Retired # 5: Brent Stanton - Essendon VFL Head Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

tenor.gif
i did enjoy that little line
250 games haters. :)

Again...no one was booing him. He was having a bad game and he was subbed off.
Revisionism at it's finest (you're not the only one). He was being booed and heckled, in particular the season where it turned out he was carrying a shoulder injury. It had been happening the previous season as well, I remember overhearing at a pre-season game a guy bragging about starting it.

I've enjoyed Stanton's career. There's a reason we always seemed to play worse when he wasn't in the side for many seasons. Throughout the lean years nobody was prepared to run as hard as Stanton for 4 quarters, the man is an endurance machine. There's a very real reason he gets a lot of possessions late in quarters when others have blown up. Some people call them cheap possessions, some people are also stupid.

Eh...i didnt revise anything. I was at that game, sitting behind the player bench. The jeer, not boos came from two sections to my right.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Revisionism at it's finest (you're not the only one). He was being booed and heckled, in particular the season where it turned out he was carrying a shoulder injury. It had been happening the previous season as well, I remember overhearing at a pre-season game a guy bragging about starting it.
Actually it was a bronx cheer.

Eh...i didnt revise anything. I was at that game, sitting behind the player bench. The jeer, not boos came from two sections to my right.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It was against West Coast, happened on the wing, Stants got crushed going back with the flight. Ended up with a cracked shoulder blade. It was blown up by the noncebags commentating the game and now here we are.

Most games played for the Essendon FC:

1. Dustin Fletcher - 400
2. Simon Madden - 378
3. Dick Reynolds - 320
4. Tim Watson - 307
5. Garry Foulds - 300
6. Terry Daniher - 294
7. Bill Hutchison - 290
8. Matthew Lloyd - 270
9. Scott Lucas - 270
10. Don McKenzie - 266
11. Ken Fletcher - 264
12. Jack Clarke - 263
13. James Hird - 253
14. Brent Stanton - 249

Interesting looking at that list - Probably only K.Fletcher,Foulds and McKenzie would be around his level - On second thought would rate K.Fletcher higher than Stanton.

If I had a dollar for every time I see this debate about bronx vs. boo...
What is your opinion? I think there was some booing but mostly I get pissed off by the snide comments of supporters in our members area.

Stanton has never been "booed" - that's an opposition fan thing.

Yes he did get a bronxy when he went off in that game.

Yes he has had frustrating moments - like most players - but this caught on too much with some fans (and media a bit) and got out-of-control in my opinion. Stanton is a cheap avenue for some to vent their frustration and there came a point where it became a confirmation bias thing for some fans - convinced that he is a terrible player they howl and scream at him (this is not "booing" by the way) at every fumble - proof that he's "useless". Other players making those same mistakes would simply get a head shake or a wince. I can't stand it when I hear it at games.

I remember a talk-back hour on late night SEN when one of the callers laid into Stanton and talked instead about building a team around our best players like "Michael Hibberd". At that point in time, Hibberd was in a rut of bad form and the round before the talkback show had just played the shittest game I had ever seen him play, while Stanton got Brownlow votes in the same game.

I think it's completely ****ed that it's gotten to a point where he has to defend himself to the fans and has to deal with those kinds of questions from media, what a ******* demoralising thing for a 250-gamer. And he does it with absolute class. Love the guy.

Congratulations Stants. An Essendon Champion. 250 games of tremendous service. Those who argue otherwise are atrocious judges that probably think Sydney is a better city than Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not destined to win a flag?
Carnthespellcheckers.

What is your opinion? I think there was some booing but mostly I get pissed off by the snide comments of supporters in our members area.
Wasn't at the game and wasn't able to watch either, so I honestly don't have a view.

Either way, I think it's poor to treat one of your own players like that and the snide comments some make about him in the stands strike me as being particularly pathetic.

That must have been one of those years he was carrying our s**t truck midfield.

Bloke has been a great servant of this club.

I can't believe this discussion about Stanton's worth is still a topic.
I believe the Eagles board still crap on about Priddis.

I can't believe this discussion about Stanton's worth is still a topic.
You must have forgotten what it was like pre-2016 (when he'd play every week, often in a losing side).

You must have forgotten what it was like pre-2016 (when he'd play every week, often in a losing side).
I was hoping the past few years made our s**t kicking supporters open their eyes a bit.

I feel sorry for whoever wins the title after Stants retires in a year or so.

Most games played for the Essendon FC:

1. Dustin Fletcher - 400
2. Simon Madden - 378
3. Dick Reynolds - 320
4. Tim Watson - 307
5. Garry Foulds - 300
6. Terry Daniher - 294
7. Bill Hutchison - 290
8. Matthew Lloyd - 270
9. Scott Lucas - 270
10. Don McKenzie - 266
11. Ken Fletcher - 264
12. Jack Clarke - 263
13. James Hird - 253
14. Brent Stanton - 249
Interestingly only Brent and Ken Fletcher from that list are not premiership players and all the others bar Lloyd and Lucas are multiple premiership winners

He has basically been one of our better players for the vast majority of his career, yet people chose to complain about him because he supposedly couldn't live up to the expectations set because of a ******* number on his back.

I personally didn't think he should be getting a game to start the year, but I was really happy he could get a bit done and celebrate.

If he's going to play off half-back, he needs to find a way to influence the game when we don't have the ball (just 1 intercept possession and 1 tackle) but his lack of pace might not be as much of a problem given how quick we can be on the spread through our wings/forwards with Walla, Fanta, Colyer, etc.

Good luck this week Stants. You've been a great servant of the Essendon Football Club and I couldn't be happier you're hitting this milestone!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back