Peptides! 2017 Round 1 Essendon Vs Hawthorn, #Roughyisback

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
its not just the fans who think this...to be given the Number 5 so soon after Mitch leaving speaks volumes on what insiders believe his potential is too!

Correct. But suggesting he 'killed it' last season is a significant overstatement. He definitely showed glimpses of his ability, but blokes like O'Meara, Cripps, Bont, Judd, Heeney, Mills ect. killed it in their first season.

Only way this is guaranteed is if KB actually plays the majority of the year, our defence is woefully undersized and quite poor when isolated.

Fair point - here is hoping that our new midfield stops the constant leaking that our midfield did last year though.

A lot of experienced heads. Looks to me like Clarko wants to bank this one.

I think you don't want to change everything all at once.

The midfield has to adjust to JOM TOM and Henderson in for Mitchell, Lewis, and Hill, plus Hodge out this week and Langford probably getting a shot at showing where he's at.

The forward line has Roughead, Vickery, and Schoenmakers all coming in.

The Ruck is still adapting to no Ceglar.

We're possibly still experimenting with Sicily down back.

Fair enough if we keep things fairly experienced in our backline and don't run heaps of kids anywhere until these other things gel.

Still, hard luck for Stewart who has played his heart out.

Genuinely surprised that Stewart didn't get a game after his JLT performances. Even the games I saw last year he looked good. He and Miles are great depth to have ( I hope the Dees can entice one of them at the end of the year :) )
You know, we can trade if you like?

You take Stewart and Miles, we will take Petracca and Oliver. Deal?

Got cheap tickets for the game through Telstra - just curious about what the ratio of fans is like in the AFL Members stand? Never sat that before and hoping that I will be amongst mostly friends - but being a * home game I am steeling myself for sitting among a bunch of TB-4 abusing ostriches.

Got cheap tickets for the game through Telstra - just curious about what the ratio of fans is like in the AFL Members stand? Never sat that before and hoping that I will be amongst mostly friends - but being a * home game I am steeling myself for sitting among a bunch of TB-4 abusing ostriches.
you can get anyone in there, last year at the doggies game there were more supporters of clubs other than the doggies or hawks it felt like, they were all there to see the death of the Hawks

Don't forget, Whitecross was arguably BOG for Box Hill two weeks ago. Not sure why he didn't get much JLT time considering his form in the seniors late last year and that, as far as I know, he is one of Clarko's "favourites". If he's fit and ready (which I have no idea if he is is or isn't), I would have personally had him in instead of Duryea, who could no doubt go back to Box Hill and earn his spot back.

Schoey is an interesting choice, especially given we'll also have all of Roughead, TV, Gunston and McEvoy as talls who will inevitably spend time in the forward line as well... possibly Sicily too. I get the feeling that Schoey will play as a swingman and you know what? I'm okay with that. When playing back, he'll get the second or third best tall Bomber forward depending on Frawley, Gibbo and Stratton's matchups, and I think he'll hold his own back there. If he can also kick a couple of goals when playing forward, and/or play the CHF link up role to deliver inside 50 with accuracy, then that's a massive win for our structure.

Stewart's the obvious unlucky candidate who misses out, unless Clarko does the old switch-a-roo late just before the game. Hartung and Langford are the obvious lucky candidates to be in the 22. I was mostly impressed with Billy's last JLT game, and if he can continue on like that, then he's a welcome addition to our team. Langford needs a better than average game by his standards this Saturday night to keep his spot for mine. Wasn't particularly impressed with any of his JLT games, and I still think we should be throwing him up forward far more than we seem to at the moment. He has a knack of kicking goals from congestion and he also provides good tackling pressure which is always crucial when playing as a small/medium forward. Could alternate with Cyril, Poppy and Breust between midfield and forward. Stewart is his natural replacement if need be, and I think Stewart could be a very good midfielder in time if given more opportunities in that position.

Miles is the other one... I really like what he brought to the team over the preseason games. I'd be wanting to have a good game this weekend if I was Birchall, Duryea, or Hartung.

Anyway, extremely excited to see JOM, Mitchell and Rough in particular this Saturday night. Can't see where the Bombers have it over us on paper. Hawks by 14.

Last edited:
The more I think about it the more I believe part of the reason some of the players got picked was experience in our system

We've got O'Meara, Mitchell, Vickery and Henderson who are extremely inexperienced in our system plus Rough back after a year off.

If we'd played any of Miles, Burton or Stewart we'd have 5 or more players with less than 5 games experience with their team mates plus Rough coming back from the year off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Gibbo doesn't play Burton probably comes in at CHF and Shoey goes down back. Miles is the logical replacement for Birchall's position too. Again very tough on Stewart put he doesn't play tall forward or rebounding backman.

Fair point - here is hoping that our new midfield stops the constant leaking that our midfield did last year though.

JLT wasn't the most positive example... I'm sure season proper will be a different story.

I'm a fan of Stewart in and Gibbo out, add some real speed and send Schoey to defence. For us to get better we need the young guys to be pushing players like Gibbo out of the side, it's evolution.

AFL website reporting Gibbo and Birch didn't train today.

Hmmmmmmm.
Gibbo and birch are fine
dVJNUJlVS6yeyEYhtJIL_Confused%20Mark%20Wahlberg.gif

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but this match preview article...

Newly appointed captains Dyson Heppell and Jarryd Roughead have a lot in common.

Both originating from the small, Victorian country town Leongatha, they endured undoubtedly the toughest years of their respective careers in 2016, and they’re both the 2016 captains of their respective football clubs.

Comparing a year off fighting for your life vs. a year-long suspension for drug cheating is unbelievably crass, especially on the club's own website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back