Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2017 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought Balta possibly had his best game against GWV yesterday for the season in what's been a very slow start, think his time spent in ruck is probably a result of lack of alternative than anything else. I reckon he isn't a natural forward and would like to see him at CHB. Cudos to the VM selectors in their choice of the remaining top age Cannons in Balta, Landt and Podhajski. Landt made relentless options all day and frankly got burnt by a team who lack footy smarts and the ability to turn their heads, Podhajski worked tirelessly in what was an avalanche in the back line. Good to see that some can see the potential of players to play at a higher level surrounded by footy smarts!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really didn't like seeing Balta in the ruck. While Calder lack options and Balta is clearly the least bad, they're losing so much not having him forward.

I can't agree with him going back. I'll agree it's something he can absolutely do, and he can break the lines in the way a Sam Frost or Will Schofield can. But why play Lance Franklin back when he's so special up forward? Balta isn't quite that but he feels closer for me to Franklin than say Jesse White who is another playing that same gamestyle as that super athletic forward. He's a freak at ground level, capable overhead and looks so at ease with ball in hand.
For me he's the most natural key forward in this draft and potentially possessing the greatest upside by position if he gets the continuity as a permanent forward. He's non-traditional having that Franklin-like flanker feel, looking adept up the field also. I just can't help but remain really high on what I see.

Knightmare - last year we had a robust discussion concerning Burton, when you didn't have him as part of your top 20 players from the 2015 draft. Just wondering what your position on this is now?

My projections of Burton are certainly increasing and around 15 is where I'd have him from the 2015 group on career projection with 10 a best case scenario.

Weitering, Schache, Mills, Oliver, Parish, Hopper, Kennedy and Hipwood are much better talents and should be better with opportunities/correct development/a good run of health.

Burton is in that next tier down.

From a list perspective, Burton looks like he'll be a best 15 player on the clubs list, maybe top 10 if things go right which will be good but he's no gamechanger. Just a good piece/high level role player. Forward or back.

Hey Knightmare

For me Tom Atkins will be a huge Bolter way too good for Geelong VFL, bossing the midfield and can kick as well, although the mighty Cats will get snare him I reckon
For me he the mature age recruit to look out for
Have him going Late Second Round/early third round

Did you forget your comment Newatthis?
Thanks for the heads up, it got included in the original quote. It was.

Balta is the best ruck option the Cannons have besides Hanna. It also seems they have selected to do well next year and not this. Balta is not the only one being played out of position. Why do you have a boy that kicked almost 50 goals last year in 18's, reserves and senior grades for his club side playing in defence? Maybe they need his speed and tackling to help shut down the small forwards. Yes I am talking about Brookes. Speed, yes he has been timed at 2.70 over 20 meters.

Last edited:

@Newatthis

As a junior footy watcher my interest is watching those draft relevant players play in their best position.

Seeing Balta play through the ruck does not achieve that objective. It's not inconceivable that he could be the number one overall choice this year if used as a key forward. He's a hell of a talent. Arguably more talented than anyone else in this draft. If he plays through the ruck most of the season though, he may not go inside the first round.

I'd play a flanker through the ruck if it was required to allow Balta to play forward (in the absense of Hanna). You gain value by playing your best players where they're best, and building that continuity will maximise outcomes.

I'd be fine playing a mobile flanker or tall midfielder through the ruck instead of Balta. Lose the ruck contests, have the mids reading the opposition ruckman's hitouts and get the advantage around the ground with the extra mid.

Having Hanna rucking is optimal but failing his availability, I'd have no fear playing a small and giving the other team something to think about that they're not used to facing.

Thoughts on adam sambono? 20yr who's always kicking goals in the neafl for NTThunder

Has had a couple of big games for NT Thunder with 6 and 4 goals in his two better games so far.

Will have to start tracking him. Yet to see him play but sounds like a promising talent, reading up on him.

Hey Knightmare

For me Tom Atkins will be a huge Bolter way too good for Geelong VFL, bossing the midfield and can kick as well, although the mighty Cats will get snare him I reckon
For me he the mature age recruit to look out for
Have him going Late Second Round/early third round

He was on the radar late last season and was seen as possibly in the mix.

Geelong draft out of their VFL side. Would not be surprised if Atkins was another they add late/rookie.

My projections of Burton are certainly increasing and around 15 is where I'd have him from the 2015 group on career projection with 10 a best case scenario.

Weitering, Schache, Mills, Oliver, Parish, Hopper, Kennedy and Hipwood are much better talents and should be better with opportunities/correct development/a good run of health.

From a list perspective, Burton looks like he'll be a best 15 player on the clubs list, maybe top 10 if things go right which will be good but he's no gamechanger. Just a good piece/high level role player. Forward or back.

Burton is playing the Mills role for Hawthorn, and is doing it better than Mills is at the moment. Which is pretty impressive for a kid who has played all of 10 games in 3 years due to a horrific injury. I agree there is a lot of a talent in this draft, Oliver was awesome last night, but from what I've observed of Burton this season is he'll be a best 5 player on a list and is probably leading the race for this year's rising star award - everything he's doing this year is outstripping what Mills did last year when he won it.

I really didn't like seeing Balta in the ruck. While Calder lack options and Balta is clearly the least bad, they're losing so much not having him forward.

