DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
As I said in the match thread, while Australia performed much better than expected, I thought it would be prudent to make an extended post analysing this series, what we did right, what we did wrong, and the possible implications going forward.

What we did right:

Preparation/Strategy: There is no doubt that we prepared for this series extensively, unlike with past subcontinental tours. Credit for this idea probably has to go to Smith, not Lehmann, since the Lehmann/Clarke duo never prepared this extensively. Our preparation for this series showed in the way we usually played as straight as possible, rather than playing for extensive turn.

Our strategy was also broadly more defensive and attritional than usual. Not only did we grind out our runs much more than usual, we also bowled to relatively defensive fields to restrict Indian boundaries and choke their run rate. This approach was adopted by Adam Gilchrist in 2004 and I would say it worked relatively well here too. We coaxed quite a few wickets from dumb shots and even when we didn't, we restricted their run rate to the point where we gave ourselves a shot at a draw, as in Ranchi.

Selecting Glenn Maxwell
: He added verve in the field and made meaningful contributions in both the matches he played.

Selecting Pat Cummins: He bowled with real fire and surprisingly impressive control given his reputation. While he did bowl the odd pie, he only really went for runs when he was pulling out all the stops to grab a wicket, as in Dharamsala's second innings.

Team Spirit: Unlike the past India tour, which was marred by dressing-room tensions and controversies over homework, this Australian side has kept up a united front and has shown commitment to the task at hand. Both Smith and Lehmann IMO deserve credit for this.

Bowling: As mentioned above, our bowlers rarely bowled badly, except Starc in Bangalore's second innings. They kept up their lines and lengths well even when things weren't going their way. SOK usually kept things tight, exploited the Pune turner quite magnificently and showed incredible endurance, while Lyon exploited the bounce at Bangalore and Dharamsala to great effect.

They also kept India's talismanic captain Kohli quiet. Considering he had scored a million runs against England, this was some feat.

Fielding: Was simply magnificent at Pune and generally good throughout. Except Renshaw's dolly at Dharamsala and Wade's at Ranchi, we only erred in not grabbing more of the half-chances.

Steve Smith's batting: He plundered 500 runs for the series and was generally batting on a different surface to his teammates. The only criticisms I have of him are that he could have scored more runs during the Bangalore/Dharamsala second innings.

Wade: He wasn't outstanding, but his keeping was much better than expected and he did make some useful runs down the order. Just about receives a thumbs-up from me.

What we did wrong:

No killer instinct: Steve Smith's sides often appear to lack a killer instinct. We saw it in Sri Lanka, where we could not capitalise on two first innings leads, against South Africa in Perth where we should have bowled them out for about 150 in their first innings and again in India. In Bangalore, Ranchi and Dharamsala we were in advantageous or at least 50/50 positions on a number of occasions and we could not capitalise.

I suspect strongly that the problem is a lack of match awareness, which leads onto...

Tactics: Steve Smith's man-management, strategic preparation and apparent willingness to learn from his mistakes deserve praise, but not so much his on-field tactics. IMO he lets the game drift for too long and lacks inspiration. He could have used his part-timers and changed up his fields more and when the match situation changed he found it difficult to alter his run-saving strategy. For example, in Bangalore's 2nd innings he seemed unsure whether to chase wickets or save runs and ultimately did neither.

The Marsh selections: I said at the start of the series that while Shaun's selection made some sense, in light of his relative ability against spin versus Khawaja's, Mitch's selection made zero sense. He was basically thrust back into the side not long after being dropped for extended under-performance. Predictably, he failed with the bat and bowled very little.

Unfortunately, while I don't think we could have saved Ranchi without him, Shaun generally didn't justify his place. The old problems of inconsistency and injury bedeviled him and while he batted better than his average of 18 suggested, I do wonder whether we should have just gambled on an in-form Shield batsman like Patterson instead. At least that would have served the longer term.

Batting fragility under pressure: Part of the reason why we lack a killer instinct is because we collapse under pressure. We did it in Sri Lanka, against South Africa in Perth and again in Bangalore and Dharamsala.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Probably a combination of expectation, inexperience, Marsh's inconsistency and the fact that touring sides tend to collapse in India.

Dharamsala selection: With hindsight Bird would have been a better pick for the conditions at Dharamsala than SOK. I don't necessarily blame the selectors for assuming that this pitch would be like the others however.

Implications going forward:

Shaun Marsh: IMO Shaun Marsh's Test career should be over. He's almost 34, inconsistent and injury-prone. He's played some fine innings for Australia over the years but I think we would be better served giving a younger batsman some Test experience in the event someone gets injured or loses form. Whom that player should be is probably for more avid SS watchers to decide.

