Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Resolving the stadium issue. The government could've been seen as a hero.

Sorting out the WAFC is but one part of the jigsaw: yes/no?

Rental deal with each AFL club?
Will the clubs still be required to maintain royalty payments to the WAFC at 2015 levels?
Will club members be facing increased costs & IF SO how much?
Rental deal with the AFL for the finals?
Ground advertising?
Catering/pourage aka how much footy fans are going to have to pay?

Happy not to disagree, but I'd back Mr Goyder, it'd be a doddle for him compared to taking over Coles & getting it to perform - he comes with AFL money in his kit.

16790155_323260241405195_2691207863220568064_n.jpg

16585589_476879355769328_4143179105900167168_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They spend half the article talking about not being a generic drop-in pitch and trying to replicate some of the traditional WACA pitch features.

Yep it's all talk. They are saying all the right things to keep the people annoyed with test matches not at the WACA at bay.
Beautiful pr work

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...m/news-story/ac4ac737ebe54a603f83c4ef5749aed5

61043b39fa7731853c5ca950c68eb32b

Ron Alexander at Perth Stadium this week. Picture: Justin Benson-Cooper

Digital tributes, not statues, to adorn new Perth Stadium
Braden Quartermaine, PerthNow
February 26, 2017 12:00am

WA FOOTBALL’S history is set to receive few permanent monuments at Perth Stadium, with authorities declaring that tributes will have a digital focus and will change to reflect whichever sport is being held there.

The Sandover Medal Walk at Domain Stadium, which features paving stones engraved with the names of winners of the WAFL’s fairest and best award, will not be transferred to Burswood.

Football, which has function rooms at Subiaco named after greats including Graham “Polly” Farmer, Barry Cable, Bill Walker and John Worsfold, is also likely to lose the right to have rooms named permanently after the sport’s legends at the new 60,000-seat stadium.

article continues...

Sports fans will be able to catch a ferry, or jump off a private boat, at a new jetty to be constructed on the Burswood Peninsula.
  • Jetties at Burswood and Guildford to open up river transport
  • A third public transport ferry to be purchased
  • Plans for more river commuting
Premier and Tourism Minister Colin Barnett said the public jetty would be north of the Swan River Pedestrian Bridge, alongside the Perth Stadium, and would be available to service private craft and charter services on both event and non-event days.

He said construction of the jetty, for which $5 million had already been allocated and approvals were being finalised, was expected to start by April.

“The new jetty is part of a range of measures to promote the use of river ferries and improve connections between key tourist nodes on the river such as Fremantle, Elizabeth Quay, South Perth, East Perth and the Swan Valley,” Mr Barnett said.

A re-elected Liberal Government would provide $3 million to purchase a third public transport ferry to provide the capability for a public ferry service to the Perth Stadium during special events.

“This will also provide the capacity to expand other services when patronage demand increases with special events at Elizabeth Quay.”

In addition, a Liberal Government would allocate $3 million to build a jetty and land facilities at Guildford.

This would open opportunities for commuter ferries to the eastern suburbs and also provide heritage tourism opportunities by giving passengers on ferries already servicing the Swan Valley route, the chance to disembark at Guildford.

The Premier said a Liberal Government would continue to investigate options of other river ferry services such as a hop-on hop-off ferry loop service linking places such as Elizabeth Quay, Waterbank, Claisebrook Cove, Belmont Park, South Perth and Burswood Peninsular as well as a service between Canning Bridge, Matilda Bay and Elizabeth Quay.

A Liberal Government would also work with private operators to provide a fast ferry service between Perth and Fremantle.

“New bespoke low-wash vessels can travel at speeds that will reduce travel times from an hour to less than 35 minutes with minimal impact on river banks,” Mr Barnett said.

“Discussions with private providers are already well advanced and we will ensure Perth commuters have ferries as a viable and time-effective travel option.”

Amazing work has already begun in Dalkeith for one of the stops on the river.

This will be awesome, by opening our river, for perth and tourism.

This will be awesome, by opening our river, for perth and tourism.

Was on the river yesterday (40C) and can count on one hand the number of boats past the causeway
and it will remain that way until some openings are constructed.

