Opinion Best midfield in the game at the moment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Debatable but I'll go along with you for the sake of commonsense and fair play.

Joey is without doubt número uno ... are you adding Lance, I mean to say when he gets a run on the ball he looks pretty damned good. Me thinks Parker or Hanners gotta be in the mix.
Buddy and Joey are head and shoulders above Hanners when the heat comes on.

Buddy and Joey are head and shoulders above Hanners when the heat comes on.

Hannebery was superb in the 2012 grand final when the heat was on.
He's basically done what most 25 year old's have done and progressed nicely throughout the years.
Last year he was brilliant in two of the finals but wasn't at his best in the grand final. Did suffer a nasty injury in the last quarter though.

Hannebery was superb in the 2012 grand final when the heat was on.
He's basically done what most 25 year old's have done and progressed nicely throughout the years.
Last year he was brilliant in two of the finals but wasn't at his best in the grand final. Did suffer a nasty injury in the last quarter though.
In 2014 he was also rubbish.

Wells, sidebottom, Adams, Treloar, Pendlebury, Grundy, Greenwood, varco, aish, DeGoey. That is the best midfield group in the comp. It's an unbiased opinion based on champion data ratings too :D

I'm a big fan of the GWS and Dogs midfields as they are extremely well balanced with players who can win the ball on the inside and then torch their opponent on the spread.

Kidding right?
Hunter, Macrae, Bontempelli, Daniel, Wallis, Liberatore, Dahlhaus.

It's the sole reason they made the grand final as they virtually had a completely banged up backline.
Dogs have great rotational depth and Roughie is a mobile BM. Also Stringer, Jong, Dunkley, Clay and even Crameri now.

But I'd rate the Pies midfield over Sydney atm and Dogs played both last two weeks.

good question. One would suggest bulldogs but they have been outclassed in the last two weeks in the middle imo. brilliant spread and run and carry I expect there grunt work to pick up sharpish.

would rank

1. GWS
2. Sydney
3. Bulldogs
4. Pies
are my top four

Dogs have great rotational depth and Roughie is a mobile BM. Also Stringer, Jong, Dunkley, Clay and even Crameri now.

But I'd rate the Pies midfield over Sydney atm and Dogs played both last two weeks.

Just love the way the Bulldogs play. They are the most selfless players in the game. Liberatore could be the complete stat accumulator. 30+ disposals if he really wanted it. He doesn't want it though, he wants to do all the underrated work which is not pretty, and is often overlooked by the fans and media alike. He would try and get 16 tackles next week over 30 disposals & 2 goals and that is why the Western Bulldogs are going to have a handful of opportunities to win more premierships.

I don't really rate Collingwood's mids myself. I think Pendlebury is a wonderful player. Treloar is a flashy excitement machine. Adams is a little bull but they are too similar to Geelong's midfield. They are too use to thinking they are better than what they actually are. A Collingwood player who has barely managed 20 games is instantly recognized because of the guernsey he plays for. At Geelong, the players are looked upto like gods. They live in their own world and this reflects on the footy field. Look like millionaires when things are rolling but no so when the chips are down.

good question. One would suggest bulldogs but they have been outclassed in the last two weeks in the middle imo. brilliant spread and run and carry I expect there grunt work to pick up sharpish.

would rank

1. GWS
2. Sydney
3. Bulldogs
4. Pies
are my top four
I've noticed a big shift if our setup around the ball so I feel as though it may be a directive of the coach/gameplan. Last year we we had more numbers around the ball and moved out of traffic with our hands in tight.

I think the changes with the 3rd man up rule and intended interpretations in regards to disposing of the ball has caused Bevo to look at a different option around the ball. We're almost conceding that the opposition will get first hands on the ball at stoppages and then backing our pressure to then win the ball back. It can be quite a risky strategy to often concede a high number of inside 50's, but I guess we have full confidence in our pressure around the ball to force a rushed opposition forward entry and then use our backline structures to mop up the ball which is where we can generate our clean attacks from.

This would also explain explain our extraordinarily high tackle count to start the year. Time will tell whether this is a directive plan or it's simply just a poor start from our midfield.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've noticed a big shift if our setup around the ball so I feel as though it may be a directive of the coach/gameplan. Last year we we had more numbers around the ball and moved out of traffic with our hands in tight.