Mitch Marsh: Should not be selected for a long while after this. He neither justifies his place in the side with bat or ball.

Ideal bowling lineup: If Cummins continues to display the control that he has and remains injury-free, I actually think our ideal bowling lineup in Australian conditions is Hazlewood/Starc/Cummins/Lyon, except maybe at the SCG. I think Bird is a solid third seamer, but he lacks Cummins' upside and Starc's left-arm variety. Pattinson is very talented, but IMO he's a bit too inconsistent to play with Starc, much in the same way I never liked playing Starc with Johnson. Other names like Sayers and Behrendorff could come into the mix too.

I think the ideal bowling lineup consists of one solid holding seamer (Hazlewood/Bird), one who can both constrict and attack as needed (Hazlewood/maybe Cummins?) and a pure strike bowler who can just go for the throat without worrying about conceding runs (Pattinson/Starc).

Lyon is IMO better than SOK in Australian conditions because he gets more bounce, turn and drift than SOK. SOK is a solid stock bowler who is hard to get away, but IMO he doesn't turn or flight the ball enough to trouble good batsmen in good conditions.

#6: The selectors and Smith appear not to be on the same page RE the #6. The selectors appear to be selecting for a batting all-rounder but Smith has relatively little interest in using his part-timers. This issue between them should IMO be resolved. Either tell Smith to actually bowl his all-rounder or just simply select the best batsman and have Warner and Smith roll the arm instead.

Change of coach: While I seriously doubt that CA would consider removing him, I do think Lehmann is not really required anymore. Lehmann was brought in to cover for Clarke's lack of man-management skills but Smith's man-management skills appear to be much better than Clarke's. I think what Smith needs is a more tactical coach whom can advise Smith in between sessions of how to adjust to the match situation, whether by changing his fields or bowling certain bowlers.

Resolving batting collapses: I think that such collapses will be curtailed as Renshaw and Handscomb become more experienced. However, a solid, consistent #6 would not hurt either. What has hurt us down the years is having flaky, inconsistent players or under-performers like North and the Marsh brothers batting down the order. Maxwell deserves a run in the side but I'm not sure we can afford for him to be a flake.

Wade: Has done enough to warrant a reasonable run in lieu of obvious better options.

I would also say that Warner has been an obvious disappointment. IMO he simply is not adaptable enough. It looked at times like he was trying to be more circumspect, but ultimately he neither spent that much time at the crease nor scored that many runs.

He is still needed for home conditions IMO, but an eye must be kept on his form.

I would argue selecting Pat Cummins went wrong. He leaked runs at important times and didn't take the wickets that a supposed strike bowler takes. Bird would have been a better person to have on these wickets and Australias obsession for pace was shown up. Just look at the amount of wickets the pacemen actually took in 4 games. 22! That's 1/4 of the wickets.

I would argue selecting Pat Cummins went wrong. He leaked runs at important times and didn't take the wickets that a supposed strike bowler takes. Bird would have been a better person to have on these wickets and Australias obsession for pace was shown up. Just look at the amount of wickets the pacemen actually took in 4 games. 22! That's 1/4 of the wickets.

I don't think Bird would have done much at Ranchi. At Dharamsala Bird should really have come in for SOK, not Cummins.

I don't think Bird would have done much at Ranchi. At Dharamsala Bird should really have come in for SOK, not Cummins.
Imo he's a better bowler on these types of decks because he moves the ball. That was the problem we had, not enough ball movement. McGrath and Gillespie had great India records because of their ability to move the ball. Yes one is an all time great, but Gillespie isn't an all time great and had a similar record.

Imo he's a better bowler on these types of decks because he moves the ball. That was the problem we had, not enough ball movement. McGrath and Gillespie had great India records because of their ability to move the ball. Yes one is an all time great, but Gillespie isn't an all time great and had a similar record.

McGrath and Gillespie had great Indian records because they could reverse swing and cut the ball. I'm not sure Bird has ever really demonstrated this ability? Unless you've seen a side of him that I haven't, he always struck me as more of an English seamer type who relied on conventional seam and swing to take wickets.

With the exception of Mitch Marsh, I think all selections were more or less vindicated. Could argue for Khawaja in for Smarsh or Warner, but it's very debatable whether he would have been an improvement over either of them (especially Smarsh).

Was nice to see Wade being competent behind the stumps.

I was a big detractor of Wade but he was super impressed with him all round, kept well, batted well and was good in the media

He'll keep his spot for quite some time and I won't be surprised if he takes the VC at some point

Some of the sledging was quality too

I think he did a great job considering the pressure he was under

Sick of the Australian arrogance. Seeing Matthew Wade have a go about someones spot in the side - seriously of all spuds?! Wade, Warner and Maxwell are three of the biggest ********s going around.

