2nds 2017 - Peel Thunder

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wing / HBF? Thought he was good and composed. HBF for me at AFL level; sort of a Sutcliffe/Birchall type.

Strnadica did some good things; the run down tackle may have made Ross blink, and a couple of marks in the backline whilst on stand-in ruck duty. Played a fair bit of time on the ground too.

I thought Logue was good in the second half and better overall than some were making him out to be. Just need to be patient whilst he learns the role.

I concur with others about Crozier - had a good game but he isn't playing inside mid at AFL level. Would rather see him groomed as a backman or as a forward.

I thought Sheridan did actually have some good moments but there was also the average ones too. I barely saw Suban.

Grey could still have a role at AFL level - tackles well and runs hard and I didn't think thd kicking was too bad.
Spot on! Crozier killing it as a midfielder at WAFL level is almost pointless. What is the point in playing him as a mid and getting 7 clearances when hes going to play Ballas role up forward? He isn't gonna go through the midfield at stages, he'd be about 10th in line. Spent pre season down back, JLT up forward and now WAFL in the midfield, we're not adding versatility, we're stuffing up his development.

Nov 28, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
none
After watching the game on the weekend, I could see the typical game style of Lyon versus Simpson. It showed Simpson's open spread, fast ball movement compared to Lyon's manic pressure. I think this is the style of play we will see from the dockers this year, being manic pressure and fast ball movement when in our hands. I've got a very good feeling about this year. I hope I'm right:rolleyes:

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
After watching the game on the weekend, I could see the typical game style of Lyon versus Simpson. It showed Simpson's open spread, fast ball movement compared to Lyon's manic pressure. I think this is the style of play we will see from the dockers this year, being manic pressure and fast ball movement when in our hands. I've got a very good feeling about this year. I hope I'm right:rolleyes:
Me too. I know Lyon cops flack for it but the intensity of his pressure football is exciting. I think our emerging midfield is going to be much slicker in terms of transition and ball movement once it comes together as well, so paint me optimistic.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Definitely think Balic should be given opportunity in the seniors once his fitness is up to it. If there is one thing we need its more footy smarts. He reminds me of Tucker, the same smooth moving through traffic and he's magic around a clearance.
His two main issues of pace and kicking are not huge either. His kicking can improve, and his pace won't be an issue if he really is a smart footballer and he builds an AFL tank. Barlow or Mundy pretty good players to emulate.

Joeltownsmith

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dall cowboys
Hey guys hearing subes had a stinker on the weekend, just wanted to here y'all option on him and where he's at , can ya put a fork in him will he play in the seniors this year? Thought he was gonna be an out right star when he first came to the club, thought he was gonna be the next captain too....

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
The way he moved through the pack at the very first centre bounce last night is something I could watch over and over. Good football IQ, is agile, has good vision and good hands. If he had pace he'd be unbelievable. I'd toss a coin between him and Darcy for BOG - we only lost one centre clearance all night from memory? Reckon Crozier will get the nod though as RtB will be a bit risk averse for round 1.

Like many on here, I really took a shine at times to Mzungu, DeBoer and especially Barlow but there removal (ruthless removal in the case of Barlow) has really opened up the possibility of playing AFL footy for Balic this year and given best 22 status (at this point in time) to Langdon, Blakley and Tucker which they might not of had if those players remained. I would reckon they would be very excited about their futures and also far more likely to sign extensions. Got a gut feeling if Langdon goes well this year and gets to play with Fyfe a lot, he will be signing a much longer contract extension next time.

Still gutted for those past players but it is the only way for RTB to play the new talent and the new talent does look mighty good.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
If we're truely in development mode, Collins would be my pick before Dawson. Every game Zac plays the starting score line is -12 points.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with this but there is just a couple of monsters forwards out there that I would prefer Zak to play on and one of them is Hawkins but for other games I would love to see the continued development of Collins. Happy to have a totally defensive player on Hawkins.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Like many on here, I really took a shine at times to Mzungu, DeBoer and especially Barlow but there removal (ruthless removal in the case of Barlow) has really opened up the possibility of playing AFL footy for Balic this year and given best 22 status (at this point in time) to Langdon, Blakley and Tucker which they might not of had if those players remained. I would reckon they would be very excited about their futures and also far more likely to sign extensions. Got a gut feeling if Langdon goes well this year and gets to play with Fyfe a lot, he will be signing a much longer contract extension next time.

