News 2016-2017 general news thread

Remove this Banner Ad

O'Rourke had a slow start but had a terrific spell in the second quarter. If he could consistently apply himself he would be best 22. In fairness it was his first hit out following rehab and he sat out the last quarter.

Cousins looked very good. He read the play well, competed strongly, showed good awareness and evasive skills and generally his decision making and disposal was good. In the first quarter he showed his nerves when he badly shanked a shot for goal from 30 metres. Certainly a rookie to watch.

Really good to hear about Jono, I've been a big supporter of his and hope he can take that step this year.
Also good to hear about cousins, heard only good things about him so far.

any news on brand?

any news or information about vfl this weekend? Is there a practice match?
not for Hawks, next VFL praccy match is on Saturday 25th in Tullamarine
Seniors
Essendon FC Box Hill Hawks FC 25/03/17 12:00PM True Value Solar Centre

Dev squad not playing again until 1st of April

Box Hill Hawks season preview

vfl.com.au recently chatted to new Box Hill Hawks senior coach Chris Newman about what could lie in store for the club on the field in 2017.

FACT FILE:

AFL ALIGNMENT: Hawthorn

2016 FINISH: 10th (7-11)

2016 BEST AND FAIREST: 1. David Mirra / 2. Sam Iles / 3. Teia Miles

FORMER PLAYERS CURRENTLY ON AFL LISTS:
- Selected in 2001: Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn/West Coast)
- 2010: Ed Curnow* (Carlton), Cameron Pedersen* (North Melbourne/Melbourne)
- 2011: Sam Gibson* (North Melbourne)
- 2015: Sam Collins (Fremantle)

KEY 2017 INS & OUTS:
- In: Vincent Adduci (Oakleigh Chargers) / Harrison Burt (Sandringham Dragons) / Tristan Davies (Eastern Ranges) / Billy Evans (Brisbane AFL) / Jake Godwin (Eastern Ranges) / Will Hams (Essendon AFL) / Jordan Haynes (Eastern Ranges) / Thomas Jacotine (Eastern Ranges) / Michael Knoll (basketball) / Nelson Lane (Eastern Ranges) / Thomas Maloney (Sandringham Dragons) / Andrew Moore (Richmond AFL) / Sam Parsons (Oakleigh Chargers) / Lachlan Walker (Oakleigh Chargers)
- Out: Tom Gordon (Doncaster East) / Sam Iles / Liam Kidd (Coburg) / Patrick Lawlor (Coburg) / Marc Lock (Old Carey) / Ryley Monkhorst (Sandringham) / Jake Summers (Doncaster East)

DEPARTED PLAYERS WHO’LL BE MISSED:

Experienced leaders: “Sam Iles was really respected within the organisation and the way he went about it set the example. He was a real leader around the group and Marc Lock was the same. He was just a really good person to have around the group and he has a good football brain. Tom Gordon is also in the same category.”

Young forwards: “Pat Lawlor and Jake Summers are both quality players so their departure leaves a bit of a void for us in the forward line. I think we’ve managed to recruit fairly well in the off-season though, and we’ve got some smaller forwards that can play down there as well as some bigger guys that can take a catch. It just presents an opportunity for younger guys to step into their shoes and fill the void.”

RECRUITS WHO COULD MAKE AN IMPACT:

Andrew Moore (55 AFL games for Port Adelaide from 2010-15 and five AFL games for Richmond in 2016): “Andrew’s a really physical player, he’s a good size, he’s a natural leader and his fitness and his work rate is second to none. He’ll get some opportunity in the midfield but also with the flexibility of going back and forward if we need it. His versatility throughout games will be really important for us, but no doubt he does a lot of his best work at the centre bounces.”

Billy Evans (seven AFL games for Brisbane from 2015-16): “Billy is another bigger on-baller. He’s a bit of a work horse and he loves to get the contested footy. We also want to add a string to his bow in potentially throwing him forward to have an impact there. I think he needs to have that flexibility.”

Will Hams (13 AFL games for Essendon from 2013-16): “Will is another who can play as an inside midfielder, but we’re really keen for him to explore roles both inside and outside the contest this year. He might potentially roll through the wings and the forward line at times.”

