Head butting. Crime is the butt, not the force surely

Remove this Banner Ad

Glenhope

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thought head-butts, spitting and kicking were 3 things you couldn't do at all on a football field. The crime is the action not the force. Seems a new standard has been set by the MRP. If I spit on someone I'll just argue insufficient force.

I thought head-butts, spitting and kicking were 3 things you couldn't do at all on a football field. The crime is the action not the force. Seems a new standard has been set by the MRP. If I spit on someone I'll just argue insufficient force.

Dog act, under the old system he'd have gotten one week down to zero, but gotten some carry over points for his next dumb offense.

New MRP is softer than wet lettuce

Easy mate the kid has Scottish grandparents

Don't see why head butting is a dog act and punching isn't. So if a punch relies on force so should a head butt. Plus a lot of jumper punches would have more force than the Greene headbutt I reckon, it's all dog imo because none of it is footy.

Umpire was right there and thought it worthy of report. AFL constantly tells us how hard it is to umpire, how we should respect them, how we shouldn't undermine them... next minute what do the AFL do?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if the MRP will add some mayo on to this weeks strike to make up for letting him off scot free the last 2 weeks.

In fact there might even be some egg on face for the MRP considering he's obviously exploiting their absolute gutlessness.
Everyone's calling him a sniper, thug, etc, but if he keeps getting away with it why wouldn't he keep doing it?

"Insufficient force" is such a "get out of jail because I don't want this guy suspended" card.
It should all be about intent, not impact.

Did you try to hit this guy in the head behind the olay? Yes - 10 weeks
Did you miss and get him in the shoulder? Yes - 10 weeks
Did you try to bump to sheppard the player in the contest? Yes - no charge.
Did you miss and get him in the head because you are Aaron Sandilands and he is Caleb Daniel? Yes - no charge. That's a contact sport

Wonder if the MRP will add some mayo on to this weeks strike to make up for letting him off scot free the last 2 weeks.

In fact there might even be some egg on face for the MRP considering he's obviously exploiting their absolute gutlessness.
Everyone's calling him a sniper, thug, etc, but if he keeps getting away with it why wouldn't he keep doing it?

That is exactly what they did.

If he hadnt had a couple of previous fines, does anyone believe this headbutt would have been cleared?

It was blatantly obvious that the fine it deserved would have led to a week, and they didnt want to give him a week.

The only question is whether it was under direction from the AFL because Green will have been on quite a few Brownlow votes at that point.

Frustrating thing is that the AFL would everytime deny it.
Would be interesting if a GWS player gets reported in this year's finals.
Could be another Barry Hall 2005 scenario.

They ignored a jumper punch to Picken directly in front of an umpire which hit him in the face hard enough to cause his jaw to visibly ripple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back