Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. The reunification and the reserves alignment was the icing on the cake, but it just seems comical now, the whole 'brand new club' fallacy.

The argument more or less boils down to 'that guy's wearing a different shirt, so it can't be the same guy from before!'

It's pretty demented really.

I sat next to peter and Geoff on a plane to Darwin from adelaide many years ago. I was a young man wearing a port tracksuit and reading a copy of Fos Williams Dynasty and had no idea who they were. They saw me reading the book and told me who they were and we chatted the whole flight. I asked why Peter didn't play for Port and they said they didn't want him as they didn't think he was good enough. Perhaps there is more of a background than that but that's the answer I they gave!

Sitting next to Port royalty on the plane (Geoff that is).

There must be more to the story given he was a better than average junior and son of a legend.

Sitting next to Port royalty on the plane (Geoff that is).

There must be more to the story given he was a better than average junior and son of a legend.

Hadnt Geoff had a fall out with the club sometime when he was a selector and basically had distanced himself from us?

Perhaps Ford Fairlane or RussellEbertHandball could shed more light?

Last edited:

I've never heard a definitive story about why Peter didn't wind up at Port. There was the falling out from when Geof was chairman of selectors. But Geof also said Port made no effort to get Peter over (probably just expected it to happen) whilst Sturt worked hard to convince him. Probably a combination of the two.

Re the Peter Motley situation.

Geoff had a big falling out with the club and it was reported at the time that he had actually asked for all connection of him to it, be removed, photos etc.
That situation, plus the fact that Peter went to college with a number of Sturt juniors were the reasons given for him playing for them, with the college connection given as the major reason in press reports of the day.

I cannot recall any mention of Port showing no interest in him, and I had never heard reports of that until I watched that fox footy doco last night.

In fact I believe it was the exact opposite, and the Maggies were very keen on obtaining his services.

Best explanation of the tweaks & changes Port have made this preseason....

How Power rediscovered their spark
Peter Ryan April 8, 2017

Training became shorter and sharper, the focus on kicking as a major area improvement. Coaches identified specific kicks for specific moments, aiming to register a small percentage increase in execution. Instead of having match simulation meander along, specific passages of play were repeated again and again at different tempos, with the squad being taught when to go fast in attack, as was its habit, and when it was OK to slow play down.

At times, the squad split into two so all players could participate in the same drill either side of the ground. This resulted in improved execution and skills and allowed more opportunities for players to kick during training. More game-based training took players into positions that forced them to make decisions about their kicking. The shift in the game to developing power-based athletes saw players do more explosive running, with metres covered per minute just one of the measures gaining precedence.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-08/how-the-power-rediscovered-their-spark

Keith Thomas just said there will be a major announcement next week re: china game, sponsorship and the financial position of the china game.

Best explanation of the tweaks & changes Port have made this preseason....

How Power rediscovered their spark
Peter Ryan April 8, 2017

Training became shorter and sharper, the focus on kicking as a major area improvement. Coaches identified specific kicks for specific moments, aiming to register a small percentage increase in execution. Instead of having match simulation meander along, specific passages of play were repeated again and again at different tempos, with the squad being taught when to go fast in attack, as was its habit, and when it was OK to slow play down.

At times, the squad split into two so all players could participate in the same drill either side of the ground. This resulted in improved execution and skills and allowed more opportunities for players to kick during training. More game-based training took players into positions that forced them to make decisions about their kicking. The shift in the game to developing power-based athletes saw players do more explosive running, with metres covered per minute just one of the measures gaining precedence.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-08/how-the-power-rediscovered-their-spark

TOO MUCH INFORMATION! :mad:

Just thinkin bout stuff

Do you guys reckon if Tredrea, 18, was drafted in the last few years he'd have been a midfielder? Cray to think Patty Cripps is the same height.

Nah, not quick enough or agile enough. Probably didn't have the tank either.

