Changes vs Essendon (Team in OP. Wells, Phillips & Cox in; Blair, White & Smith out)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just about goals, Grundy gets a hell of a lot more of the ball than NicNat does, NicNat is a walking highlight reel no doubt, but he doesn't do a great deal in between.

No doubt about that. At the same age has he has him m covered for stats in almost every facet except those related to forward line football and contested marking.

Comparing Grundys 2016 to Nicknats 2012 (same age)

Kicks 9 to 4
Disposals 18 to 13
Hitouts 26 to 25
Uncontested possessions 9 to 3
Effective disposals 12 to 9

Which is partly why I'm suggesting he spend a bit more time resting forward when Cox is in the team. He has the ability to be a good forward, he just hasnt spent much time there yet.

NickNat kicked 24 goals in his fourth season. If Grundy (now in his fifth) has gone past him then he'll also kick goals given the opportunity!!
Nic Nat was playing predominantly forward rotating with Cox in his fourth year though iirc.
His best season statistically as a genuine first ruck was 2016, and when he wasn't injured commentators were salivating over him.

Out of curiosity, I compared Nic Nats averages from last year to Grundy's this year so far:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...layerStatus2=A&tid2=5&pid2=3812&fid2=S&type=A

Going by the numbers, if Brodie maintains his form, he will well and truly have surpassed NN as a first ruck imo.

No doubt about that. At the same age has he has him m covered for stats in almost every facet except those related to forward line football and contested marking.

Comparing Grundys 2016 to Nicknats 2012 (same age)

Kicks 9 to 4
Disposals 18 to 13
Hitouts 26 to 25
Uncontested possessions 9 to 3
Effective disposals 12 to 9

Which is partly why I'm suggesting he spend a bit more time resting forward when Cox is in the team. He has the ability to be a good forward, he just hasnt spent much time there yet.
Grundy doesn't have the contested marking ability or nous of a forward to be effective like NN was/is. Just because NN was effective playing that role doesn't mean Grundy will be. In fact, it was pretty much proven that he isn't given his lack of output over his career playing forward when played with Witts or Cox. He kicks the bulk of his goals from the midfield.

Nic Nat was playing predominantly forward rotating with Cox in his fourth year though iirc.
His best season statistically as a genuine first ruck was 2016, and when he wasn't injured commentators were salivating over him.

Out of curiosity, I compared Nic Nats averages from last year to Grundy's this year so far:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...layerStatus2=A&tid2=5&pid2=3812&fid2=S&type=A

Going by the numbers, if Brodie maintains his form, he will well and truly have surpassed NN as a first ruck imo.

We also have a Cox capable of doing the first ruckwork!!!! Let the more talented player be a giant ruckrover who kicks goals....

Nice problem to potentially have if Grundy and Cox can both prove capable as rucks and as forwards. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic....or overly pessimistic on Cox as a forward.

We also have a Cox capable of doing the first ruckwork!!!! Let the more talented player be a giant ruckrover who kicks goals....

Nice problem to potentially have if Grundy and Cox can both prove capable as rucks and as forwards. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic....or overly pessimistic on Cox as a forward.
I think you're being overly optimistic about Grundy as a forward tbh.

Grundy doesn't have the contested marking ability or nous of a forward to be effective like NN was/is. Just because NN was effective playing that role doesn't mean Grundy will be. In fact, it was pretty much proven that he isn't given his lack of output over his career playing forward when played with Witts or Cox. He kicks the bulk of his goals from the midfield.

Grundy won't Improve in that Area IF they don't play him Forward

I don't think it is an issue with Nous. Grundy is a ball winner and I reckon he can find the ball in just about any area of the field he was played.

The issue is purely his marking ability. He is a questionable mark without pressure, often dropping some real sitters. The problem is compounded when he has pressure. He has no ability to mark the ball with any form of pressure on him.

It's probably the biggest concern for his game, and probably why I don't have him as the best ruck in the competition.

He makes up for his marking deficiencies by being the best ruckman in the comp at ground level.

He can really become the complete player if he works on his contested marking, but I reckon it is an area clubs don't do a lot of practice on anymore due to risk of injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not in this case he isn't.

So you have Report or Proof he Trained Yesterday? I hope he did and mattys123 info was wrong as Howe is very important Player

Looked at Photo and Does look like Howe and WHE is in Both Photos

So you have Report or Proof he Trained Yesterday? I hope he did and mattys123 info was wrong as Howe is very important Player

Looked at Photo and Does look like Howe and WHE is in Both Photos
You're asking for proof but then cite photographic proof that he was there from the CFC twitter account.... wtf?

NickNat kicked 24 goals in his fourth season. If Grundy (now in his fifth) has gone past him then he'll also kick goals given the opportunity!!

NicNat plays a lot of footy forward.

I don't think it is an issue with Nous. Grundy is a ball winner and I reckon he can find the ball in just about any area of the field he was played.

The issue is purely his marking ability. He is a questionable mark without pressure, often dropping some real sitters. The problem is compounded when he has pressure. He has no ability to mark the ball with any form of pressure on him.

It's probably the biggest concern for his game, and probably why I don't have him as the best ruck in the competition.

He makes up for his marking deficiencies by being the best ruckman in the comp at ground level.

He can really become the complete player if he works on his contested marking, but I reckon it is an area clubs don't do a lot of practice on anymore due to risk of injury.
He's a good ball winner, but his leading patterns are poor when played forward imo. Whether that's a footy IQ thing or poor coaching remains to be seen I guess. You're right though that he'll never be an effective forward until he improves his contested marking.

DeGoey is the only big out really and he does make a difference. Sinclair, Langdon, Aish, Scharenberg have claims but it's doubtful any of them would make a significant improvement to the 22. Shaz still has a bit to do to reach Goldy's level.

Of any of them a fit and firing Langdon or Sinclair offers most although there is doubts on either of them getting back to previous form.

For the moment De Goey is our only significant missing link for mine so we are virtually full strength. That's more terrifying than exciting I think.

I'm hoping you end up being correct, but from what he's produced at AFL level so far, I'd group Degoey, in terms of making a difference, with the other guys you've listed. This board has gotten ahead of reality in terms of Degoey. He's yet to produce at a high level.

I reckon forward nous has a lot to do with it. Especially in the modern game ruckmen just don't develop forward awareness and leading patterns. Even the ones like a Patty Ryder or David Hale who spend a lot of time forward don't kick many goals. Of our ruckmen Cox because of his size and speed and because he has alrady developed reasonable leading patterns is the forward threat. Seems to be a natural part of his skill set

NicNat is a star. Hasn't developed his play around the ground to the extent that you'd expect, but his ruckwork is miles above anyone elses. Brodie is becoming a very good follower.

I'm hoping you end up being correct, but from what he's produced at AFL level so far, I'd group Degoey, in terms of making a difference, with the other guys you've listed. This board has gotten ahead of reality in terms of Degoey. He's yet to produce at a high level.
Agree but I think he has shown more signs. Has to put it on the table. Even though it was only JLT1 he looked a beast that night and hopefully can become a real goal kicking contested ball mid for us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back