I can't agree with him going back. I'll agree it's something he can absolutely do, and he can break the lines in the way a Sam Frost or Will Schofield can. But why play Lance Franklin back when he's so special up forward? Balta isn't quite that but he feels closer for me to Franklin than say Jesse White who is another playing that same gamestyle as that super athletic forward. He's a freak at ground level, capable overhead and looks so at ease with ball in hand.
For me he's the most natural key forward in this draft and potentially possessing the greatest upside by position if he gets the continuity as a permanent forward. He's non-traditional having that Franklin-like flanker feel, looking adept up the field also. I just can't help but remain really high on what I see.

@Newatthis

As a junior footy watcher my interest is watching those draft relevant players play in their best position.

Seeing Balta play through the ruck does not achieve that objective. It's not inconceivable that he could be the number one overall choice this year if used as a key forward. He's a hell of a talent. Arguably more talented than anyone else in this draft. If he plays through the ruck most of the season though, he may not go inside the first round.

I'd play a flanker through the ruck if it was required to allow Balta to play forward (in the absense of Hanna). You gain value by playing your best players where they're best, and building that continuity will maximise outcomes.

I'd be fine playing a mobile flanker or tall midfielder through the ruck instead of Balta. Lose the ruck contests, have the mids reading the opposition ruckman's hitouts and get the advantage around the ground with the extra mid.

Having Hanna rucking is optimal but failing his availability, I'd have no fear playing a small and giving the other team something to think about that they're not used to facing.

KM, I totally agree with you. Boys play better in the positions they are best in.
Cannons can't afford to have Balta and Hanna up forward. I also agree they are better off having another mobile mid. I know you guys don't rate Brookes but I think he could fulfill that role. He is quick, has a running verticle leap of 99 cm (taken off last years testing).
Cannons forwards, mids and wings are letting the ball out too easily. Good at running forward, not so good in running back in defence.
Balta has never played as a forward for his club so he needs to learn how and where to run.

Burton is playing the Mills role for Hawthorn, and is doing it better than Mills is at the moment. Which is pretty impressive for a kid who has played all of 10 games in 3 years due to a horrific injury. I agree there is a lot of a talent in this draft, Oliver was awesome last night, but from what I've observed of Burton this season is he'll be a best 5 player on a list and is probably leading the race for this year's rising star award - everything he's doing this year is outstripping what Mills did last year when he won it.
Yeah no bias here.

Or a move to Adelaide to play with his brother.

He knows he's especially wanted by the Crows, too

Both Himmelberg brothers want to move to Brisbane to be close to their family. ;)
Their chances of playing in 1s are higher in developing side like Brisbane compared to say Adelaide - makes it far more attractive move.

Both Himmelberg brothers want to move to Brisbane to be close to their family. ;)
Their chances of playing in 1s are higher in developing side like Brisbane compared to say Adelaide - makes it far more attractive move.
Shame they might be waiting 10 years to replace Hipwood, Schache, Ballenden, McStay, Andrews and Gardiner ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me say that my son is not shallow to be writing about himself. As for me, I go and watch him play the game because I enjoy it and hope that he does well. Is he good enough to get drafted, that is not something I will comment on. I will leave that to the experts, which I am certainly not.

I met a bloke at a game a few weeks ago who asked me a few questions about him and the other boys from EDS. Yes I am proud of and happy to talk about my son. What I do ask now, is that enough has been said so let it go. Just let the boy play and enjoy the game.

Let me say that my son is not shallow to be writing about himself. As for me, I go and watch him play the game because I enjoy it and hope that he does well. Is he good enough to get drafted, that is not something I will comment on. I will leave that to the experts, which I am certainly not.

I met a bloke at a game a few weeks ago who asked me a few questions about him and the other boys from EDS. Yes I am proud of and happy to talk about my son. What I do ask now, is that enough has been said so let it go. Just let the boy play and enjoy the game.

Thats good enough for me ..well said

Fair enough. I will watch on and won't make more comment on him.

Hey KM

What can you tell me about GWS boys, Shipley, Powell, highmore, Owen-auburn, Richards and Myers?

Also what rounds do you expect bids to be made on each?

Can't have watched any Dons games then because Andrew McGrath is absolutely killing it and would be odds on with the bookies. You need to take them Hawks blinkers off mate.

A
Can't have watched any Dons games then because Andrew McGrath is absolutely killing it and would be odds on with the bookies. You need to take them Hawks blinkers off mate.
Agree - kid looks like he has been playing for 10 years.

It's really easy to check betting odds. McGrath is $4.50 equal fav with SPP.

McGrath is going great, I had my doubts when we drafted him and passed on a few others. Nothing worse than having an early high draft pick and not knowing if they will turn into something. Saints fans must be worried atm!

Hi KM, Ive been watching Cassidy Parish since I live in Geelong. I think he can win the hardball and has an uncanny way of finding the ball around the ground like Barlow done during his Freo days. But Im concerned about his negatives. His field kicking is not the best. His pace is concerning and can he be too big to be a midfielder, he still might grow even more still! I've stood next too him a few times now and im 192cm and im sure he is more 194cm or more. Thats a big lump of a lad! So looking at other roles on the field I dont think he could go hbf due to his kicking and not sure he has the body type that could fill out to be key position. Do you think he could be this years Matheison and slide? I have him pegged as a late 2nd rounder at best.

Cheers KM

P.S

Adrian Dodoro said Essendons priority is filling the HBF / Midfielder in this years draft or via trade. Would you agree with this considering how our list sits.

Stanton
Kelly
Zaharakis
Gleeson
McNiece
Mckenna
Dea
Baguely
Kobe Mutch
Jackson Merrett
Morgan

Last edited: