Multiplat Nier: Automata - recommended by Lukas

Remove this Banner Ad

bulletride

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Anyone planning on picking this up? Out tomorrow in Aus, although I've been playing the Japanese version which has full English VA and text for the past few weeks.

Currently sitting on 90 at Metacritic which is pretty amazing considering its a fairly niche title and the original was more of a cult hit than a commercial success. Just a shame its been released right in the middle of Horizon, Zelda and Mass Effect.

For anyone new to the series, for an open world action RPG its considerably shorter than similar games, being possible to complete in under 10 hours. It is however designed to be played through multiple times with subsequent playthroughs told from the perspective of other characters. I'm only halfway through a second playthrough so I can't speak to how much the story/world changes yet but its been different enough to not feel like a chore. From what I've read the third playthrough is the one that changes things up significantly and 'completes' the story. Combat which was the weakest part of the original has been drastically improved with the involvement of PlatinumGames and feels like a nice mix of their other titles such as Bayonetta and Vanquish.

Last edited by a moderator:

4UTuXfe.jpg

The girlfriend loved the first Nier game. She actually played it from start to finish without stopping to play other games, something I'd never witnessed before in our relationship. Plus she rarely seems to finish games. Got this for her bday soon so hopefully it's good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally got around to finishing my third playthrough, easily my GOTY so far. Good to see strong sales figures too despite the tough launch window, especially considering the first was a commercial failure. Just a shame more stores in Aus didn't stock it so we didn't see any competitive prices, hopefully once the price drops more people will get to experience it as it's criminally underappreciated at the moment.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-04-nier-automata-sells-1m-copies-in-a-month

Finally got around to finishing my third playthrough, easily my GOTY so far. Good to see strong sales figures too despite the tough launch window, especially considering the first was a commercial failure. Just a shame more stores in Aus didn't stock it so we didn't see any competitive prices, hopefully once the price drops more people will get to experience it as it's criminally underappreciated at the moment.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-04-nier-automata-sells-1m-copies-in-a-month
As I am finding out today. Literally just got home from a search for somewhere other than EB having it so I don't have to pay a million dollars. I was unsuccessful.

Waiting for all of the online stores to get back more stock.

It's easily the game I'm most intrigued about.
If Lukas likes it this much then it must be great

Same, I can't help thinking about playing this even when playing Persona 5 and Nioh. Something about it just holds on to me, so much so that I immediately started my 2nd playthrough after I finished it. Got 5 of the joke endings too. Intrigued to see more of 9s and A2.

And those shmup sections omg, I love those shmup sections, I wish there were more of them.

Same, I can't help thinking about playing this even when playing Persona 5 and Nioh. Something about it just holds on to me, so much so that I immediately started my 2nd playthrough after I finished it. Got 5 of the joke endings too. Intrigued to see more of 9s and A2.

And those shmup sections omg, I love those shmup sections, I wish there were more of them.

Just a word of warning if you plan on doing the third playthrough, don't speedrun through the second like I did as the difficulty spikes a bit at the start of the third. I was massively underlevelled so had to grind a bit before I could progress. Agree on the shmup sections, so good.

Just a word of warning if you plan on doing the third playthrough, don't speedrun through the second like I did as the difficulty spikes a bit at the start of the third. I was massively underlevelled so had to grind a bit before I could progress. Agree on the shmup sections, so good.

What level were you when starting the 3rd?

I'm at level 30 at the beginning of the 2nd playthrough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back