I think the changes with the 3rd man up rule and intended interpretations in regards to disposing of the ball has caused Bevo to look at a different option around the ball. We're almost conceding that the opposition will get first hands on the ball at stoppages and then backing our pressure to then win the ball back. It can be quick a risky strategy to often concede a high number on inside 50's, but I guess we have full confidence in our pressure around the ball to force a rushed opposition forward entry and then use our backline structures to mop up the ball which is where we can generate our clean attacks from.

This would also explain explain our extraordinarily high tackle count to start the year. Time will tell whether this is a directive plan or it's simply just a poor start from our midfield.

Agree completely with this.

We've definitely set up differently around the ball. A lot of players in different positions to start the year and less numbers around the ball.

Pies are rubbish at both ends, their midfield is amazingly good.
Collingwood for the last few seasons have been so keen and determined to get midfielders in, they got too many now. Not sure if it is a good problem to have or not.

Collingwood for the last few seasons have been so keen and determined to get midfielders in, they got too many now. Not sure if it is a good problem to have or not.

Too many of them are perennially injured though.
In fact, I'll go as far as to say Collingwood have had the worst luck of run with injuries over the last 5 years than any other football club.

It is interesting, but it appears that Collingwood are the best stat accumulators, rather than the best midfield.

The good midfields also need to defend well and Collingwood appear to be failing in that area.

It is interesting, but it appears that Collingwood are the best stat accumulators, rather than the best midfield.

The good midfields also need to defend well and Collingwood appear to be failing in that area.

One way runners you reckon?

Funny people having Melbourne in their top four at the start of the season. Easily bottom four when you actually watch them. Rabble.
You're reacting off a small sample of footy. Two weeks back you called Collingwood's midfield front runners and no good, the following week they were the best pressure team with an astounding number of tackles and one-percenters among its top midfielders.

You're reacting off a small sample of footy. Two weeks back you called Collingwood's midfield front runners and no good, the following week they were the best pressure team with an astounding number of tackles and one-percenters among its top midfielders.
They are front runners and no good lol. One games doesn't change that. Pies and Dees have overrated midfields. Have both been shown up plenty of times by better outfits this season already.

They are front runners and no good lol. One games doesn't change that. Pies and Dees have overrated midfields. Have both been shown up plenty of times by better outfits this season already.
Collingwood's midfield has been significantly better than their opponents apart from Richmond where we lacked pressure and were hurt on the counter attack - overrated isn't a word I would use for one sub par performance out of three. Melbourne's midfield isn't as quick or effective with the ball as some would have expected which hurts them. Their last two results have been against two other splendid midfields, so they haven't been given much of an edge from the get go. If they are beaten by Richmond's midfield next week, questions definitely have to be asked.

Collingwood's midfield has been significantly better than their opponents apart from Richmond where we lacked pressure and were hurt on the counter attack - overrated isn't a word I would use for one sub par performance out of three. Melbourne's midfield isn't as quick or effective with the ball as some would have expected which hurts them. Their last two results have been against two other splendid midfields, so they haven't been given much of an edge from the get go. If they are beaten by Richmond's midfield next week, questions definitely have to be asked.
Thought Melbourne struggled against Carlton as well. Their midfield lacks pace. Viney shanks em and can't find it at the moment, Oliver is too scared to kick, Jones is solid without being a gun, Lewis is over the hill (and sidelined), Tyson is bang average and the rest are part-timers. Nowhere near elite.

Thought Melbourne struggled against Carlton as well. Their midfield lacks pace. Viney shanks em and can't find it at the moment, Oliver is too scared to kick, Jones is solid without being a gun, Lewis is over the hill (and sidelined), Tyson is bang average and the rest are part-timers. Nowhere near elite.
Actually yes, they were very underwhelming against the Blues. I'm trying not to get sucked into the Oliver hype, as he simply doesn't kick enough of the pill to be a really damaging midfielder in the future; I'd compare him to Matt Priddis. I do rate Tyson but there's not a lot of upside with his game, and what he is is what he'll continue to be. They need the class of Petracca to be playing more in the middle where he can rack up touches and pop them inside 50. They also need to target some faster players in the trade and draft periods.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back