Bendigo FNL 2017

Who will win this year's BFNL senior flag

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Was anyone else at the Strah v Sandhurst game on Saturday. Was a strange game with Strath dominating, Sandhurst taking over the Strath running over the top. Kris tan Height must have been injured to spend so much time at full forward, they would want more from Collins but it was his first hit out coming in from Bridgey and Blair Holmes more interested in having a scrap then he was getting a kick. Number 3, not sure who it was has some serious hands on him but drifted out if the game. Not really sure what it meant for the season

Was anyone else at the Strah v Sandhurst game on Saturday. Was a strange game with Strath dominating, Sandhurst taking over the Strath running over the top. Kris tan Height must have been injured to spend so much time at full forward, they would want more from Collins but it was his first hit out coming in from Bridgey and Blair Holmes more interested in having a scrap then he was getting a kick. Number 3, not sure who it was has some serious hands on him but drifted out if the game. Not really sure what it meant for the season

Number 3 is Matt Thornton. Can play but well held.
What I got out of the game is that looking at the 2nds Strath is chock full of quality again and Tom Dowd and Vinnie Flood playing 2nds means Strath could be up and about again. The Strath kids make mistakes and good teams will punish them but they did win and will get better. First game but overall impressed.

Number 3 is Matt Thornton. Can play but well held.
What I got out of the game is that looking at the 2nds Strath is chock full of quality again and Tom Dowd and Vinnie Flood playing 2nds means Strath could be up and about again. The Strath kids make mistakes and good teams will punish them but they did win and will get better. First game but overall impressed.

Ah right Thornton. He marked everything in the second quarter and looked the most dangerous but drifted out of it. If strath can keep their stars fit and in the park they would have to be the most likely contender wouldn't they.

Not sure where the future is for Maryborough....a town that big should really be a powerful team every year.
I think it's been stated previously but the district clubs are what's hurting them! What is it 5 teams with in 15 mins of the centre of Maryborough?? All drawing from the same pool!
Castlemaine is prob somewhat in a similar situation!

I think it's been stated previously but the district clubs are what's hurting them! What is it 5 teams with in 15 mins of the centre of Maryborough?? All drawing from the same pool!
Castlemaine is prob somewhat in a similar situation!

Even allowing for this their results are really disappointing, afterall the same district clubs existed in the 1990's when Maryborough and Castlemaine were playing off in grandfinals. For a couple of years during this era Maryborough led by Jamie Bond were a real powerhouse and Castlemaine with Stephen Oliver were not far behind. It is also not coaching as the current coaches are legends of country football enjoying success with good teams. The BFNL has become very predictable and aside from South (a city club) improving, the 2017 season is all but a repeat of 2016. About a decade ago the league's administration rejected the Goldfields concept (combining the Bendigo and Ballarat clubs into a two division relegation league) on the basis that premierships were being shared around. The Bendigo advertiser led by Luke West supported the rejection of the proposal. Well now the BFNL holds very little interest for supporters outside Bendigo apart from Kyneton (who are still to enjoy any success in a final for decades). I am not trying to be a knocker or armchair critic as I am sure there are people at both clubs busting their guts.

What I am saying is it time for the administration of the BFNL to stop letting the same situation just drift along year after year after year. Now we don't even hear them discussing it. I still like the Goldfields concept. That is putting the powerhouse clubs into division one and the weaker clubs into division two where they can play teams more at their on level. Others who read this forum may have other ideas. These issues are not easily resolved but nothing will change if they are not even acknowledged and faced by the administration. It also wouldn't hurt the Bendigo Advertiser to take the issue on again. Somebody needs to.

I'm with you Albury, something has to give. BFL is no longer a major league, although some people are still steadfast in that belief. A tiered system would be ideal. Travel would increase slightly, but footballers seem happy to do that for the cash they get these days.

I'm with you Albury, something has to give. BFL is no longer a major league, although some people are still steadfast in that belief. A tiered system would be ideal. Travel would increase slightly, but footballers seem happy to do that for the cash they get these days.

Earthmover the ironical thing is travel for clubs like Kyneton & Gisborne in particular travel would be reduced. For Castlemaine & Maryborough any change would be marginal. These are the very clubs that need help! Clubs in the Ovens & Murray & Goulburn leagues would have much greater travel commitments, but enjoy much better crowd support, especially in finals where the BFNL really falls behind all other major leagues.

Does anyone else have any opinions?

Earthmover the ironical thing is travel for clubs like Kyneton & Gisborne in particular travel would be reduced. For Castlemaine & Maryborough any change would be marginal. These are the very clubs that need help! Clubs in the Ovens & Murray & Goulburn leagues would have much greater travel commitments, but enjoy much better crowd support, especially in finals where the BFNL really falls behind all other major leagues.

