Crowds and TV

Remove this Banner Ad

Many would believe that playing an AFLW game (post JLT) on a Mon., Tues., Wed. or Sunday early evening (ie c. 7pm) would attract MUCH greater TV ratings than 3pm/5pm Fri.; midday/ mid afternoon weekends. And, hence, more valuable TV rights. Far more people are watching generally, in "prime viewing times".

"many"? define "many" because historically mid week games havent been exactly popular. Especially on Foxtel.

AFLW crowds would be much better also. Many fans don't want to sit out in the hot sun for several hours (Many grounds have no/limited cover) -but a balmy summer evening is PERFECT for AFLW.

Sure, all the kids turning up are going to go out on a school night. And its the kids that are the prime target.

Carlton v. St Kilda AFL recent games on Mon.,7pm, regularly attracted crowds c.40,000 -with excellent ratings; some AFL Th. 7pm games recently have had huge crowds, 80,000+(I'm not suggesting AFLW would attract these crowds, simply there is a proven appetite for mid week games).

The last match drew 26,000. And the match was so popular it hasnt been played in 2 years.

Playing in winter would certainly decimate AFLW interest. AFLW needs clear media air, & games, ideally, should not be played concurrently with the AFL.

Do the men's A League in summer play many games starting between 3-5pm Fri;& starting between 10-3 pm on weekends?
More importantly, would the A League consider these times IDEAL, re the players'stamina, concentration, & skill levels? There have been many complaints by soccer supporters re the A League playing during the maximum heat of the day (The W League does -which is revealing re the FFA's priorities).
AF (with bumps & tackles, more running) is a far more physically demanding game (even with interchange) than soccer.

The AFLW players should not have to learn to deal with the heat & humidity -they want to be given the best opportunity to display their skills, & there are alternative times. The strident/biased/uninformed claims from many, that the "AFLW skills are crap, don't promote or broadcast it"etc, are likely to be ongoing -maybe for decades. The AFL needs to remove the severe hindrance that is unfairly imposed on the AFLW by not scheduling games (or minimising as much as possible) starting in summer between 10 -6pm.

AFLW players are faced with the same difficulties the men do during the day time, and the ratings alone dont justify them being played in place of the mens games.

Changes to match times are not going to happen any time soon. Its their best chance to aim for their prime market - which in this case is as much about attendance as it is about tv, and as much about kids and young women as it is about anything else.

Many would believe that playing an AFLW game (post JLT) on a Mon., Tues., Wed. or Sunday early evening (ie c. 7pm) would attract MUCH greater TV ratings than 3pm/5pm Fri.; 10am/ midday/ mid afternoon weekends. And, hence, more valuable TV rights. Far more people are watching generally, in "prime viewing times".
AFLW crowds would be much better also. Many fans don't want to sit (if, in fact, there are sufficient seats) out in the hot sun for several hours (Many grounds have no/limited cover) -but a balmy summer evening is PERFECT for AFLW.
Carlton v. St Kilda AFL recent games on Mon.,7pm, regularly attracted crowds c.40,000 -with excellent ratings; some AFL Th. 7pm games recently have had huge crowds, 80,000+(I'm not suggesting AFLW would attract these crowds, simply there is a proven appetite for mid week games).

Playing in winter would certainly decimate AFLW interest. AFLW needs clear media air, & games, ideally, should not be played concurrently with the AFL.

Do the men's A League in summer play many games starting between 3-5pm Fri;& starting between 10-3 pm on weekends?
More importantly, would the A League consider these times IDEAL, re the players'stamina, concentration, & skill levels? There have been many complaints by soccer supporters re the A League playing during the maximum heat of the day (The W League does -which is revealing re the FFA's priorities).
AF (with bumps & tackles, more running) is a far more physically demanding game (even with interchange) than soccer.

The AFLW players should not have to learn to deal with the heat & humidity -they want to be given the best opportunity to display their skills, & there are alternative times. The strident/biased/uninformed claims from many, that the "AFLW skills are crap, don't promote or broadcast it"etc, are likely to be ongoing -maybe for decades. The AFL needs to remove the severe hindrance that is unfairly imposed on the AFLW by not scheduling games (or minimising as much as possible) starting in summer between 10 -6pm.