Glad we got smashed and that says a lot cos I hate India too. My despising of the Australian cricket team continues.

Sick of the Australian arrogance. Seeing Matthew Wade have a go about someones spot in the side - seriously of all spuds?! Wade, Warner and Maxwell are three of the biggest ********s going around.

Glad we got smashed and that says a lot cos I hate India too. My despising of the Australian cricket team continues.
you hate India 'Dhoni'?

Losing a 4 match series 2-1 isn't really getting smashed...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bird wasn't necessarily the best option, it was very much a new ball pitch, after 30 overs not a lot in it for the quicks. We needed a 2nd spinner more capable of getting wickets. They ended up targeting okeefe cos he wasn't spinning it past the bat. However some pitches a 3rd seamer might've been appropriate. (2nd test)
Wade was passable but his glovework to spin is a concern. He misgloved plenty of balls, he didn't cost us too many chances. Just a few. But one cost us the 2nd test. They must consider other options for next subcontinent tour.

No one stepped up in the batting to support Smith. India had pujara & Rahul, we had Smith & no-one.

I think we need to consider two team setups depending on the pitch,

1. being the one we went with 2 pace 2 spin. But 6 as a batsmen as the allrounder was not really needed

2. Similar to india with 5 bowlers with 2 being bowling allrounder e.g.

Warner
renshaw
Smith
Handscomb
Khawaja / maxwell
Wade
Agar
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

2nd lineup allows us to get more out of the quicks if there is swing or bounce for them, but still has the spin options required, both directions & india can't attack & isolate our only spin option. Also rejuvenates a tired lineup adding the 5th option.

All in all, we aren't too far off comparing to where we were 4 years ago

For me we lost this series on days 2 and 3 of that second test.

we did grind it out well at times but we also had some really soft dismissals on day 2 just two i remember renshaw when set ran down the wicket and was stumped and marsh just clipping a half volley to the man right before stumps when he was well set and then a 5 wickets for 7 run collapse from the tail followed on day 3, our quicks then bowled maybe their worst spell of the series and the 80 run lead was gone in the blink of an eye.

That is the real missed chance that game, india bowled very well day 2 but they still looked rattled they knew the series was slipping away and we were agonizingly close to batting them out of it and we just weren't quite good enough.

Don't be so precious

The reality is that we were in major positions of strength in EVERY game, and managed to choke 3 times, spectacularly on 2 of those occasions, to lose 2-1.

That's not a good look and the major problem remains the batting, As it has been for quite some time now.

You get to bowl another ball if you bowl a dumb one. You usually don't get another chance with the bat if you play a dumb shot, and that's been a lot of the problem. Dumb shots/loose defence. That's what really needs fixing.

Warner
Renshaw
Smith
Khawaja
Handscombe
Maxwell
Wade
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood

That's my team. You can bring in Pattinson for Lyon on bouncy pitches and bowl Mazwell and Smith some more. Maxwell has plenty of promise IMO.

The reality is we should have been 2-0, that is where we lost the series. That 2nd test should have been a sitter of a chase instead we had blokes trying to win it in 4 overs.

Batting showed some signs going forward with Renshaw and Handscomb. Maxwell provides an option at 6 (although I'm sceptical whether he will do as well at home).

Negatives are the continual Marsh selections, they are both awful, stop picking them. They either do nothing or get injured, sometimes both! 1-2 innings' in 8 is a rubbish return!

The reality is we should have been 2-0, that is where we lost the series. That 2nd test should have been a sitter of a chase instead we had blokes trying to win it in 4 overs.

Batting showed some signs going forward with Renshaw and Handscomb. Maxwell provides an option at 6 (although I'm sceptical whether he will do as well at home).

Negatives are the continual Marsh selections, they are both awful, stop picking them. They either do nothing or get injured, sometimes both! 1-2 innings' in 8 is a rubbish return!
Come on mate. Was always going to be a tricky chase. I agree with you though, our players s**t the bed.

Come on mate. Was always going to be a tricky chase. I agree with you though, our players s**t the bed.

We made it tricky, there was some good bowling but jeez apart from Smith the rest of them basically threw their wickets away. That's where the series was lost, then we could have got the draw in the 3rd. The 4th wouldn't have mattered.

One score in 8 innings, absolutely brilliant and didn't cost the team at all.

I was a big detractor of Wade but he was super impressed with him all round, kept well, batted well and was good in the media

He'll keep his spot for quite some time and I won't be surprised if he takes the VC at some point

Some of the sledging was quality too
Kept pretty well, batted with some grit and a loudmouth behind the stumps.

A true Aussie keeper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back