Previous TFL Seasons

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Former_Australian_Rules_Football_Competitions_in_Tasmania

Here it is havent done much but will add some more tommorow got about 20 leagues from the 30s to 60s on a pad next to me from that Aussie Rules in tassie book.

I was having a cuppa with my grandfather today, was telling me he played in the late-30's and early-40's on the NW Coast for Elizabeth Town before he headed South when he joined the Army.
Reckoned he played an intra-club game for Hobart at Boyer, got injured playing HBF by some guy that apparently used to turn up every pre-season at clubs in his trusty old black & white guernsey trying to get a game and was known for being a bit of a hack with no skill (just used to drive his knees into his opponents all the time), so Pop was out for awhile, left Hobart and joined Brighton (not related to the current Brighton in the SFL who were formerly known as Mangalore) in the Southern Districts FA comp.
The Brighton of 1947 wore Brown & Gold stripes, other teams he played against were the Glenorchy Rovers - the team New Town DFC merged with in 1957 to become today's Glenorchy Magpies.
Glenorchy Rovers wore Red & White! - How ironic :p
Rovers home ground was Eady Street Recreation Ground (KGV wasn't built yet), currently the local rugby team's ground.
There was Bothwell, South Hobart, Bridgewater, Forcett in the comp then as well.
One team wore Back & White but he couldn't remember which one.
New Norfolk (who wore Black & Yellow in the SDFA from 1934-1946) and Clarence had joined the TFL that same season from the SDFA.

GreyBudgie

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2008
New Town
Other Teams
Glenorchy, Arsenal,
I was having a cuppa with my grandfather today, was telling me he played in the late-30's and early-40's on the NW Coast for Elizabeth Town before he headed South when he joined the Army.
Reckoned he played an intra-club game for Hobart at Boyer, got injured playing HBF by some guy that apparently used to turn up every pre-season at clubs in his trusty old black & white guernsey trying to get a game and was known for being a bit of a hack with no skill (just used to drive his knees into his opponents all the time), so Pop was out for awhile, left Hobart and joined Brighton (not related to the current Brighton in the SFL who were formerly known as Mangalore) in the Southern Districts FA comp.
The Brighton of 1947 wore Brown & Gold stripes, other teams he played against were the Glenorchy Rovers - the team New Town DFC merged with in 1957 to become today's Glenorchy Magpies.
Glenorchy Rovers wore Red & White! - How ironic :p
Rovers home ground was Eady Street Recreation Ground (KGV wasn't built yet), currently the local rugby team's ground.
There was Bothwell, South Hobart, Bridgewater, Forcett in the comp then as well.
One team wore Back & White but he couldn't remember which one.
New Norfolk (who wore Black & Yellow in the SDFA from 1934-1946) and Clarence had joined the TFL that same season from the SDFA.

Great stuff guys on our Aussie Rules Heritage, at different points in History my suburb New Town had two Football League based here.

Buckingham Football Association

Clare Street Football Association

Now Clare Street is a soccer centre "Sigh" oh well times change go the "Norchy Rovers" Some great club names listed from the mist of time

GreyBudgie

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2008
New Town
Other Teams
Glenorchy, Arsenal,
Went to Glenorchy Library today and took some info from the Australian Rules Football in Tasmania book. Im am about to create a list of former tasmanian australian rules football competitions. Will have all the leagues on it but the bigger ones (ntfa, nwfu, Huon etc) will just have a link to main article.
Is this site of any help ?:footy:
http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/tasmania2.htm

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
Now Clare Street is a soccer centre "Sigh"

Oh how I wish it wasnt. Having the pleasure of going to Sacred Heart College across the road us people that want to play footy are always getting kicked off parts of the oval becuase its a soccer ground.Reading about the Clare st league and Railway FC makes me wish it was still a oval in the winter so we would have some goals. Luckilly the soccer clubs got a third set of goals set up so we just play over near them and turn them into footy goals.

Yeah it is thanks for that have seen it before but forgot about it.