Does anyone else have any opinions?

Yep go and get Echuca and Rochester back!

Yep go and get Echuca and Rochester back!

Ringo a year or two back there was some discussion in the Goulburn Valley forum about Echuca returning to the BFNL. I couldn't see this being possible without Rochester also moving back and from what I understand Rochester don't want a bar of it. Can you add anything to this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ringo a year or two back there was some discussion in the Goulburn Valley forum about Echuca returning to the BFNL. I couldn't see this being possible without Rochester also moving back and from what I understand Rochester don't want a bar of it. Can you add anything to this?

Mate despite them being rivals neither would move independently. I feel it is the only option for both moving forward. I see the 2018 as a looming disaster for Echuca

Who knows what the closure of Murray Goulburn might do to the footy landscape around Rochester. In 12 months to two years a view on a return to the Bendigo league might yet change 180 degrees.

We finally get some sort of BFNL discussion on this forum and its about two Goulburn Valley Clubs by Goulburn Valley supporters!!

Still the comments are interesting.

I am serious AlburyE. Ringo has been pretty certain for some time in his belief Echuca's future is in the BFNL ... Rochester have not been keen, but given the current economic situation who knows what the future holds.

The footy landscape is ever changing.

BFL has thought they are bigger than what they are for years. Feel in the long term the league will pay a major price for not supporting Bendigo Gold more and assisting to establish a VFL club in Bendigo. We have some great clubs in Bendigo, but right now, as you have said above, teams outside of Bendigo are struggling, and we have a QEO which once South relocate fully to Kennington will be hardly used, while Ballarat welcome an AFL club with open arms this year.

Last edited:
I am serious AlburyE. Ringo has been pretty certain for some time in his belief Echuca's future is in the BFNL ... Rochester have not been keen, but given the current economic situation who knows what the future holds.

The footy landscape is ever changing.

I am taking your comments seriously ST and thank you for them. My concern is nothing seems to be driven from/pushed by the BFNL administration.

Also, as most agree, both clubs would have to come so it would have to rate more unlikely than likely. Still who knows.

Who knows what the closure of Murray Goulburn might do to the footy landscape around Rochester. In 12 months to two years a view on a return to the Bendigo league might yet change 180 degrees.

No effect on the team.

Don't think any footballers work there and they don't sponsor the club

No effect on the team.

Don't think any footballers work there and they don't sponsor the club

Surely it will have some effect. There won't be as many families in the town I would assume, businesses that supply or rely on Murray Goulburn may not have the same revenue and that could affect sponsorships etc. a business of that size in a town like Rochy has to have some impact if not directly then indirectly

Surely it will have some effect. There won't be as many families in the town I would assume, businesses that supply or rely on Murray Goulburn may not have the same revenue and that could affect sponsorships etc. a business of that size in a town like Rochy has to have some impact if not directly then indirectly
Good call roota, silver how many rochy 1's players live within a 20km radius of rochy. How many people live in rochy? I still think the old northern echuca league would be a better fit for echuca and rochy even kyabram. There could be rochy, echuca, echuca utd, moama, ky, kerang, koondrook, leichy, cohuna and 2 swan hill teams. If rochy were to go to the bfl they would lose a link to the juniors as they would be playing elsewhere.
Just in relation to maryborough and castlemaine they both probably feeling the squeeze as more players enjoy playing in the local mcdfl then having a crack in the bfl. I would think a side from maiden gully will join the bfl with the southern sides to play in a revamped rdfl

Good call roota, silver how many rochy 1's players live within a 20km radius of rochy. How many people live in rochy? I still think the old northern echuca league would be a better fit for echuca and rochy even kyabram. There could be rochy, echuca, echuca utd, moama, ky, kerang, koondrook, leichy, cohuna and 2 swan hill teams. If rochy were to go to the bfl they would lose a link to the juniors as they would be playing elsewhere.
Just in relation to maryborough and castlemaine they both probably feeling the squeeze as more players enjoy playing in the local mcdfl then having a crack in the bfl. I would think a side from maiden gully will join the bfl with the southern sides to play in a revamped rdfl
Maiden Gully has a side now, YCW moved to Maiden Gully. Still playing LVFL. Doubt they'll get a second team out there.

I agree with roota on this Trent. The sign probably says about 3,400 but the surrounding dairy farms have upward impact on the community. The loss of jobs at MG will be twofold: families move away, which subsequently diminishes growth at a grass roots level. (And I am talking junior footy rather than dairy farms)

Couldn't tell you how many players live in town, as many travel back to their home club. I see the closure as debilitating rather than fatal, as it will indirectly impact other businesses in a rural town. It might take 2 years to see the full impact.

Back