Ben Cousins arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooked. Needs an involuntary admission into graylands mental hospital or straight jail time. Could have been GOAT, now all his memory does is serve as warning of the perils of ice addiction. It's pathetic really

Apparently he's been denied bail so he'll probably be detained in custody for at least a couple of weeks until his next hearing.

Whether or not he gets a longer stint in jail remains to be seen but it will probably happen sooner or later if he keeps going down this path.

Will be coming down hard in those 2 weeks you'd have to think. No doubt he would be straight back on it when he gets released though. No way he will ever get clean. He's too far gone.

You can't get arrested for having unpaid debts lol. Your friend is telling you a bit of a porky there mate!

Unless there was fraud involved, unpaid debts are civil actions, not criminal actions, and the consequences are going to be more along the lines of bad credit ratings, and potentially bankruptcy if there's enough debt involved.
You can certainly be arrested if the money owed is to the government, be it unpaid taxes-fines, I had a mate who did 6 months from both fines and unpaid GST (he was a taxi driver).

But he would have been given that option right? You can do time in the cells for $x amount per day I think...

I know that's how it used to work but I think they canned that a few years back (for money owed to the government), now you're given a certain amount of time and if you dont get the money you go to jail, this would only happen to muppets though, anyone with half a brain would've gone bankrupt to void the debt (pretty sure you can for tax debt, but fines might be a different matter).

You can certainly be arrested if the money owed is to the government, be it unpaid taxes-fines, I had a mate who did 6 months from both fines and unpaid GST (he was a taxi driver).

I would imagine that would be the only time it would happen, and even then, the Government would probably do everything in its' power to get the money through more civil means, i.e garnishing wages, etc

Anecdotal evidence taken into account, I still stand by the statement that prison time for unpaid debts, Government or not, would be a rarity in most cases, and only a very last resort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would imagine that would be the only time it would happen, and even then, the Government would probably do everything in its' power to get the money through more civil means, i.e garnishing wages, etc

Anecdotal evidence taken into account, I still stand by the statement that prison time for unpaid debts, Government or not, would be a rarity in most cases, and only a very last resort.

Not correct, search for arrest warrant civil case to get a better idea.

Agreed.

Cool bro, just thought you'd like to correct your thinking

If it needed correcting, I would.

You don't get jail time in Australia for the vast majority of unpaid or bad debts, almost never if it's basic debt like credit cards/personal loans/etc, unless there is some serious fraud involved, or unless those debts are Government debts like taxes or fines, and in those situations as I've said, it's rare, because the Government would rather you go on a payment plan or something of the sort instead.

If you're going to jail for something related to debt, you've done something more than any run-of-the-mill avoidance of paying bad debt. :rolleyes:

If it needed correcting, I would.

You don't get jail time in Australia for the vast majority of unpaid or bad debts, almost never if it's basic debt like credit cards/personal loans/etc, unless there is some serious fraud involved, or unless those debts are Government debts like taxes or fines, and in those situations as I've said, it's rare, because the Government would rather you go on a payment plan or something of the sort instead.

If you're going to jail for something related to debt, you've done something more than any run-of-the-mill avoidance of paying bad debt. :rolleyes:
Can you opt for jail rather than pay?

I honestly don't know if it's a voluntary option or not, but I'm certain that it's not something that would be forced upon you, unless there was an actual crime involved, such as fraud.

Almost all debts are covered by Bankruptcy, except stuff related to the Government I think. And for that stuff, they'd garnish your wages or set up a plan through your benefit payments if you're unemployed.

The Sherriff doesn't muck around, make him visit twice and you can expect a trip to the cells, the dirty campaigners visited me one day over a $120 fine for having my feet on the seats in a train, I decided not to pay because I was asleep at the time, anyway the Sherriff came around some months later demanding the money, he was a real campaigner, threatened to lock me up, long story short I paid it.

Last edited:
I know you used to be able too, but I think its changed now, if you owe the man he's going to get his money eventually, pretty sure after you're locked up the first time you're put on a payment plan, don't pay and back in you go, of course hardship is taken into account and the repayments would reflect your circumstances, as far as I know anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back