On previous TFL seasons I purchased the century of Tasmanian football book published by the tanfl in 1979. Has quite a bit of info on the league in the 1800s and some photos. I could possibly start the 1879 to early 1900s now.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh how I wish it want. Having the pleasure of going to Sacred Heart College across the road us people that want to play footy are always getting kicked off parts of the oval becuase its a soccer ground.Reading about the Clare st league and Railway FC makes me wish it was still a oval in the winter so we would have some goals. Luckilly the soccer clubs got a third set of goals set up so we just play over near them and turn them into footy goals.

Yeah it is thanks for that have seen it before but forgot about it.

On previous TFL seasons I purchased the century of Tasmanian football book published by the tanfl in 1979. Has quite a bit of info on the league in the 1800s and some photos. I could possibly start the 1879 to early 1900s now.

Geez, Clare St was always just a bloody bog:eek:, it was even a bog when we played cricket on it!! Actually a mate lost a boot in the mud one game, next time u r having a kick over there, have a look for it will ya:p

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
Geez, Clare St was always just a bloody bog, it was even a bog when we played cricket on it!!
Certainly agree with that. The center of the soccer ground (or cricket pitches) and about 15 meters round that are boged most of the time. Everytime someone has run on to there to chase the ball they usually fall flat on their ass and get covered in mud. Can see why it was closed most of last winter to us cause of the rain.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Geez, Clare St was always just a bloody bog:eek:, it was even a bog when we played cricket on it!! Actually a mate lost a boot in the mud one game, next time u r having a kick over there, have a look for it will ya:p

By bloody oath it was! I remember it all too well! :D
If you've ever seen that episode of The Young Ones when the hippie medieval knight throws Neil off the back of his horse into the pile of mud as a gift to the Normans, that's exactly what Clare St used to get like. :eek:
Geez and players complain about the TCA lol.

Grey Budgie - my old pop's got a great memory for being well into his 80's, absolutely incredible.
Played a lot of footy up on the coast, reckoned Elizabeth Town used to get their best players poached all the time by the bigger clubs up there.
Told some great stories of memorable games, hits, players etc up there.
He came up to Youngtown a few weeks ago with us, loe & behold, he bumps into a couple of old fellas he used to play footy with up the Coast in the early 40's!
Was a like a big ol' reunion :p

GreyBudgie

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2008
New Town
Other Teams
Glenorchy, Arsenal,
By bloody oath it was! I remember it all too well! :D
If you've ever seen that episode of The Young Ones when the hippie medieval knight throws Neil off the back of his horse into the pile of mud as a gift to the Normans, that's exactly what Clare St used to get like. :eek:
Geez and players complain about the TCA lol.

Grey Budgie - my old pop's got a great memory for being well into his 80's, absolutely incredible.
Played a lot of footy up on the coast, reckoned Elizabeth Town used to get their best players poached all the time by the bigger clubs up there.
Told some great stories of memorable games, hits, players etc up there.
He came up to Youngtown a few weeks ago with us, loe & behold, he bumps into a couple of old fellas he used to play footy with up the Coast in the early 40's!
Was a like a big ol' reunion :p
Kingpin your Pop at Elizabeth town (Glad he was able to catch up with some old mates at young Town) I can imagine players being poached by the bigger clubs from Elizabeth town. In another life I was a sales rep and travelled through Elizabeth town on my way up to the NW coast it looked a small town 1 pub 1 church 1 servo and two to three houses am trying to imagine where the footy ground would of been. It is sad further down the road, towns like Hagley and Westbury no longer have any footy sides. Can imagine how tough the footy players of the 40’s must of been
Talking about old Country footy grounds this site has a lot of great photos of Tassie footy grounds. At the Licorice gallery
http://licoricegallery.com/home/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=28&g2_itemId=5412

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
Thought this would be an good place to post this.
------------------------------------------------
WANTED: Help for a book
Hey my dad is wanting to write a book on Tasmanian Football grounds past and present, and information on the clubs that played there. If anyone knows of any info or photos on a certain ground and the club that plays/did play there it would be much appreciated.