BEST-AND-FAIREST CONTENDERS:

“We know how consistent David Mirra is. I’ve only been at Box Hill for a brief amount of time but the amount of passion he plays with and the amount of care he shows for his teammates and anyone that’s associated with Box Hill is outstanding. That passion filters through the team too. He’ll look to have a really strong season.

“I also wouldn’t put it past any of the guys that get an opportunity to play consistent footy (in the wake of experienced players leaving) to progress their own performance (see below).”

BREAK-OUT CANDIDATES:

“With forwards like Pat Lawlor and Jake Summers leaving, it gives guys like Chris Jones (pictured, right) a bit more of an opportunity and he’s been training the house down this pre-season. His work rate has really lifted and so has the way he’s marking the ball and demanding the footy. I’m really excited to see what he can bring this year.

“Some of those experienced guys that have left the club will open up opportunities for guys like Sam Switkowski, Nick Evans and Anthony Brolic too.”

BIGGEST TEAM STRENGTHS:

“We’re hoping we can really compete – it’s been a bit of a theme throughout the pre-season. We want to be competitive in all games, and we felt like we were last year but probably not consistently enough throughout four quarters.

“I hope I can also build on what (departed senior coach) Marco Bello has left in his time at Box Hill, in terms of the way he wanted the players to play with a bit of flair and dash but also play team footy. I’ll try to continue on with that but I’m hoping to add my own sort of dynamic as well.”

AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT ON 2016:

“I don’t think it’s a secret that our contested ball probably needs to improve. That might not correlate to being the best in the competition this year, but we certainly have to be better-ranked than we were last year (ranked 14th in the VFL for contested possessions per game during the H&A season). We feel like some of the personnel we’ve brought into the group might help with that and we’ve had a bit of a focus this pre-season of putting our guys in situations where they feel comfortable for it to be more of a contested game. In saying that, we don’t want to lose our ability to move the ball and play a really exciting brand of footy as well.”

COACHING PANEL CHANGES:

“At Development League level, (former Northern Knights head coach) Andrew Shakespeare will be the senior coach and we’ve managed to retain Michael Shmerling, David Knight and Damien Yze as assistants under Andrew. At senior level, we’ve had a pretty high turnover. Matt Adolph – who was the coach of our Development League team last year – will be our forwards coach this year, Max Bailey – who is in the development department at Hawthorn along with myself – will be the midfield coach and Ricky Petterd will be the back line coach.”

anyone get down there today and have any thoughts to share?

Heard Burton might have kicked a few.

Was Hodge playing as angry as last time?

Any of the Hawthorn listed players look like they could be pushing for selection next week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

anyone get down there today and have any thoughts to share?

Heard Burton might have kicked a few.

Was Hodge playing as angry as last time?

Any of the Hawthorn listed players look like they could be pushing for selection next week?
I was there. I'll post more tonight.

Burton kicked 3, all in the 3rd quarter.

It was a beautifully sunny day at True Value Solar oval.
Box Hill fielded are far stronger side that their opponents and it showed on the scoreboard for three quarters. While the win was less than a goal, the scoreboard flattered Essendon due to BHH going very young in the midfield and using a KPP non-Hawthorn player as the ruckman.

Players that stood out:
Hanrahan - I'm adopting him as my boy (take note, H2F). For a rookie he was outstanding all game. Beautifully balance and his skills and decision making were top shelf. He positions himself around the contest and around the ground very well and is clean when he gets it.
Stand out moment was when the ball was kicked to him 1-on-1 on the wing with Mirra about to run past him. Hanrahan was going to get crunched, but he kept his balance in the air and used soft wrists to guide the ball to Mirra and hit him on the chest. Well executed and well thoughtout because a normal footballer would go for the contested mark.

Miles - Chief of the backline. Started or was a key component of the forward thrusts from the backline. Very vocal and cool under pressure. Should have played for Hawthorn.

Glass - Played as a HBF with a defensive role. For the whole game, he was my BOG. Has stepped up to the next level seamlessly and his skills were more than up to standard. Composed under pressure and knows his limitations. Hard to think 12 months ago, he was still learning the skills. Exciting prospect.

Fitzgibbons -Dominant ruckman in the first half. Destroyed Bellchambers and was useful around the ground. Played forward in the 2nd half.