Still gutted for those past players but it is the only way for RTB to play the new talent and the new talent does look mighty good.
I honestly can't see any of those 5 leaving any time soon (the three amigos + Tucker & Balic) unless they are pushed. The 3 amigos seem to love living and playing together and all 3 are now B22 so it's not like they will get more opportunity elsewhere. Meanwhile Tucker and Balic are only 2nd year players (and Balic is effectively a first year player) and it's normally a very dumb move to change clubs so early in your career - especially when you now have the best facilities in the league at your disposal. Expecting all 5 will be B22 by season's end and playing alongside Fyfe, Neale, the Hills, Walters and Bennell for the foreseeable future has to be a strong motivation to stay also. That's 11 core (flexible) midfielders we should try and lock in for the next 5 years at least. Now we just need some tall forwards to to fill our gaping crevice and our best half backs to identify themselves out of the large pack we have recruited.

Freo Blood

All Australian
Sep 21, 2006
South
AFL Club
Fremantle
Balic - does some good things and did break the lines and go for a bit of a gallop that I hadn't seen before but his kicking needs a huge improvement imo. Severely up and under when he is on the run.

Taberner - reminded me again why he will not make it afl level. He was on a good defender and had few opportunities but when you mark the ball at 40 and kick from inside 50 he can not even make the distance, seen that several times now. Ineffective at AFL level as defenders will just play behind and push him up the ground. His marking is just not good enough at the level even with a slight pressure he goes to water. Sad but he just does not have it... some posters say he needs to "get his confidence", confidence may be a problem but lack of it his case is well founded.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
At least the report on WAFL's website is decent: http://www.wafootball.com.au/news/11966/round-1-–-east-perth-v-peel-thunder-match-report

Makes Travis King's report look amateurish - nice work Chris Pike! Hmmm, the WAFL making the AFL look amateurish... oh dear.

Enjoyed the read and at least you can tell he was actually at the game. I agree with his view of Balic as best on ground, Logue in his best players was a bit of a shock though!! He had one very good quarter but also a couple of blues for mine which would have kept him out of the best list.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Balic - does some good things and did break the lines and go for a bit of a gallop that I hadn't seen before but his kicking needs a huge improvement imo. Severely up and under when he is on the run.

Taberner - reminded me again why he will not make it afl level. He was on a good defender and had few opportunities but when you mark the ball at 40 and kick from inside 50 he can not even make the distance, seen that several times now. Ineffective at AFL level as defenders will just play behind and push him up the ground. His marking is just not good enough at the level even with a slight pressure he goes to water. Sad but he just does not have it... some posters say he needs to "get his confidence", confidence may be a problem but lack of it his case is well founded.

Agree with most of your points especially the marking which must improve and improve now for him to have any chance of playing seniors. However, I don't agree that he can't kick 50m, he is a "confidence" kick but he can easily kick 50m when on song. Think the night game and a touch of rain might have been the reason for that particular kick not making the distance.

Rhino20

Debutant
Jan 25, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Enjoyed the read and at least you can tell he was actually at the game. I agree with his view of Balic as best on ground, Logue in his best players was a bit of a shock though!! He had one very good quarter but also a couple of blues for mine which would have kept him out of the best list.

17 disposals at CHB is a pretty good output tho, everyone made a few blues haha

Harry Reems

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

couldhavebeen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2012
success
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth lyncs
For those that are interested in players that you should keep an eye out for there is a very young kid in the Peel Colts team you will want to watch play .
He is number 35 Jaidon Kearing born in 1999, 177cm . second year in the colts team . He moves like and has the same goal sense as Eddie Betts . He is extremely agile with a great side step . He has a nice turn of speed and you will be hard pressed to pick his natural side by hand and foot . He kicked 4.1 against East Perth in the first game of the season.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Spot on! Crozier killing it as a midfielder at WAFL level is almost pointless. What is the point in playing him as a mid and getting 7 clearances when hes going to play Ballas role up forward? He isn't gonna go through the midfield at stages, he'd be about 10th in line. Spent pre season down back, JLT up forward and now WAFL in the midfield, we're not adding versatility, we're stuffing up his development.

You don't think there'll be any stoppages in our forward line?

