Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

ARES

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2005
Live for footy
AFL Club
Richmond
Great post. Lots of experience with balls there.
How do you distinguish between top and next runged courses?
Hard question... I like a challenging course with top fairways, undulating greens with challenging bunkers and tactical holes that make you think which club to pull out on a tee as also approach shot.
Don't like courses where holes look and feel identical, flat, mundane...
Melbourne sandbelt is bloody awesome, Mornington peninsula...
Mates have made trips to Barnbougle, kicking myself for not tagging along, but the one I am keen to have a hit on is Brookewater

We are so blessed with courses in Oz!

Hard question... I like a challenging course with top fairways, undulating greens with challenging bunkers and tactical holes that make you think which club to pull out on a tee as also approach shot.
Don't like courses where holes look and feel identical, flat, mundane...
Melbourne sandbelt is bloody awesome, Mornington peninsula...
Mates have made trips to Barnbougle, kicking myself for not tagging along, but the one I am keen to have a hit on is Brookewater

We are so blessed with courses in Oz!

aye we are.

flat courses can be tactical however, we all know this. Although i prefer the undulating stuff cause im used to it, a flat course presents far more of a challenge for myself.

curious could you list what you'd call exceptional courses, and those that are the next rung down. Hope some of them include country/rural courses as I havent played anything further than hidden valley (in victoria)

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Not sure if much discussion on golf balls has been had but I've noticed every time I think I've settled on a ball, I find another one to play with.

This is how I roll

I prefer to use new/newish B330-s, Z star, Chrome soft, Nxt tour or DT true soft (occasionally pro v1s) balls when I play on exceptional courses. With my mates we have our prefered balls and swap at will.
On the lesser courses I may use e6 or e7, any used Titliest or used Srixon and I find them not too far behind the more expensive brands

But the ball I have been enjoying lately, is Callaway SuperSoft... I get good distance of the tee and they bite around the green. Bang for your buck the ball at the moment
Pro v1's are the best balls. Too expensive for me though. If you struggle with control, Pro v1x is the best option if you can afford it. They are very durable as well.
As you were saying, Callaway Supersoft is the best ball value wise out of the lost. It is a very good ball for distance and control. I buy these from GolfBox. Two dozen costs $49. I bought 2 dozen Srixxon Z Stars for $79 but they don't go as far as the Callaway Supersoft and I have less control.

ARES

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2005
Live for footy
AFL Club
Richmond
aye we are.

flat courses can be tactical however, we all know this. Although i prefer the undulating stuff cause im used to it, a flat course presents far more of a challenge for myself.

curious could you list what you'd call exceptional courses, and those that are the next rung down. Hope some of them include country/rural courses as I havent played anything further than hidden valley (in victoria)

Haven't ventured too far North myself (Depends if we are talking suburbia or towns etc), top of my head have played at Growling Frog, Ringwood, Healsville, Warburton
Growling Frog I like and lately Healsville

I like playing on links courses, more open with a few trees for good measure, not keen on predominantly tree lined courses. Then again I like Augusta course way more than St Andrews...lol

Rung down are the courses that I play at the last minute in which I'm in the area and have 3-4 hours free. Courses that I woul dnot otherwise book for a hit, ones that are flat, no or few bunkers or bunkers that are in poor condition(Pet hate!) But a hit is a hit

ARES

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2005
Live for footy
AFL Club
Richmond
Pro v1's are the best balls. Too expensive for me though. If you struggle with control, Pro v1x is the best option if you can afford it. They are very durable as well.
As you were saying, Callaway Supersoft is the best ball value wise out of the lost. It is a very good ball for distance and control. I buy these from GolfBox. Two dozen costs $49. I bought 2 dozen Srixxon Z Stars for $79 but they don't go as far as the Callaway Supersoft and I have less control.

I don't find the Pro V1s as durable as the B330's
Last one I played at Cape Schank roughed up so quick I was able to peel part away. Other times I find they scruff up a bit too much for my liking, not as soft as I prefer but they have one of the best reactions with clubs from tee to pin

But as you said Callaway Supersoft is the goods. I have bought from Drummond, think $28 or $29 top of my head. $49 for 2 dozen is a good buy ;-)

Haven't ventured too far North myself (Depends if we are talking suburbia or towns etc), top of my head have played at Growling Frog, Ringwood, Healsville, Warburton

I like playing on links courses, more open with a few trees for good measure, not keen on predominantly tree lined courses. Then again I like Augusta course way more than St Andrews...lol

Rung down are the courses that I play at the last minute in which I'm in the area and have 3-4 hours free. Courses that I woul dnot otherwise book for a hit, ones that are flat, no or few bunkers or bunkers that are in poor condition(Pet hate!) But a hit is a hit

I wasnt specifying north in terms of geographical locations, just using an example. So how about other points of the compass?

Jun 29, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I've been meaning to play Grownling Frog for a while now and was almost talked into it on Sunday, stayed home to watch grand prix though (dumb).