The rest.
WX - Very good first quarter. BOG. Must have listened to John Farnam's 'Burn For You' at the quarter time break. Burnt the ball like he was trying to invent a new way to start fire after quarter time. Did it under little or no pressure too.
Brand - Defended well, but his skills were rusty.
Lewis - Played the second half only. Played ruck in the 3rd quarter and broke even with Bellchambers, which I see as a good win. Needs to learn to run harder both ways, but plenty of encouraging signs as a fwd/ruck prospect.
Burton - No effort in the first quarter and a bit. Started forward, but got moved to defense in the 2nd quarter and that switched him on. In the 3rd he went back forward and was BOG in that quarter. Hard running up to the wings before turning his opponents around and burning them off resulting in 3 easy goals. He's a forward if he's allowed to lead, but we all know that's poo-poo'd by Alistair.

Hodge - Blow out for him. Nothing special, but did what he needed to do. One thing that stood out to me was how quiet he was. Almost as if he was sooking and thought he was too good to be playing VFL. When he played it in 2013, he could be heard over the top of everyone else plus the crowd from over the other side of the ground. Today, with no crowd there, I didn't hear him.

Cousins - Didn't see much of him. Don't think he played more than a half?

Howe - Okay. Nothing of note stood out from him.

Willsmore - Weak as piss. Could have put a deck chair out there and the deck chair would have had more posessions and covered more km's on the gps.

Toby - His arms have some meat on them. Still tiny around the hips. He was very good today. Competed all day and crash hard. Wanted to lead, but you could see him start and then stop once his mind clicked that Alistair doesn't select forwards who lead. Took a good pack mark in the 2nd Q at the back on a 5-man pack. Encouraging signs, but until forwards are allowed to lead, I can see him being able to play a role for Hawthorn. Could be very good at AFL for a club that allows forwards to lead into space. Tim, if you're reading this, do your research, circle the clubs that allow this and seek a trade.

Harry Morrison - Only played the second half. Hard to get a read on him as he was having to rove off a KPP, VFL- listed, makeshift ruckman.

Nash - Well off it. Will play VFL 2nds this year. Has the body and athleticism, but not the brains yet. Was his first full game of Aussie Rules football, so his game is full of excuses and that's more than fair.

Lovell - Hardly sighted.

Hardwick - No defensive side to his game. Offered very little. Played up the ground and when he hit the ground, he would often just lie there and watch. Was worrying.

The BHH player:
Mirra - Vintage. Had a few goes starting on the wing. Only negative was he butchered the ball from that tap I mentioned from Hanrahan.

Moore - Nice pick up from the BH recruiters. Provides a mature body with an experienced VFL football brain. Was very good today.

Hams - Good pick up. Played well. Could be a goal-scoring mid. Knows where the goals are and knows where to run to be dangerous at this level.

Fisher - Athletic, but only played a half. You always know what you're going to get with him.

The rest were nothing of note, but serviceable.

Hit me up with any Q's if you have 'em.

Thanks for the write-up - top stuff.

I take it Pittonet is injured - does anyone know what with?

And did Heatherley and Surman play?

Box Hill fielded are far stronger side that their opponents and it showed on the scoreboard for three quarters. While the win was less than a goal, the scoreboard flattered Essendon due to BHH going very young in the midfield and using a KPP non-Hawthorn player as the ruckman.

Players that stood out:
Hanrahan - I'm adopting him as my boy (take note, H2F). For a rookie he was outstanding all game. Beautifully balance and his skills and decision making were top shelf. He positions himself around the contest and around the ground very well and is clean when he gets it.
Stand out moment was when the ball was kicked to him 1-on-1 on the wing with Mirra about to run past him. Hanrahan was going to get crunched, but he kept his balance in the air and used soft wrists to guide the ball to Mirra and hit him on the chest. Well executed and well thoughtout because a normal footballer would go for the contested mark.

Miles - Chief of the backline. Started or was a key component of the forward thrusts from the backline. Very vocal and cool under pressure. Should have played for Hawthorn.

Glass - Played as a HBF with a defensive role. For the whole game, he was my BOG. Has stepped up to the next level seamlessly and his skills were more than up to standard. Composed under pressure and knows his limitations. Hard to think 12 months ago, he was still learning the skills. Exciting prospect.

