Next flag - Carlton, Essendon or Richmond?

Who will win their next flag first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Why are Carlton even an option. In 2015 Jack Gunston kicked more than the entire Carlton score in the round 17 flogging. Fast forward almost 2 years and Robbie Gray almost repeated this feat. He was ahead of the Blues at 3/4 time until a few junk time goals got the Blues in front. Seems like a 50 year rebuild.
Carlton have started to amass a pretty good group of kids. While still kids, they are showing they can hack it at AFL level.

Picture a line up in 3-4 years with:
Byrne Marchbank Plowman
Docherty Weitering ...
SPS Cripps Fischer
Pickett Curnow ...
McKay Casboult ...
Kruezer Murphy Gibbs

Its looking pretty good.
There are more kids to come as well but we've seen good things from that group already.
A few more good drafts, continued development and some key holes beings plugged (HBF, Wing, HFF) and they'll have a good side coming.

Likewise, the dons, though they are closer than the Blues
Gleeson Hartley Ambrose
McGrath Hurley ...
Merrett Heppell Colyer
Tippa Daniher Langford
Fantasia Hooker Tippa
Berger Laverde ...
We've got some work to do (rebounding defender, clearance mid, FF/ruck) but the bones are there.

For the Tigers:
McIntosh ... Ellis
Vlaustin Rance Houli
Ellis Prestia Menadue
Caddy Riewoldt Conca
Rioli ... Butler
Nankervis Martin Cotchin
A couple of decent bookends and the Tiges have a strong side.
Would be closer than the other 2 if they can land a couple of decent fish here (e..g. Steven May & Tom Lynch would instantly put them in flag contention imo)

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Rubbish. Thread was started in 2014 when we were languishing at 3-10; and before we started our almighty 9 straight wins charge towards the finals.

As it stands today, we are clearly ahead of the other 2, and will continue to be well ahead for the foreseeable future.
Taken straight from the book "Supporting Richmond: 3 Decades of Optimism"

The only difference is the date means it is the recent edition.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
To be fair, I never said overload with kids. I just questioned why certain players were missing out over others. Lloyd is 27 and I believe he earned his spot last year, as he will further strengthen your forward line. Miles is 25 and would be in the perfect time of his career to be playing his best footy. Markov is the only young player I mentioned, who when playing last year, Tigers fans were all over him (and for a good reason). He can have as much impact on a game as a Docherty or a Laird.

Such players shouldn't be wasted, running around in the twos on a regular basis.

Lloyd is a good player, but at this stage doesn't match our fast running, high pressure forward game plan that Hardwick has implemented. That's plain for any AFL fan to see. But he is too good for VFL.

Miles I'm not sure who he would replace in the side. He's inside mid. We have 2 spots there - Cotchin and Prestia. Good backup though.

Markov you are right about his talent. Looking forward to seeing him play tonight.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Taken straight from the book "Supporting Richmond: 3 Decades of Optimism"

The only difference is the date means it is the recent edition.

You mock us while wishing you were as resolute. In any case our dreams aren't yours to take, and we will have them regardless. Until tonight at least.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
So after all those negatives, it must be hurting to realise that the last few years have been hell for Essendon......and we are still in a conversation about whether your club or the Bombers will get a flag first. How the **** are you not clearly in front after suspensions and draft sanctions?

Maybe that benny hill music isn't playing during Bombers games as much as just the constant sound you hear as the soundtrack to being a tigers supporter.
We are clearly in front, you just lost to Carlton for f@ck's sake and your team is full of player's that couldn't make the finals even while on drugs:$

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
WRT the thread title?

It's cute that you believe that. How very Richmond.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
WRT thread title we are obviously a long way in front of Essendon, Carlton is much more of a concern really, they are 2 to 4 years away from being a decent side, Essendon on the other hand show no real signs of being anything more than the mid table team they have been for a decade, with it's returnees filling plenty of the cap it's hard to see that changing in the near future.

Oh, its not cute that you think Essendon is ahead of Richmond, its pure stupidity, how very Essendon.

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
WRT thread title we are obviously a long way in front of Essendon, Carlton is much more of a concern really, they are 2 to 4 years away from being a decent side, Essendon on the other hand show no real signs of being anything more than the mid table team they have been for a decade, with it's returnees filling plenty of the cap it's hard to see that changing in the near future.

Oh, its not cute that you think Essendon is ahead of Richmond, its pure stupidity, how very Essendon.
I don't think you get it.

You and your tiger friends are making drug jibes (it's like you think they are original). We were sanctioned for them and have come out the other side. Carlton have been much maligned. They too were heavily sanctioned and have been through some tumultuous years. Supporters of both clubs are well aware of the causes of their woes.

Richmond on the other hand had what can only be described as self imposed draft sanctions with a long list of duds.

How does it feel to be in the same conversation as 2 heavily sanctioned teams when talking about the next flag?

It's a little bit like people in an asylum complaining about all the looney people around then.

Richmond are up and about everybody. I know this is the same cockiness we see time and time again from them, but it's really different this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
We are clearly in front, you just lost to Carlton for f@ck's sake and your team is full of player's that couldn't make the finals even while on drugs:$
At least we didn't lose a final to a team that finished 9th... :)
which also happened to be Carlton...weird.

I would say the Tigers are in front, but they have 2 very tough positions to fill to be GF ready
FB and FF are gaps (assuming Riewoldt & Rance play centre halfs)
I can see why they are keen on Schache and I wouldn't be surprised to see them look at a lockdown FB who can play one on one with Hogan/Lynch/Patton

I am seeing shades of Freo 2015/16 though
Nankervis & Martin have been Sandi/Fyfe like this year. Really given the Tigers the edge in clearances and control around the ground.
Injuries there could have a similar effect. Be interesting to see how Martin goes tonight.

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves
Why are Carlton even an option. In 2015 Jack Gunston kicked more than the entire Carlton score in the round 17 flogging. Fast forward almost 2 years and Robbie Gray almost repeated this feat. He was ahead of the Blues at 3/4 time until a few junk time goals got the Blues in front. Seems like a 50 year rebuild.
Was almost going to rubbish your opinion.....until I realised you are a Richmond supporter smashing through a 30+ year rebuild...so you do have some cred in that area.
As you were...

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I dn't think you get it.

You and your tiger friends are making drug jibes (it's like you think they are original). We were sanctioned for them and have come out the other side. Carlton have been much maligned. They too were heavily sanctioned and have been through some tumultuous years. Supporters of both clubs are well aware of the causes of their woes.

Richmond on the other hand had what can only be described as self imposed draft sanctions with a long list of duds.

How does it feel to be in the same conversation as 2 heavily sanctioned teams when talking about the next flag?

It's a little bit like people in an asylum complaining about all the looney people around then.

Richmond are up and about everybody. I know this is the same cockiness we see time and time again from them, but it's really different this time.
No drugs mentioned in the post you replied to but seeing as how you have brought the subject up, your club was below average while on the drugs and even more so without them:$

Isn't it sad that you are so deluded that you wear your convictions for cheating like a badge of honour, can you imagine how little success your team would have had if they had remained honest over the last 3 decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back