I-phone Data Retrieval

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys.

So my I-phone decided to reset itself of its own accord last night, so I've lost contacts, messages and photos.

Despite having backed it up, it says it can't retrieve it.

Just wondering if anyone else has any ideas of a possible solution or otherwise it's bad luck?

Cheers for the help.

Hi guys.

So my I-phone decided to reset itself of its own accord last night, so I've lost contacts, messages and photos.

Despite having backed it up, it says it can't retrieve it.

Just wondering if anyone else has any ideas of a possible solution or otherwise it's bad luck?

Cheers for the help.

Whats wrong with your backup? Can you access that? What does it say when you try to restore it to your phone?

edit:

also can you give your phone model and IOS version

Whats wrong with your backup? Can you access that? What does it say when you try to restore it to your phone?

edit:

also can you give your phone model and IOS version
Says it doesn't exist.

It's a 5 MD299X/A and software is 10.2.1

Says it doesn't exist.

It's a 5 MD299X/A and software is 10.2.1

iPhone models numbers start with A ie A1428, A1532

If you are using iTunes - Windows or Mac - they store files in different locations.

Also check that iTunes is pointing to the correct backup location. I'm assuming here that you haven't somehow deleted any backups. If they are in their standard location, iTunes should see them. Have to done any system restores / reinstalls etc lately?

iPhone models numbers start with A ie A1428, A1532

If you are using iTunes - Windows or Mac - they store files in different locations.

Also check that iTunes is pointing to the correct backup location. I'm assuming here that you haven't somehow deleted any backups. If they are in their standard location, iTunes should see them. Have to done any system restores / reinstalls etc lately?

Not always

New Zealand iPhone 5 32GB Black & Slate (GSM) Unlocked = MD299X/A

Not always

New Zealand iPhone 5 32GB Black & Slate (GSM) Unlocked = MD299X/A

I suspect if you hook it up to iTunes it will report it as A1428 or A1429. It will additionally have an MD number - the one you quoted does match an NZ iPhone 5

If it is an iPhone 5, then thats the model. If it doesn't report A1428 /A1429 and still claims to be an iPhone 5, you might have a Chinese knock off that masquerades as an Apple (yes, thats actually a thing)

Ok back to your problem, I need to know if you synched it with a Windows or a Mac machine as the resulting backup files get stored differently.

One of the problems with the iPhone 4 and later is when they reset, they do not spend time wiping the data from the phone. The onboard data is encrypted and resetting the phone destroys the encryption keys. So the data is there but generally unrecoverable. Apple may have something to do it but I doubt they would tell you if they do.

If you synched it with a Windows machine, the backups are stored in the AppData directory (subdirectories) and if you have done a system reset, I think that area gets overwritten (I'm not a 100% on that and I'd need to do some checking depending on what version of Windows or upgrade). That MAY explain why it says you have no backups but there could be other explanations.

It could be a bit and miss trying to diagnose what the issue is when I can't see the phone so I'll ask if you taken it to an Apple store. There may be an OS issue that they are aware of or similar. If its a known issue they may be a known fix. Just a thought.

Let me know further info if you can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back