Fitzgibbons -Dominant ruckman in the first half. Destroyed Bellchambers and was useful around the ground. Played forward in the 2nd half.

The rest.
WX - Very good first quarter. BOG. Must have listened to John Farnam's 'Burn For You' at the quarter time break. Burnt the ball like he was trying to invent a new way to start fire after quarter time. Did it under little or no pressure too.
Lewis - Played the second half only. Played ruck in the 3rd quarter and broke even with Bellchambers, which I see as a good win. Needs to learn to run harder both ways, but plenty of encouraging signs as a fwd/ruck prospect.
Burton - No effort in the first quarter and a bit. Started forward, but got moved to defense in the 2nd quarter and that switched him on. In the 3rd he went back forward and was BOG in that quarter. Hard running up to the wings before turning his opponents around and burning them off resulting in 3 easy goals. He's a forward if he's allowed to lead, but we all know that's poo-poo'd by Alistair.

Hodge - Blow out for him. Nothing special, but did what he needed to do. One thing that stood out to me was how quiet he was. Almost as if he was sooking and thought he was too good to be playing VFL. When he played it in 2013, he could be heard over the top of everyone else plus the crowd from over the other side of the ground. Today, with no crowd there, I didn't hear him.

Willsmore - Weak as piss. Could have put a deck chair out there and the deck chair would have had more posessions and covered more km's on the gps.

Toby - His arms have some meat on them. Still tiny around the hips. He was very good today. Competed all day and crash hard. Wanted to lead, but you could see him start and then stop once his mind clicked that Alistair doesn't select forwards who lead. Took a good pack mark in the 2nd Q at the back on a 5-man pack. Encouraging signs, but until forwards are allowed to lead, I can see him being able to play a role for Hawthorn. Could be very good at AFL for a club that allows forwards to lead into space. Tim, if you're reading this, do your research, circle the clubs that allow this and seek a trade.

Harry Morrison - Only played the second half. Hard to get a read on him as he was having to rove off a KPP, VFL- listed, makeshift ruckman.

Nash - Well off it. Will play VFL 2nds this year. Has the body and athleticism, but not the brains yet. Was his first full game of Aussie Rules football, so his game is full of excuses and that's more than fair.

Lovell - Hardly sighted.

Hardwick - No defensive side to his game. Offered very little. Played up the ground and when he hit the ground, he would often just lie there and watch. Was worrying.

The BHH player:
Mirra - Vintage. Had a few goes starting on the wing. Only negative was he butchered the ball from that tap I mentioned from Hanrahan.

Moore - Nice pick up from the BH recruiters. Provides a mature body with an experienced VFL football brain. Was very good today.

Hams - Good pick up. Played well. Could be a goal-scoring mid. Knows where the goals are and knows where to run to be dangerous at this level.

Fisher - Athletic, but only played a half. You always know what you're going to get with him.

Good signs for our developing HB line which was what I wanted to hear.

Players that stood out:

The rest.

Lovell - Hardly sighted.

The BHH player:

How far away is Glass from getting a game in the Seniors? Crazy if he is close given his lack of AFL experience

Hope Miles takes Doc's spot

How far away is Glass from getting a game in the Seniors? Crazy if he is close given his lack of AFL experience

Hope Miles takes Doc's spot

I wouldn't mind miles, Stewart and Glass in for Doc. Hartung and either Birch or Gibson. We can't let our former stars hold back the development of our next generation. Who knows if we drop a few then it might shake them up.

I wouldn't mind miles, Stewart and Glass in for Doc. Hartung and either Birch or Gibson. We can't let our former stars hold back the development of our next generation. Who knows if we drop a few then it might shake them up.
It's a very jump the gun reactionary approach that I don't normally subscribe to but this year is about trialling things so yeah I'm with you TH

Disappointing on Lovell, Hardwick, TOB, willsmore and Howe. Really needed some of them to come on. Cupboard is pretty bare.

WX and brand should be better for the run as need them this year. Like to see some of Lewis, Hannahan and Morrison this year.

Hopefully this is start of burton finding form - although we need him down back rather than up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back