Hawthorn 2017 - Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The scary part for the Hawks may actually come in November of this year.

With little to no young talent on its list, it may not enter this years draft until the late 30s, or early 40s.

It may enter the 2018 season with the worst collection of talent in the league.

Next they recruit all the best free agents available who will be falling over themselves to get there.

If you were a free agent chasing a flag, why would you go to the Hawks when you could look at a St Kilda for example?

Generally speaking, free agents of considerable value have tended to move to clubs looking at possibly challenging for a flag, not sides more likely to be in the cellar.

Yes. Thats the rub with players of that age. Still great contributers but i doubt clubs would offer up higher ranked draft picks. In a way by accepting the offer from West Coast which is essentially valueless, Hawthorn looks after its long serving player Mitchell and ensures he gets to play at the club he wants to go to.

Geelong a few years ago did same with Steven King accepting a worthless pick in the 90s from St Kilda.
Could benefit us both in a few years when one of us is one player away from a premiership and we identify its 32+ year old. We'd be able to make a good case they're only worth a late pick.

They'd have to play substantially better than they did this past weekend.

And honestly, where does the improvement come from?

Essendon has just given the entire league a fool proof way to beat a very weak side - three quarters of the clubs in the league should belt the Hawks.
Improvement comes from

(a) midfield gelling better and particularly JOM playing better;
(b) better defensive set up
(c) better forward set up
(d) less fumbling from many players who had an characteristically shitty night

Still think we will get smashed by the Crows but let's not forget Hawthorn kicked 91 points in spite of being pretty smashed. And kicked plenty of behinds Ill add

In fact - not sure we did get smashed

If you were a free agent chasing a flag, why would you go to the Hawks when you could look at a St Kilda for example?

Generally speaking, free agents of considerable value have tended to move to clubs looking at possibly challenging for a flag, not sides more likely to be in the cellar.
You are a two hit wonder this year Jade. But this seems to be your number one hit

The other single you put out was JOM never getting on the park. That hit is not doing so well

They would have to drop to bottom 4 with things looking very, very bleak before possible suitors would think twice about going to Hawthorn, they have dropped off in 2009 and come back strong and have been a very well run club for a long time. They could easily have a year like Geelong in 2015 and come back and it wouldn't be stretch to suggest that with some of the assets they have, such as Clarko.

IMO it would be an easier sell to get someone to Hawthorn than a perennial middle of the road side such as Richmond.

They would have to drop to bottom 4 with things looking very, very bleak before possible suitors would think twice about going to Hawthorn, they have dropped off in 2009 and come back strong and have been a very well run club for a long time. They could easily have a year like Geelong in 2015 and come back and it wouldn't be stretch to suggest that with some of the assets they have, such as Clarko.

IMO it would be an easier sell to get someone to Hawthorn than a perennial middle of the road side such as Richmond.
I actually think Melbourne would currently be a more attractive prospect than Hawthorn for top of the list free agents but I guess we'll see how that plays out at the end of the year.

They'd have to play substantially better than they did this past weekend.

And honestly, where does the improvement come from?

Who played a good game for the hawks last weekend? Mitchell, perhaps Rough considering.... there's your answer.

Have you noticed Cats and Hawks posters being nice to each other recently? Likely that we are realising that we are both copping the same type of insults from everyone else - from supporters of teams who are desperate to see our teams fail after sustained success

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cutting older players makes sense.

Cutting older players that finish 1st and 2nd in your B&F not so much.

If I was Hawthorn I would have cut Gibson and traded a guy like Shiels out instead. Maybe Burgoyne or Hodge if you are really itching to cut old guys.

Shiels like Caddy B grade at best and you would have got an earlyish pick to get a top end young talent like a Parfitt and still cleared a similar amount of cap space as we are told Mitchell and Lewis took big pay cuts anyway.

Then you have Mitchell and Lewis for the now and Mitchell, O'Meara, Parfitt type for the future with the two older guys making the transition between the groups easier. Now you have Mitchell and O'Meara as 1 and 2 basically with plodders like Shiels and Langford for inside support.

Last edited:
Cutting older players makes sense.

Cutting older players that finish 1st and 2nd in your B&F not so much.

If I was Hawthorn I would have cut Gibson and traded a guy like Shiels out instead. Maybe Burgoyne or Hodge if you are really itching to cut old guys.

Shiels like Caddy B grade at best and you would have got an earlyish pick to get a top end young talent like a Parfitt and still cleared a similar amount of cap space as we are told Mitchell and Lewis took big pay cuts anyway.

Then you have Mitchell and Lewis for the now and Mitchell, O'Meara, Parfitt type for the future with the two older guys making the transition between the groups easier. Now you have Mitchell and O'Meara as 1 and 2 basically with plodders like Shiels, Langford and Hartung for support.
Needed to give JOM and TOM opportunities though

I'm more scared about our HB line than the midfield. Not sure who we would have got to fill in those spots from trades last year but open to argument on this

You are a two hit wonder this year Jade. But this seems to be your number one hit

Sometimes, you just nail it I guess.

The other single you put out was JOM never getting on the park. That hit is not doing so well

Don't think I've said he wouldn't get on the park - care to show me that one?

Question if he will, sure - bloke was out for two years. Really showed too.

Hey guys,

impartial poster here, I know it says i go for Essendon but I couldn't create an account without picking a team.

Anyway, I agree with Jade that the hawks are ****ed

Who played a good game for the hawks last weekend? Mitchell, perhaps Rough considering.... there's your answer.

I think this is a big problem for you guys. You think because they played poorly they'll simply get better - I say they don't have the ability - whether through aging, or just not having it in the first place.

Frawley and Gibson for example were completely exposed by Daniher and Hooker. Now don't get me wrong, I rate our key forwards, but we aren't the only side in the league with a decent pair up forward. Gibson looks completely shot TBH; bloke was so terrified of Danihers height by the end of the game that he was gripping on to him for dear life. And this from a guy that used to be athletic enough to compensate for his lack of height (as a key defender).

22 possessions wasn't invisible. Agree he could play better but looked good after two years of not playing.

How was Jobe's game btw?

Not too bad actually.

Not ball tearingly good BTW, but the fact our midfield now has quite the collection of talent means he doesn't have to pick up 35 touches every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back