Autopsy JLT tune up 2.0 :: Vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Vickery is doing exactly what Clarko loves - playing his role. He seriously is David Hale 2.0

Sicily was good in defence, just needs to work on doing the kickouts or at least let someone else take them if he's not confident enough.

Despite JOM getting tagged in the 2nd half he was brilliant, probably the best we could've hoped for him at this stage if not better. Mitchell was terrific in around the contest, would honestly not be surprised if he led the competition this year in handballs.

As I said earlier in the thread the result is beyond meaningless and not concerning. The players should be the topic of discussion and not the result.
Sicily also needs to consider when to fly for the ball and when to do the more conservative team thing and spoil.

Thanks for
For those wondering about injuries, 5 players copped head knocks. Duryea got a knee to the head by Cunnington & copped a split eye. Came back on after stitches. Frawley copped a knee to the neck by Thomas in a marking contest. Came off shortly afterwards & stayed off. Shiels copped a beautiful hip & shoulder from Preuss. Was rattled but played on. Langford copped a head knock in a contest. Came off & stayed off. Fitzy copped a head knock when Cunnington rode him like a pony. Great mark. Given his slow recovery from a concussion last year, this one is a bit of a worry. Langford looked rattled on the bench. Chip looked a little less rattled but still uncomfortable.

Cheers mate.

I wonder if Gunston is going to play more on the wing this year (now that Roughy is back) ala Riewoldt. Vickery, Rioli and Roughead is a handful deep already. Gunston drifting into the forwardline with his hard running would be a nightmare.

I hope not. He is one of the very best HHF in the competition and hits the scoreboard consistently.

I felt when he played wing in the first half he got most of his ball backward of centre. In the second half when he played the HHF role I think he had three shots on goal, two from drifting back.

Interesting today Vickery, Gunston and Roughead didn't share the forward half at any point. Gunston played wing in the first half and Roughead played down back in the second half.

Jaeger O'Meara seriously good, Ty Vickery played his role well, Tom Mitchell just racks them up and will be great, Sicily playing across half back and should do for the season - Kade Stewart and Kieran Lovell look like they belong - and Shoe and resting ruck being the forward targets to bring the ball to ground was so so. Gunners playing up the ground. I can't see centre square midfield battles being anything but super ugly this season, and I mean SUPER ugly unless you like pinball so it's about getting numbers to the ball and then a spread - happy days. We spent too much time playing behind or kicking over the top of each others heads and as a result the backline was problemic and caught out many times. It wasn't a bad hit out, we weren't playing for sheep stations and both sides can take a bit out of it. Umpiring was quite mystical in retrospect - I don't expect that sort of latitude in the H&A. Rucks a worry.

A frustrating game to watch, but ultimately it’s just a preseason game: there’s no reason to wave the pitchforks yet. North had a young team but were playing like they had a point to prove. In many respects, I think this was their final and they played cohesively. We, on the other hand, played extremely lazy and sloppy. In other words, we had nothing to prove. Warning: Skip this post if you don't want a wall of text. It's a general report for those who couldn't watch the game.