I agree with you that the AFLW should play (if possible) only evening games including during the week - though crowds would probably suffer to some degree...when it starts expanding in to the men's season they should definitely look to start playing more mid week games.

It is not as simple to say "more ratings equals more $$". 100,000 on a multi on a saturday morning would be worth a lot more than 200,000 on a main channel during prime time. That said, I think the future is largely on multis on an FTA. I think you miss a big part of your potential audience on fox and the women's game is only likely to add marginal value to subscribers

"PRIME viewing times" is self explanatory -& attracts top advertising $ for a good reason.
It is ok if AFLW mid week summer evening games show on channels other than FTA main channel.

Mid week AFL games in Melb. (& I think a Th. game at AO?) in early evening in winter (when it is dark, often cold, & miserable cf glorious balmy summer evenings) have had NUMEROUS very large crowds. The time slot is definitely viable for good (ie 5- 10,000) summer AFLW crowds. Re school kids, might be a need to experiment with 6, 6.30, & 7 pm starts -to determine which gets the biggest crowds. I concede it may not be suitable for children under 10.
I've been to evening AFLW games -its a carnival atmosphere, fantastic. Perhaps we can agree to disagree on summer evening crowd nos. cf Fri. 3-5pm;& sat./Sun. games between 10-6 pm

AFLW players are NOT faced with the same difficulties the men do during the (summer) day time -the men are FAR more skilled, & therefore the men are NOT being subjected to the systematic/agenda-driven attacks re skill the AFLW players are.
I have never suggested AFLW games be played in evenings to replace AFL games.

Last edited:

"PRIME viewing times" is self explanatory -& attracts top advertising $ for a good reason.
It is ok if AFLW mid week summer evening games show on channels other than FTA main channel.

Mid week AFL games in Melb. (& I think a Th. game at AO?) in early evening in winter (when it is dark, often cold, & miserable cf glorious balmy summer evenings) have had NUMEROUS very large crowds. The time slot is definitely viable for good (ie 5- 10,000) summer AFLW crowds. Re school kids, might be a need to experiment with 6, 6.30, & 7 pm starts -to determine which gets the biggest crowds. I concede it may not be suitable for children under 10.
I've been to evening AFLW games -its a carnival atmosphere, fantastic. Perhaps we can agree to disagree on summer evening crowd nos. cf Fri. 3-5pm;& sat./Sun. games between 10-6 pm

AFLW players are NOT faced with the same difficulties the men do during the (summer) day time -the men are FAR more skilled, & therefore the men are NOT being subjected to the systematic/agenda-driven attacks re skill the AFLW players are.
I have never suggested AFLW games be played in evenings to replace AFL games.

no but AFLW players are burdened with ACTUAL JOBS. You ever tried to get home from work in peak hour and then play football? AFL men live and breathe the game. The women dont...yet.

no but AFLW players are burdened with ACTUAL JOBS. You ever tried to get home from work in peak hour and then play football? AFL men live and breathe the game. The women dont...yet.
A very good point, never considered this...uummm.
Unfortunately, I am very familiar with the horrors of Melb. peak hour traffic! It is certainly not ideal for players to be stressed out in gridlock traffic, getting to a game.
Fri. is certainly the worst night for traffic in Melb. AFL players, who obviously don't have a conflicting job, manage to arrive unstressed to the normal Melb. Fri. night game, I assume.

I assume peak hour gridlock is not such a big problem, cf. Melb., in Adelaide, Perth, & Brisbane?

Perhaps Melb. AFLW games should not commence before 7 or 7.30 in summer.

I still think it is very unfair for AFLW players to be expected to perform skilfully at their optimum level in stifling heat/humidity -it's simply impossible.
Those opposed to the AFLW (and often their opposition is based PRIMARILY on a desire to reduce the popularity of, & strategically weaken, AF) will gleefully highlight skill errors. By playing in strong heat & humidity, ample opportunity is unwisely & unnecessarily being provided to denigrate the AFLW.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back