If you do I have a thread for it at the regional tassie board. http://bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=726808

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
Speaking of Tassie Footy pages on wikipedia I'm starting to make pages for the Old Scholars teams. Channel already have one and I've done DOSAs which is under DOSA Football Club

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

Kingpin thought you would find this site usefull. Has all the mercurys from 1860-1954 in a digital form. I'm using it to start the 1950 TANFL season.

Cheers NP4L - I came across that awhile ago mate, I've already got part of 1950 done, trouble is I've been absolutely flat chat for the past two months so haven't had time to get much done and I'll be in Sydney next month as well.
It's a work in progress..

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
I've already got part of 1950 done, trouble is I've been absolutely flat chat for the past two months so haven't had time to get much done and I'll be in Sydney next month as well.
It's a work in progress..

Ok, yeah I created the 1950 page on wikipedia and have started it I could finish it today. Ill just leave you the season summary section.

I have the first few rounds of the 1956 season as well from when I went to have a look at the state library last friday. If I have some time now between school and stuff I could start NTFA and NWFU pages for each year if we want to go that detailed. I mean the old mercurys seem to show similar amount of interest in all three so it wouldn't be hard to find info required.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond

Theo smithurst

Draftee
Feb 24, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm in the process of collating all information on all the previous TFL Seasons of the past, that includes the pre-WWII seasons leading all the way through to the Cascade-Boags League, the SWL and the current TSL competition.

Some useless info:
The Statewide League ran from 5 April 1986 until 9 September 2000.
An official total of 2,208,949 people attended the 1,427 fixtures at an average attendance of 1,548 per match.
The highest official crowd was 17,878 at the 1988 Grand Final between Devonport and Glenorchy at North Hobart.
The lowest official crowd was 399 at Windsor Park for the match between Launceston and Hobart in 1997.

• 1970 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1979 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1980 TANFL Winfield Statewide Cup - Click here
• 1980 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1981 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1982 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1983 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1984 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1985 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1986 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1987 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1988 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1989 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1990 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1991 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1992 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1993 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1994 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1995 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1996 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1997 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1998 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1999 TSFL Season - Click here
• 2000 SWL Season - Click here
• 2009 TSL Season - Click here
Got a question if its not to much trouble. I have a 1971 purity footy songs book with album.. it has all six teams photos was woundering what it would be worth..

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm doubting that it would be worth a lot as it seems there's quite a few still floating around in cupboards and spare rooms around the place, I've got three of them.
As for where to put them up for any possible sale, I have no idea, could possibly try Gumtree oe ebay or similar but I'm thinking that their value wouldn't be high.

Found this looking for something else. Great thread.

On Clare Street, it is ******* horrible to play soccer on too. Centre square is either like glass or boggy as hell. Always sore the day after.

hansie

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2006
Outeniqua Mountains
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Newcastle Utd, Miami Dolphins
Might be a good place to ask if anyone on here recalls a bloke named Leigh Heath? Believe he played for burnie and possibly was a state player? I play vets with him in Melbourne, he goes ok and a good bloke as well

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Might be a good place to ask if anyone on here recalls a bloke named Leigh Heath? Believe he played for burnie and possibly was a state player? I play vets with him in Melbourne, he goes ok and a good bloke as well

Yep played for the Burnie Hawks in the late 80s and early 90s. Good player from memory. Not sure if he was still there when they merged with the Burnie Tigers and became the Burnie Dockers under Peter German in 1995, think he might've been (too long ago, can't remember lol)

GreyBudgie

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2008
New Town
Other Teams
Glenorchy, Arsenal,

Leigh Heath went allright
1992 & 1996 B&F winner
1997 B&F Joint winner with Damien Brown

Also in the Burnie Dockers Hall of Fame
2016 Inaugural Burnie Dockers Hall of Fame inductees:
https://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/3935010/dockers-celebrate-history/

Nate37

Debutant
Nov 8, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle