Universal Love Princes Park Update

Remove this Banner Ad

Spot on. AFLW is (perhaps rightfully) seen as footy without the bullshit.

BTW, the young Greens voters are all renters and essentially powerless to shape their local environment. It's the yuppies and university professor types who are the NIMBYS here.
People like to think it's a-political and the AFL being good guys and letting the women have a run around, but the sponsorship has paid for the ground hire (which would be almost nothing considering it's all local venues) and 'salaries.' People forget the AFL would have seen this for the warm fuzzies they could get out of people, ala Multicultural Round, the LBGTQ match... it's all about winning favour with these minorities and groups to simply make their majority more powerful.

Stupid hipsters love this AFLW but then the arguments they use against the AFL (alcohol and gambling ads, revenue, whatever else) are the same things that exist in the woman's game.

People like to think it's a-political and the AFL being good guys and letting the women have a run around, but the sponsorship has paid for the ground hire (which would be almost nothing considering it's all local venues) and 'salaries.' People forget the AFL would have seen this for the warm fuzzies they could get out of people, ala Multicultural Round, the LBGTQ match... it's all about winning favour with these minorities and groups to simply make their majority more powerful.

Stupid hipsters love this AFLW but then the arguments they use against the AFL (alcohol and gambling ads, revenue, whatever else) are the same things that exist in the woman's game.

The AFL's motivation is about growing the game to grow their bottom line, but accepting the profit motive is the cost of participating in modern society.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure about that last bit. Take for example the TV coverage. Instead of the same club of boorish ex players back-slapping and shitting on about their set of nicknames and in-jokes, interspersed with live odds updates in the breaks, you have a set of passionate and knowledgeable people talking about the actual game. Likewise, there's much more of a family atmosphere at the grounds for the AFLW matches (at least at Princes Park, can't speak for anywhere else).

It's all predicated on the AFL's long term view of their real estate holding underneath Etihad Stadium.

I have no doubt that if the AFL get a Godfather offer for that prime piece of real estate they will sell it just as quickly as they sold VFL Park. ;)

If they get $1billion - then they might sink some of that money into a second Melbourne stadium further up Footscray road (where the old Wholesale Market was) and they might be interested in putting some money into Princes Park as the boutique 3rd stadium to accommodate VFL, AFLW and perhaps (very perhaps) the occasional low drawing AFL game.

I just can't see another Football Ground being built around the Tennis Centre Olympic Park precinct for the simple matter of congestion.

John Elliott was wrong about a lot of things - but his vision of upgrading and retaining Princes Park as Melbourne's boutique stadium/3rd venue was spot-on in hindsight.

That was only ever going to work if the AFL weren't going to build Colonial Stadium, Elliott was told not to go ahead with the Legend Stand development but he did so anyway - he played Chicken with the AFL and lost - and the AFL shafted us further for good measure because of their vindictiveness against Elliott.

That was only ever going to work if the AFL weren't going to build Colonial Stadium, Elliott was told not to go ahead with the Legend Stand development but he did so anyway - he played Chicken with the AFL and lost - and the AFL shafted us further for good measure because of their vindictiveness against Elliott.

Yep. PP upgrade, Collo, salary cap, etc. It's amazing how it all connects in hindsight.

How about cleaning up underneath the Pratt Stand as well. Bloody awful under there (and dark).

WTF were you doing under there>? ... wait ... I don't wanna know ...

When it comes to the AFL I'm not picking up good vibrations.

But if it can be sold as OUR women's team home ground', what a boon for the AFWL!

Imagine every second week an AFL game being played at PP? How bloody good would that be? Surely better than Casey bloody fields.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about cleaning up underneath the Pratt Stand as well. Bloody awful under there (and dark).

So top of the HBF wishlist is a new broom and a couple of Osram energy saver light globes. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Problem solved with a Saturday morning trip to Bunnings.

Bugger all this government grant stuff.

When u have the state government behind it, you really only need local government backing then. Residents concerns mean s**t when you have government agencies wanting something.

I'm sure they'd prefer to put 30-100 mill into princess park than 500 mill into another stadium next to the MCG
I haven't seen any suggestion that the AFL/State Govt will be putting anywhere near "30-100 million" into Princes Park. They will put in enough to tidy the stadium up, fix the playing surface (which is very ordinary underneath the lush grass) & modernise the change rooms to AFL standard. Simon Lethlean specifically refers to it being used for "major events like AFL women's footy and pre-season matches."

It has quickly become apparent that the AFL want to ensure the AFLW competition have access to the best suburban facilities available & Princes Park is the best of the old VFL grounds.

Hope so....7 premierships in our tenure there from 1974-1991 & many fond memories to boot....Which just so happened to coincide with my era of going to the footy & watching it live on a regular basis.

Always felt at home there, snuggled-up in the Hawthorn Stand, away from all the Blues toffs on yonder side.

Always felt at home there, snuggled-up in the Hawthorn Stand, away from all the Blues toffs on yonder side.

I'd cop the toffs call if you weren't a hawks supporter ;)

I'd cop the toffs call if you weren't a hawks supporter ;)

Long gone are the days of Menzies car space & messers high-flying, power-punching Collins & Elliott.

Shame it's taken your admin 2 decades to wake-up to the changing landscape....All ex-Hawkers running AFL-House nowdays.:cool:

I'm reasonably certain that's the AFL's (and some within Carlton desperate for a scapegoat) revisionist take on things. Personally I find the scenario presented by Elliot himself much more plausible as it matches my own memories of the Legends stand development and it fits in with what we've seen of the AFL's modus operandi of the time.

Watch from around the 8:40 mark:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back