ARES

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2005
Live for footy
AFL Club
Richmond
No idea if any pros use the mizuno ball

I personally think golf balls are very identical these days. That is why I don't stick with one brand I look at the weather ie Summer/Winter, the type of course I play (Need distance or touch around green), and whether for some unknown reason I fade too much and I think I have everything downpack so I blame the ball ;-)
I wasnt specifying north in terms of geographical locations, just using an example. So how about other points of the compass?
Have played 13th Beach couple of times. Thumbs up. Stayed there a few times, overlooking 1st hole and practice green. Walked out from room to practice green, also driving range was just beyond practice green. Ideal! Don't mind Barwon heads as a holiday destination.
But overall have stuck to East side. Been meaning to have a hit at Portsea golf course, been quite a few years since I was there. Found it very challenging last time, yet enjoyable

ARES

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2005
Live for footy
AFL Club
Richmond
I've been meaning to play Grownling Frog for a while now and was almost talked into it on Sunday, stayed home to watch grand prix though (dumb).
Been about 4-5 years since I last played there. First hit was when it was newish, everything was fresh and surroundings young ie trees/shrubs. Last time I played there few years back noticed it more mature. Lots of shrubs, a slight misshit and you'll most likely lose your ball, but guaranteed to find others

Been about 4-5 years since I last played there. First hit was when it was newish, everything was fresh and surroundings young ie trees/shrubs. Last time I played there few years back noticed it more mature. Lots of shrubs, a slight misshit and you'll most likely lose your ball, but guaranteed to find others

May I ask what's your handicap?

ARES

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2005
Live for footy
AFL Club
Richmond
May I ask what's your handicap?

Scratch......................................................................................................ing my head here :)

No official handicap but I usually average 12-21 over these days, good and bad days. Unfortunately back takes a few holes to get going, that is why I gave up footy and started playing golf 10 years back. I ease into the golf and usually play back 9 better than front, so if I don't do too much damage at the front 9 I will score lower

Couple of neurofens and plenty of dencorub, mates think it's footy season all over again!

Mar 21, 2007
VIC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can report the Taylormade TP5x ball is MINT!! Very impressive, feels good, performs very much like a pro Vx only seems to be a little longer with middle and shorter irons!! Standard 8 iron for me in calm conditions is around 148-151.. TPx it seems to be more 153-156.. Long off the tee, good feel around the greens, not sure if it is quite as durable as the ProVx but haven't been using them for very long..

Mar 21, 2007
VIC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
New Putter in the bag.. Odyssey BIG T Centre shaft... I had this head with that Mesh face which I never liked the feel of.. Came across one with the Pro (white hot face) absolutely love it! came with a limited edition "dropping bombs" headcover...

hcovers-2016-odyssey-dropping-bomb-mallet____1.png

ARES

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2005
Live for footy
AFL Club
Richmond
Can report the Taylormade TP5x ball is MINT!!

Definitely on the agenda to try them

Ever since Serge was smacking them long at the Masters and showing great iron play, my mate has been keen on buying a dozen, so ill grab a couple of him...

Still like my chrome soft and super soft...

Mar 21, 2007
VIC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Definitely on the agenda to try them

Ever since Serge was smacking them long at the Masters and showing great iron play, my mate has been keen on buying a dozen, so ill grab a couple of him...

Still like my chrome soft and super soft...

TP5X will feel very firm after using the Chromesoft (AKA Marshmellow) but I think you will see a heap more ball speed...

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I have been testing out a Wilson Staff Tour FG F5 driver for the last few rounds and went in for a fitting today at 1pm. It is a 9° driver that can be adjusted down 1° or up 2 degrees in 1° increments. I tried it and a Srixon driver. He didn't worry about Titleist.
The testing showed that the Wilson Staff driver with a stiff shaft was the best fit for me. However, I struggle to get good launch off the tee. Matt, the pro, recommended I get this driver with the 10.5° standard setup and to use it set at 11.5°. Paid $450. He said I can use the one I have been testing while I wait for the new driver.
Matt rang me at 3:30pm and said they don't make the Wilson Staff driver in the 10.5°. However, he could order the 9° driver in with a stiff shaft and I will receive a 15° 3 wood for free because of a deal Wilson Staff is running. I was happy with that. They are also putting a couple of layers of tape under the grip as my hands are quite big.

I have been testing out a Wilson Staff Tour FG F5 driver for the last few rounds and went in for a fitting today at 1pm. It is a 9° driver that can be adjusted down 1° or up 2 degrees in 1° increments. I tried it and a Srixon driver. He didn't worry about Titleist.
The testing showed that the Wilson Staff driver with a stiff shaft was the best fit for me. However, I struggle to get good launch off the tee. Matt, the pro, recommended I get this driver with the 10.5° standard setup and to use it set at 11.5°. Paid $450. He said I can use the one I have been testing while I wait for the new driver.
Matt rang me at 3:30pm and said they don't make the Wilson Staff driver in the 10.5°. However, he could order the 9° driver in with a stiff shaft and I will receive a 15° 3 wood for free because of a deal Wilson Staff is running. I was happy with that. They are also putting a couple of layers of tape under the grip as my hands are quite big.

Good deal!

Is the driver longer and more accurate than your current driver

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
My swing speed is only about 95 to 96mph. It was very consistent. So was my spin revs and launch angle. I only get 200m carry with the driver because my launch angle is 9 to 10 degrees. My home course will give an extra 30 to 40m of run. I kept hitting a consistently small fade but found the fairway. My current driver is very erratic.

My swing speed is only about 95 to 96mph. It was very consistent. So was my spin revs and launch angle. I only get 200m carry with the driver because my launch angle is 9 to 10 degrees. My home course will give an extra 30 to 40m of run. I kept hitting a consistently small fade but found the fairway. My current driver is very erratic.

Sounds like a great improvement

Back