Talking Points:
  • New Recruits Impressive: No doubt watching Lewis and Mitchell in other colours was a weird experience, but all three of our trade acquisitions showed exactly why the hard calls had to be made. O’Meara was electric in the first half, leading our clearances and adding a touch of class. He finished with 23 disposals and a goal. TMitch was getting down and dirty, with surprisingly clean disposal (except for towards the end of the game, but everyone was pretty flat then). He finished with 24 disposals. Vickery was probably the player most likely to take a mark in our side: finishing with 17 disposals, 2 goals and 6 marks. He does have a irritating habit of playing behind his man, but put together a very respectable performance. All three had disposal efficiency above 75%.
  • Shaky Defence: Even with North Melbourne’s two ‘twin towers’ not playing, the Hawthorn defence looked very suspect today. This wasn’t due to the younger players either, as Hardwick and Sicily went alright without setting the world on fire. Gibson was being beaten body on body, and his disposal coming out of the defensive 50 was reminiscent of Marley Williams. Frawley was looking good - as he always does - but an errant knock meant he only played 30% of game time. Stratton had a match to forget. Hodgey also had one to forget. Duryea looked shaky before copping a nasty knee to the head. This was without taking into consideration the height issues, as at times 206 cm 109 kg Braydon Preuss found himself matched against 193 cm 90 kg Kurt Heatherley. Kaiden Brand may have his faults, but looms as an important structural player.
  • Beaten Badly in the Ruck: McEvoy and Ceglar may not be the best ruckmen in the competition, but they can still go equal at the centre square while being dangerous around the ground. With both not playing, Marc Pittonet found himself the main ruckman with Vickery occasionally chopping out. The result? 45 hitouts from the North ruckman and 13 from our ruckman. Adding in Fitzpatrick’s cameo late into the third quarter and Shoenmakers lone hitout, we still only accumulated 19 hitouts. Pitto found himself completely outclassed by Preuss, finishing with only 2 disposals while offering next to nothing up forward. Vickery was much better around the ground, but only finished with 5 hitouts. Big Boy will be one of our most structurally important players going into the 2017 season.
  • Better for the Experience: J-Bomb was only ever expected to play a maximum of three quarters, but injuries to Langford and Frawley meant he was forced to play 81% of the game. His output dropped considerably in the fourth quarter, but he’ll be better for the experience. Tommy Mitchell’s fantastic disposal took a dip in the last quarter, courtesy of a late finish to the season, but he’ll be better for the experience. Kade Stewart, who was very impressive, ran out of gas. Long story short many of our players found themselves sapped of energy in the last quarter while a determined North kept running, which was ultimately what blew us away. It wasn’t enjoyable to watch, but players will be better for the experience.
Player Watch:

The Good:
  • Kade Stewart: Reminds me of Brad Sewell, albeit he’s not winning much of the ball. Kade was probably the standout young player today, with flashes of brilliance (blind handballs over his head to a teammate, beautiful snaps) and just sheer hardness at the ball. His output, like much of the team, dipped in the second half but the first half was an indication of what he can do. Stewart finished with 13 disposals and 2 goals, but it was the pressure he created that was good to see. With Rioli and Bruest having reasonably subdued games (they’ve got nothing to prove), and Poppy out, Stewart looked dangerous. I’m surprised he only registered 1 tackle because the blocks, bumps and shepards he applied were pivotal in getting the ball out of congestion. Disposal wasn’t at the great standard he usually provides. If he starts winning more of the ball he’ll be a lock for the best 22. Even gave a memorable clothesline.
The Average:
  • Pretty much all the fringe players can be considered in this category. Miles was OK and is a very clean user of the ball but didn’t do much to catch the eye. Langford (before injury) was going well but again only at 55% efficiency. Hardwick looked composed in defence but didn't do anything to standout. Sicily had some promising moments like a cracking run from halfback but also a few moments that made you query why he’s in the backline. Burton had great field kicking and awareness, but similar to last week just wasn’t able to impact the scoreboard. Shoenmakers in a similar position where he was reasonable around the ground but didn’t impact the scoreboard. Hartung won a decent amount of the ball (14 possessions) but didn’t provide us with much run and didn’t impact. Lovell only had 29% game time (the lowest of any mid) and finished with a respectable 7 disposals and 1 goal but had low disposal efficiency. Fitzpatrick had 5 hitouts with 37% time on the ground, and while he wasn't outstanding the side looked less shaky (still not great) with him in the ruck. WhiteX played very little game time (the lowest of any player) and only registered a solitary disposal. Heatherley competed well, but just gave away too much height.
The Ugly:
  • Marc Pittonet: For the second week in a row the young Pittonet had his colours lowered by the opposing ruck. Already facing an uphill battle against Goldstein, it was actually the young Preuss that monstered Pittonet. Preuss only had 6 disposals but had 27 hitouts and kicked 3.1. Pittonet had 2 disposals, 8 hitouts and kicked 0.0. It was actually miraculous that our midfielders - led by Jaegar and TMitch - were able to win so many clearances and contested ball at the start of the game. But as they tired, North started winning practically every centre clearance with their service. I believe Fitzpatrick has gone past Pitt as the third ruck.
Stray Thoughts:
  • Some interesting positions today. Gunston played on the wing with reasonable success, but provided us with less run and carry then usual. Hartung generally not running made me feel like even though Gunners on a wing works, it may put too much pressure on the other wingman to provide dash. Would have liked to see Henderson out there.
  • Roughead was played in the midfield for a large chunk of the match there, and looked good. Also rolled across the backline in the second half, probably to try and cover the loss of Frawley. That being said, our forward line felt lacklustre without Gunston and Roughead there and it still felt like we didn't have a genuine marking target besides Vickery without them there. Scott Thompson, an All-Australian calibre defender, was lining up against Ryan Burton. Still, JLT is a time to experiment.
  • I think that Sicily and Burton should be swapped around. Burton’s exquisite kicking and vision would be better utilised off the backline (ala Suckling), while Sicily’s jumping ability and marking prowess would be better up forward. Their positions in JLT game 3 will most likely give the best indication of their roles.
  • Still look a little slow out of the backline. Burgoyne should help this, but I’m going to put my neck out here and say that we may see the run and dash of Harry Morrison much earlier in the season than expected (lack of preseason games aside).

