Recommitted Josh Kelly [re-signed]

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I do not think so, and guess what, that contract saga and its effects are still playing out as is another further up north!

You dont think so?

Well, I reckon Sydney had a bit of talent on their list just quietly when they offered that multi-million dollar deal.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why would CFC or Freo not trump you? The restraint of trade would be Kelly being allowed to not accept them given Kelly is supposed to not be a free agent which seems to be a contradiction with the rules of the pre-season draft.

The only reason you are supposedly offering Kelly the multi-million contract is presumably because you have little value on your list going forward. If you had a heap of quality players going forward you probably could not afford Kelly at such a high contract!

Freo are the same and Fyfe is now outside their window so whether it is this year, in 2 years or later he will probably move on like Deledio. It is not like Fyfe could stick around like Pavlich and realistically expect premierships at Freo short to mid-term.

CFC on the other hand have Weitering and plenty of young talent coming through. They could easily offload a Murphy, Gibbs or even Kruzeur and load up on Kelly and Schache creating a young player cartel within their club with a specific future window in mind through the use of contracts and relationship building. Their seems to be some commentary in the media Gibbs could easily be facilitated later in the year via a trade to Adelaide from CFC after the 2016 efforts

I think you're forgetting one important point? What if freo or Carlton don't rate him enough to pay him 9 mill over 9 years? It's a monster offer with a huge element of risk attached to it. Not all clubs would be willing to do that or want to completely restructure their list to do so.
It's not about restraint of trade or Kelly refusing to go to certain clubs. It is about clubs willing to part with 9 mill over 9 years.
If it was as simple as you suggest for other clubs to pounce in the PSD at that price. Why are other clubs not being linked with him with similar deals?
It really is a mute point he won't go to the PSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
I think you're forgetting one important point? What if freo or Carlton don't rate him enough to pay him 9 mill over 9 years? It's a monster offer with a huge element of risk attached to it. Not all clubs would be willing to do that or want to completely restructure their list to do so.
It's not about restraint of trade or Kelly refusing to go to certain clubs. It is about clubs willing to part with 9 mill over 9 years.
If it was as simple as you suggest for other clubs to pounce in the PSD at that price. Why are other clubs not being linked with him with similar deals?
It really is a mute point he won't go to the PSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They might not offer it either. But I think some clubs are going through the evolving landscape picking up what they should do next as are the players. No doubt clubs and players expectations at trade time have dramatically shifted over the years! There has been a lot of change and the Buddy and Boyd deals are only relatively recent as is the national competition and the sports players not having other occupations. Clubs and other stakeholders are still figuring out what they can do and which boundaries can be pushed. The point is CFC and Freo would not need to greatly restructure their list to do it and even if they did whats the loss if their is little to lose? Lynch fell asleep at Brisbane for periods and it still worked out for them as part of a three peat!!

Last edited:

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I think any trading of our 2018 first round pick becomes far more interesting given we will have acess to Tarryn Thomas in that year via our Tassie indigenous academy.

He's tracking as a top 5 pick at the moment, and we may only need 2 second round picks in 2018 and a late pick to take him.

So a deal similar to Treloar very well may work, with North getting Kelly and Thomas across the next 2 years.

I think any trading of our 2018 first round pick becomes far more interesting given we will have acess to Tarryn Thomas in that year via our Tassie indigenous academy.

He's tracking as a top 5 pick at the moment, and we may only need 2 second round picks in 2018 and a late pick to take him.

So a deal similar to Treloar very well may work, with North getting Kelly and Thomas across the next 2 years.
How does the Indigenous Academy work?

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
How does the Indigenous Academy work?

Same as everyone else's next gen academies.

2018 is the first year it comes into effect, functions the same way as GWS/GC/Bri/Syd.

Thomas is an indigenous kid from Tassie, has been confirmed he is eligible and is in our academy. Was Tassie's MVP last year as a bottom ager, is playing in the AIS u/18 vs u/17 mixed game this weekend. Been playing seniors for Nth Launceston in the TSL since he was 15.

Same as everyone else's next gen academies.

2018 is the first year it comes into effect, functions the same way as GWS/GC/Bri/Syd.

Thomas is an indigenous kid from Tassie, has been confirmed he is eligible and is in our academy.
So currently they only allow you to pick up a kid if he lasts past the rookie draft, will every team's work like the Northern Academies from 2018 onwards?

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
So currently they only allow you to pick up a kid if he lasts past the rookie draft, will every team's work like the Northern Academies from 2018 onwards?

That's for non-indigenous/multi-cultural background kids in your next gen academy.

Kids from an indigenous or multi-cultural background are eligible like the northern academies/FS selections.

I assume you are talking about that Richmond idiot who says #weareeveryonesgrandfinal

Or if there someone that has him beat in the moron stakes?
Dont underestimate the Richmond board.

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS

North getting free access to a top 5 kid is BS. Tassie is afl heartland and has always produced stars!!

Am I doing the outrage right?

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
North getting free access to a top 5 kid is BS. Tassie is afl heartland and has always produced stars!!

Am I doing the outrage right?

You're doing it perfectly.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies

Aaaahhh, I love the smell of total hypocrisy in the morning.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Nope.

Only difference is that its traditinal clubs

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Really?

Exactly the same rules and opportunities to draft players is it?

Back in your box I would of thought.

Back