That said, he could have developed it if he was drafted as a mid I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tredders was a wingman as a junior before a growth spurt. His dad was a superbly skilled Collingwood six footer.

Nathan Buckley as a junior was shorter than Sam Gray. Had a 15cm growth spurt that tore hip ligaments and kept him out of footy for a while.

Wasn't he a wingman pre draft?
He was selected as all Australian wingman from the 1995 Teal Cup championships the last year it was an U/17 comp. The draft was for 17 year olds back then and that's why we paid him $50k not to nominate for the 1995 draft. It was 1995/1996 period that he had his growth spurt and went from low 170 odd cms to 194cms in 12 months.

The argument more or less boils down to 'that guy's wearing a different shirt, so it can't be the same guy from before!'

It's pretty demented really.
These days I just go the 'two teams one club argument' i.e. you wouldn't call the North Adelaide/inferior team of choice u/16s, reserves & seniors 2-3 different clubs, just different teams playing for the same club. Works even better when u ask if the camry-gals, sanful reserves and afl teams are all in fact different clubs. Stumps them everytime though admittedly that's not too hard if they're dumb enough not to have gotten their heads around basic linguistic nuances in the first place.

#shitclubnohistory
#camrycrowsest2016

Any argument being made about us not being the real Port Adelaide in 2017 should be met with the same sort of attitude you'd show to a flat earther or chemtrails conspiracy theorist.

Roll your eyes and don't give them the satisfaction of engagement.

Yeah, it's why I gave up on the General AFL Board. They're like anti-vaxxers. They've concocted their own narrative from cobbled together and second-hand nonsense and no amount of evidence will sway them because ultimately they need to believe Port Power Est 1996 is an even younger franchise than the one they jumped off their legacy clubs to support.

"So mate, I hear Glenelg are broke, when's the last time you bought a membership or even popped into Brighton Road to support your ailing Bays?"

- "..." *nasal breathing intensifies*

For the younger ones who don't have any pre-1991 ties it's all about being first!!1

Any argument being made about us not being the real Port Adelaide in 2017 should be met with the same sort of attitude you'd show to a flat earther or chemtrails conspiracy theorist.

I wish I could be that zen in the face of stupidity. I guess that's why I like my argument, it's simple, straight to the point and (usually) terminates the herpa derp fairly quickly.

I sat next to peter and Geoff on a plane to Darwin from adelaide many years ago. I was a young man wearing a port tracksuit and reading a copy of Fos Williams Dynasty and had no idea who they were. They saw me reading the book and told me who they were and we chatted the whole flight. I asked why Peter didn't play for Port and they said they didn't want him as they didn't think he was good enough. Perhaps there is more of a background than that but that's the answer I they gave!
Geoff had a massive fall out with Port and wouldn't allow Peter to play for Port.
Over time Geoff and Port made up and he became the manager for Peter and Shaun Burg.

He was selected as all Australian wingman from the 1995 Teal Cup championships the last year it was an U/17 comp. The draft was for 17 year olds back then and that's why we paid him $50k not to nominate for the 1995 draft. It was 1995/1996 period that he had his growth spurt and went from low 170 odd cms to 194cms in 12 months.

Wasn't that much....

He was my height (183cm) in our U/15 Samboy Cup side where I played CHF... Came back the next season for U/17 and he was the height he is now.

Geoff had a massive fall out with Port and wouldn't allow Peter to play for Port.
Over time Geoff and Port made up and he became the manager for Peter and Shaun Burg.

And Tredders, who he's actually related to in a "thrice-removed" type deal.

Yep, I was at a party the other day and a couple of my mates were having a bit of a joke at Port and then started the whole 'claiming another clubs heritage' crap, and as infuriating as it is, it is pointless to waste your breath on these people. If that's what helps them sleep at night while their SANFL clubs wittle away towards irrelevance then I'll let em have it while I enjoy watching my club and team compete in the AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back