Tourism ? It'd be nice to able to cruise from Fremantle to the Swan Valley but you cannot in a normal sized boat.

Last edited:
HEAR YE, hear ye, the gospel according to Ron Alexander:
  • Alexander, a star ruckman for East Perth, Fitzroy and East Fremantle in the 1970s and ’80s, said the Sandover Medal could still be recognised at Perth Stadium in some way.
    While not ruling out having some statues of footy greats, he said he was worried the stadium precinct would look like Karrakatta Cemetery if tributes focused on old-fashioned marble and statues.
  • Function rooms at Perth Stadium are likely to be given permanent generic names which would fit with any sport.“They can name the room whatever they like on the day that they’re there, but I think it’s important that when cricket are here that it’s the Geoff Marsh Room or whatever they want,” Alexander said. “Who cares whether it’s not the Matt Priddis Room on a Tuesday afternoon?”
  • Football has lobbied for a strong historical presence at Perth Stadium, but Alexander said the sport had done a “pretty ordinary” job of celebrating its own history at Domain Stadium. “There’s not much there. If you think statues are that important, where are your statues?,” he said.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/p...nise-reserves-competition-award-ng-b88398371z
Typical Alexander looking forward not back - I wont agree with the big fellow every time but I'm sure WA footy going forward have an ally, not an AFL sycophant.

• Alexander, a star ruckman for East Perth, Fitzroy and East Fremantle in the 1970s and ’80s, said the Sandover Medal could still be recognised at Perth Stadium in some way.
    While not ruling out having some statues of footy greats, he said he was worried the stadium precinct would look like Karrakatta Cemetery if tributes focused on old-fashioned marble and statues.
  • Function rooms at Perth Stadium are likely to be given permanent generic names which would fit with any sport.“They can name the room whatever they like on the day that they’re there, but I think it’s important that when cricket are here that it’s the Geoff Marsh Room or whatever they want,” Alexander said. “Who cares whether it’s not the Matt Priddis Room on a Tuesday afternoon?”
  • Football has lobbied for a strong historical presence at Perth Stadium, but Alexander said the sport had done a “pretty ordinary” job of celebrating its own history at Domain Stadium. “There’s not much there. If you think statues are that important, where are your statues?,” he said.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/p...nise-reserves-competition-award-ng-b88398371z
Typical Alexander looking forward not back - I wont agree with the big fellow every time but I'm sure WA footy going forward have an ally, not an AFL sycophant.

So you're pleased that there will be no lasting celebration of pre-AFL WA football history at the new ground?

I mean, the Eagles and Dockers will no doubt do justice to the champions that pulled on their guernsey on gamedays - but surely in your rush to pull yourself over being contrarian I don't see how it can be a good thing for guys who have shaped the sporting landscape of our state like Polly Farmer, Barry Cable, John Todd etc. to be essentially ignored by the stadium.

Sometimes you surprise me Kwality, I know you hate the WAFL but for you to agree that the WA football history outside of the Eagles and Dockers be cast aside is just mind boggling.
I have no idea what Rons role is but he is way off the mark here, I agree we have not done our history justice at Subiaco but this is the right time now to fix the stuff ups of the past.
I don't want to see statues of just Matera, Pavlich etc I want to see our truly great footballers honoured at the ground and it's surrounds and that includes our history from 100 years before the Eagles and Dockers.
How bloody difficult would it be to include the Sandover Pavers somewhere in the million pavers that surround the new ground?
Not to mention the likes of Cable, Walker, Todd, Whinnen, Dempsey, Michael, Moss etc.
All fine as long as they don't honour any football there but if they do and don't show our true footy history that will be a disgrace.

I think the balance the g has taken is a good one. Its not a cemetary or tribute to the dead, but a rememberance of those who were truly "great" at the G.

They are popular too. You often see people having their photos taken with them prior to games.

The key is selection, and this is what the G did well. No carey, no dunstall, no lyon. Not saying these blokes were not good, but its only the true icons of the game who get one.

Wa has a proud sporting history, except for that era when you all obsessed about Tim Zoeher. Celebrate it, but the very best of the very best only. And look outside just footy and cricket. Make it a home for celebrating wa sporting greatness, not just footy and cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back