Ross likes to build versatility in his players and I agree with this. It makes the squad far more prepared for any situation that may arise and harder to coach against. I'm not sure how much footy you've played but its not hard. If he gets the call up and can't go from midfield one week to a small forward the next with all of the coaching and training plus having played JLT up forward, then he's no good. He's a professional footballer FFS.

Plus, whats the point of Crozier sitting in the forward pocket all night and getting a dozen disposals? Touch is an amazingly important thing especially when in the early stages of the season. Need to get the ball into his hands so that he's ready for the step up.

Ross and the club have got this right imo.

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
You don't think there'll be any stoppages in our forward line?

Ross likes to build versatility in his players and I agree with this. It makes the squad far more prepared for any situation that may arise and harder to coach against. I'm not sure how much footy you've played but its not hard. If he gets the call up and can't go from midfield one week to a small forward the next with all of the coaching and training plus having played JLT up forward, then he's no good. He's a professional footballer FFS.

Plus, whats the point of Crozier sitting in the forward pocket all night and getting a dozen disposals? Touch is an amazingly important thing especially when in the early stages of the season. Need to get the ball into his hands so that he's ready for to step up

Ross and the club have got this right imo.
Is it versatility or poor coaching? Why spend the pre season as a rebounding defender (where he showed the most promise and filled a gigantic need) only to play him in the forward line? If Kersten got dropped and played midfield for Peel, would that be smart coaching and adding versatility, or would it effect his development and not make it clear where the club actually wants him to play?

It's not as simple as 'you dominated in the midfield for Peel, now play as a forward in the AFL, where you will play a completely different role'.

DudleyDocker

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Tell me your exaggerating?
You have to hand it to Barich, he is an all-round sportsman.

He was pretty crap for the Eagles, then he had a run at Rugby League with the Western Reds where he was even crapper.

I think he has lifted his crapness to a whole new level since he moved into the media.

Well done Adrian!

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Crozier is a PROVEN failure in the forward line and midfield at AFL level. It is insanity to think this time around will be any different. Play him in the back line, where he has trained all preseason, where we need him and where he has actually proven to be effective, or not at all.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is it versatility or poor coaching? Why spend the pre season as a rebounding defender (where he showed the most promise and filled a gigantic need) only to play him in the forward line? If Kersten got dropped and played midfield for Peel, would that be smart coaching and adding versatility, or would it effect his development and not make it clear where the club actually wants him to play?

It's not as simple as 'you dominated in the midfield for Peel, now play as a forward in the AFL, where you will play a completely different role'.

You'd have to ask Ross that. Go on, I dare you;)

Re: the change from defender to forward late in the pre-season, there's obviously a reason for it. I'm sure Ross is all over it. Perhaps others e.g. Weller were doing a better job at the role. Maybe Ross felt that we needed him more in the forward line. Weller didn't play for Peel on Sat night whereas Crozier did, so I'm guessing its the former.

Carnthedockers

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Have you read the recent long interview with Lyon by Mark Duffield? He talks about how last season Freo went away from controlling the things they can and tried to focus on skills at the expense of effort. We tried to be Hawthorn and you can't unless you have a dozen or so left footers that can put the ball on a dime 55M away. Similarly while other teams this year will be trying to emulate Western Bulldogs manic handball game or the Eagles web Freo have gone back to basics - effort, intensity consistency at the contest because those are the things we can control. They are the things that got a team with players like Clancee Pearce, DeBoer, Mzungu, Suban into a Grand Final, demolishing Sydney and tossing Geelong on their own deck against all the odds.

The players themselves empowered Ross Lyon with their feedback that that is what they want to get back to.

Personally I was incredibly impressed by the consistency of effort and intensity over 4 quarters in the first game for points on a slippery deck under lights. A team with a lot of young and inexperienced players simply outworked and outmuscled a team with a fair bit more AFL experience.

If the seniors bring that in to round 1 we are a lot better chance than I've previously rated us. As for skill, it will come when the players carrying and moving the ball are Hill, Hill, Bennell, Mundy, Tucker (I rate him), Weller etc and they are kicking at McCarthy, Walters and a few more like that.

In 2013 we had the effort but not enough skill, I think we've brought a lot of skill in over the last couple of years, if we can get the effort and belief back to where is was we will have something.

Like Salim said, for a bunch of untried kids I've never been happier about a Peel performance. I can't believe how excited I am about Darcy, a big strong, mobile, skilful, Intelligent ruck like him can carry the next generation after Sandi hangs it up.
Great post.

Back