Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
IMG_4065.JPG

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't know what to make of Higgins. On the one hand he has an outstanding work rate, racks up the footy with ease and can be dangerous around goal but on the other hand from what I have seen of him his disposal can be poor and I feel like he lacks a standout attribute that will serve him well at AFL level hence I find it hard to agree with those who see him as a potential top 5 pick. Perhaps he'll be a Sam Mitchell or Touk Miller type? Despite being small and lacking a standout attribute they are just really smart, clever footballers who rack up the ball all day/night long. I need to see more of him this year to get a better idea of where I stand with him.

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't know what to make of Higgins. On the one hand he has an outstanding work rate, racks up the footy with ease and can be dangerous around goal but on the other hand from what I have seen of him his disposal can be poor and I feel like he lacks a standout attribute that will serve him well at AFL level hence I find it hard to agree with those who see him as a potential top 5 pick. Perhaps he'll be a Sam Mitchell or Touk Miller type? Despite being small and lacking a standout attribute they are just really smart, clever footballers who rack up the ball all day/night long. I need to see more of him this year to get a better idea of where I stand with him.

Don't agree. Doesn't work hard enough to defend. He did a lot of chip kicks today especially in the first quarter which were terrible, his KE is normally high because of his little chip kicks. His lack of speed worries me for when he reaches AFL level.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don't agree. Doesn't work hard enough to defend. He did a lot of chip kicks today especially in the first quarter which were terrible, his KE is normally high because of his little chip kicks. His lack of speed worries me for when he reaches AFL level.
True I haven't seen enough of him to argue that point so I'll take your word from it and that just detracts from him as a prospect even further.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Didn't make the best players in a team which was soundly beaten. Hope he uses the spare time he has after dropping out of yr 12 to study his game tape.
He didn't make the bests ons but to be fair he really should have, still had a lot of influence for them. I'd have Charlie Thompson best on for that game and Ethan Phillips was also very good down back

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
He didn't make the bests ons but to be fair he really should have, still had a lot of influence for them. I'd have Charlie Thompson best on for that game and Ethan Phillips was also very good down back

Higgins was Oakleigh's leading disposal winner on Sunday - but his inside 50 & rebound 50 numbers are always so low. Shows you that he chips them around and they dont penetrate going forward for example. Whereas someone like Noah Answorth had six inside 50s from his 19 disposals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Higgins was Oakleigh's leading disposal winner on Sunday - but his inside 50 & rebound 50 numbers are always so low. Shows you that he chips them around and they dont penetrate going forward for example. Whereas someone like Noah Answorth had six inside 50s from his 19 disposals.
Speaking of Answerth I really rate him he just attacks at every opportunity and is an awesome defender. Higgins has his issues with that but if he can create a small kick out of nothing to set up a better kicker going inside 50 then atleast he is having some influence with his touches, I have him outside my top 20 until he can consistently win his own ball more instead of hanging outside the packs

Last edited:

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I don't think his decision to leave school to focus on football has really been vindicated tbh. I'd say it will be something he regrets in the long run.

His issues have never been football related, more biological.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't think his decision to leave school to focus on football has really been vindicated tbh. I'd say it will be something he regrets in the long run.

His issues have never been football related, more biological.
Way too early to call if it has been vindicated yet or not, hasn't even been drafted.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Higgins towers over Christensen,Zorko & Taylor

Short asses :p
But those three can run fast and jump high (in a relative sense).

And the Lions fans are thankful that Fagan has sorted out Taylor's habit of running in circles.

Now if we can only get Bundy and his dodgy shoulder on the park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back