On the weekend I played...

Remove this Banner Ad

was a bit disappointed with the ending of the 2nd part of the Fury of Dracula tabletop video.
it was very anti-climactic that Wil wheaton just won by maturing his card with the rumour token on it. The hunters had him locked down to spain and were about to strike. it could just be because of the anticipation of a big battle against Drac been denied.
Fury of Dracula appears to be a game that can be exciting or boring. any thoughts? Especially advice for helping the dracula player to keep it exciting (since that will be my role).
We screwed up the fighting totally. It dragged ON AND ON.

Cheesewheel

All Australian
Aug 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
was a bit disappointed with the ending of the 2nd part of the Fury of Dracula tabletop video.
it was very anti-climactic that Wil wheaton just won by maturing his card with the rumour token on it. The hunters had him locked down to spain and were about to strike. it could just be because of the anticipation of a big battle against Drac been denied.
Fury of Dracula appears to be a game that can be exciting or boring. any thoughts? Especially advice for helping the dracula player to keep it exciting (since that will be my role).

The game is at its best when dracula takes pot shots to try and incapacitate isolated hunters, Dracula's power cards, event cards and traps are built for this style of play. You can use events like roadblocks and storms not just to cover your escape but to also isolate hunters. However playing like this makes the game a lot more difficult for you, but it'll be more enjoyable for everyone else. If you don't own the game have a look at the event deck before you start, some hunter events can make them move really fast. You can play mind games above the table as well, cut your destination deck in half under the table and have the letters m-z on top of the deck and a-l on the bottom then occasionally pull cards from it in view of other people, check your trail cards when people search parts of the map you haven't even been to, roadblock someone randomly in eastern europe then wolf form even though you're just chilling in spain, things like that.

If you're just going to constantly hide from everyone and mature vampires you'll most likely win but it'll be around a 2-3+hr slog for the hunters.

Dracula sets the pace and mood of the game. Beers are always advised if you need some extra boldness.

Apr 10, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
The game is at its best when dracula takes pot shots to try and incapacitate isolated hunters, Dracula's power cards, event cards and traps are built for this style of play. You can use events like roadblocks and storms not just to cover your escape but to also isolate hunters. However playing like this makes the game a lot more difficult for you, but it'll be more enjoyable for everyone else. If you don't own the game have a look at the event deck before you start, some hunter events can make them move really fast. You can play mind games above the table as well, cut your destination deck in half under the table and have the letters m-z on top of the deck and a-l on the bottom then occasionally pull cards from it in view of other people, check your trail cards when people search parts of the map you haven't even been to, roadblock someone randomly in eastern europe then wolf form even though you're just chilling in spain, things like that.

If you're just going to constantly hide from everyone and mature vampires you'll most likely win but it'll be around a 2-3+hr slog for the hunters.

Dracula sets the pace and mood of the game. Beers are always advised if you need some extra boldness.

thanks for the advice that sounds good. Even if they aren't near me act like they are (keep their energy up) and try to hit and run?

Apr 10, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Won my first game of Eldritch horror on the weekend. There were 3 players but i controlled a 2nd character so we had 4. 4 seems to be a good number of characters; we were able to get stuff done.

The ancient one was szyzgy who was in the Strange remnants expansion. It was a good ancient one; we had the mystic ruins to explore as well so that gave us more options and it was fun that the 3rd mystery was to close the portal.

Would have lost on the next turn - doom was down to 1 and still had 2 rolls after we had "won" to check if doom advanced and we would have lost. ( it was a reckoning turn - one of the monsters advanced doom on a 1 or 2; and i had an artifact that advanced doom on a 1)

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Puerto Rico.
If you haven't played this game yet, go out and buy it. It's a ripper!!

Similar to Catan in that you build up your settlement but it has so many more layers and complexities. It's great for serious gamers but also simple enough for those not into the more full on games.

Recommend it highly.

301e5e95b53cdb5448ffd9408b41afc9.jpg

Yygdrasil battle!

Blood Rage with noobs can be quite nerve-wracking :)

We played the Gods of Asgard expansion, but forgot to move the Gods after pillaging.

I won on 125 without any monster upgrades.

The Gods expansion means that by the second age you can know which province is coming up for Ragnarok in the third and position accordingly.

Don't drop your ship with Fire Dragons upgrade in a fjord next to Frigga - you can't destroy it for the points. :(

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
301e5e95b53cdb5448ffd9408b41afc9.jpg

Yygdrasil battle!

Blood Rage with noobs can be quite nerve-wracking :)

We played the Gods of Asgard expansion, but forgot to move the Gods after pillaging.

I won on 125 without any monster upgrades.

The Gods expansion means that by the second age you can know which province is coming up for Ragnarok in the third and position accordingly.

Don't drop your ship with Fire Dragons upgrade in a fjord next to Frigga - you can't destroy it for the points. :(

Great game, one of my favourites. Mystics of Midgard expansion is quite good, haven't tried the Gods of Asgard yet.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just about to play Firefly for the first time (with the wifey, who is not really a board gamer) and later in the week Star Trek Catan with my normal board game group.

Out of interest, where does everyone purchase their games?
I regularly use mighty ape. Have specials often and only. $5 delivery.

Just about to play Firefly for the first time (with the wifey, who is not really a board gamer) and later in the week Star Trek Catan with my normal board game group.

Out of interest, where does everyone purchase their games?
Mighty Ape, Gameology, couple of other places. Games shop if I am feeling guilty but I spend a couple of grand a year there on comics anyway.

Taught more noobs how to play Blood Rage. Davemonkey dead last :(

That yellow marker is on 192 points...

*bows*

My Third Age was spent with my ship yo-yo'ing in and out of Valhalla scoring 12 points per death before dying in Ragnarok for another 16. Chuck in one quest with double points upgrade and...

GLORIOUS GLORY!

921bd8630467d5a2d402e66fdb4ee816.jpg

Actually it wasn't Dave who came last.

Apr 10, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Taught more noobs how to play Blood Rage. Davemonkey dead last :(

That yellow marker is on 192 points...

*bows*

My Third Age was spent with my ship yo-yo'ing in and out of Valhalla scoring 12 points per death before dying in Ragnarok for another 16. Chuck in one quest with double points upgrade and...

GLORIOUS GLORY!

Actually it wasn't Dave who came last.

how long does a game of this take?

Ordered something from gameology on a Monday, got it Friday so was pretty happy.

Back