huwaei will be the 2nd major sponsor'
View attachment 339205

And just another reason the local Chinese will be getting behind the Suns.

Power will be the rich man's club, with Mr Gui's billions, the Suns will be the 'people's' club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is 100% correct, after living in Asia for over 10 years, superstition is paramount to the way of life, and not just China.

If you don't think that colour is important in cultures you're naive.

And just another reason the local Chinese will be getting behind the Suns.

Power will be the rich man's club, with Mr Gui's billions, the Suns will be the 'people's' club.
All in all, a major stuff up by Koch & Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back