like k.stewart #40 for the second week in a row... he is in everything going for marks,lil knock ons, shepards, and good with the ball.
i think he will feature in our best 22, i would think he first in line out of the young mids and langford at this stage.

anyone know the story on jor will we see him in the pre season?

our back 6 will be the cause off greatest concern this yr.. lacked run and creativity..if we get the half back line right look out!

For me the result is very concerning.

Yes we were missing a few but so were North.

The game was played at H and A season intensity.

North are expected to finish bottom 4.

Am I just being silly or do others see it the same way?

What makes you think anyone apart from the youngsters or players with a point to prove treated this with the same intensity as a normal game?

Pitto and Hardwick don't seem to have improved.

Not sure about Kiwi Kurt, seems to get beaten one on one.

Sic will learn from his kick ins today, and I expect to see him in that role again in game 3.

Burger was sadly missed today.

At times North appeared to have 2 or 3 more players on the field. Were we not running as hard as we should have?

If Shoey could just hold those 'almost marks,' he would become a match winner.

How good would O'Meara and Mitchell be if we had a good tap ruck?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vando hawk 100% agree with u about
[QUOTE}
  • I think that Sicily and Burton should be swapped around. Burton’s exquisite kicking and vision would be better utilised off the backline (ala Suckling), while Sicily’s jumping ability and marking prowess would be better up forward. Their positions in JLT game 3 will most likely give the best indication of their roles.
  • Still look a little slow out of the backline. Burgoyne should help this, but I’m going to put my neck out here and say that we may see the run and dash of Harry Morrison much earlier in the season than expected (lack of preseason games aside).[/QUOTE

A few of our players got hard knocks during the game, but Norf seemed to come out of the game unscathed. Did they play the game harder than Hawthorn?

Positives -

*JOM + TOM are absolutely elite

*Vickery could be better than we think

*Stewart is a player, hopefully can be a top shelf mid

*Ruff was excellent

Negatives -

*None of our kids outside of Stewart and Burton look like coming on 2017

*Gibson looks embarrassingly bad, fingers crossed he is just coasting through the JLT

*Big Pitt can't get near it

*Our transition defence is pathetically inept, we were carved and sliced easier than fresh bread

*Our defence as a collective was terrible, Frawley/Gibson way off it and Heatherly is not close to being a league level defender

Overall -

Solid hitout, we have seen some ripping signs with our recruits and our big guns in Ruff/Gunno/Cyril all look super fit. Concerning is our defence which looks terrtible in all facets, and our kids don't seem to have come on like we would have hoped from 2016 (Stewart/Burton exempt).

What makes you think anyone apart from the youngsters or players with a point to prove treated this with the same intensity as a normal game?
This. If this game was at supposed home and away intensity, cheers for the heads up cheers, Foxtel ain't getting my cash for the coverage and I can then focus on a sport that's not as boring as fck.

Would love to know why we recruit mid sized fwds then try change them to half back flankers sicily,burton and now hardwick . I am all for players being flexible but Surely when they are so early in there development amd trying to find there feet in the afl they play where they are most comfortable .
Also i would love for us to go for a cheap tall defender and ruckman when they are are available for a packet of chips such as a henry shade or witts , if frawley goes down we are are screwed down back .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back