Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

The new stadium looks good, what I find amusing is how the old grounds such as Subi and Football park get bad mouthed at every opportunity. They've been brilliant grounds have s**t loads of history and with a bit of love and attention would've coped with AFL action for years, but when the latest shiny new thing comes in the propaganda starts.
I've never been to Perth so I can't comment on the situation there, but I've been to both Football Park and Adelaide Oval on many occasions as I lived in Adelaide for a number of years.

Football Park was in a dog of a location. The ground itself and its amenities weren't that bad, but at the end of the day it would have been a poor decision long-term to persevere with it.

Since Adelaide Oval has been redeveloped, the whole riverbank area on the Torrens has been receiving an ongoing revitalisation. There's a bigger picture at play here, at least for the city of Adelaide.

The Perth stadium looks fantastic in the rendered images I've seen. I'm hoping to go to Perth in the next couple of years for a holiday, so I'll definitely incorporate a footy game within the trip.

Screen Testing
b1dada60-eb44-47ce-8222-56fb7ff30ded-large.jpeg
:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Channel 9:
The budget on the Swan River footbridge has blown out by a staggering $16 million as the new West Australian government comes to grips with a one-year delay on the project.

The reported cost has soared from $54 million to $70 million and construction won't be completed until the end of 2017, which puts the new venue hosting an Ashes Test in jeopardy.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-in-16-million-black-hole#Z0BovCgbxXc4KWQ5.99

From Channel 9:
The budget on the Swan River footbridge has blown out by a staggering $16 million as the new West Australian government comes to grips with a one-year delay on the project.

The reported cost has soared from $54 million to $70 million and construction won't be completed until the end of 2017, which puts the new venue hosting an Ashes Test in jeopardy.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-in-16-million-black-hole#Z0BovCgbxXc4KWQ5.99
If it's that important for the cricket get the US Army engineers to bring in their fold up bridge system which can be built up to half a mile long and you can drive several tanks over it at the same time not just one at a time. They then can fold up part of it and leave the majority of it sitting on the water so boats can get thru for part of the day.

If it's that important for the cricket get the US Army engineers to bring in their fold up bridge system which can be built up to half a mile long and you can drive several tanks over it at the same time not just one at a time. They then can fold up part of it and leave the majority of it sitting on the water so boats can get thru for part of the day.

Just politics at play IMHO.

Last edited:
Stadium pics - starting south-east and walking anti-clockwise

stadium170402a_zpsmwgztwc7.jpg

Image hosted on PhotoBucket (by me)

stadium170402b_zpsqvdkzrck.jpg

stadium170402c_zpskmjqgv07.jpg

stadium170402d_zpsvsnbq72v.jpg

stadium170402e_zpsh4ssrc7h.jpg