worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
For all cricket book collectors out there, what are your most frequent sources?

I have for many decades received Roger Page’s catalogue. He is Australia’s major cricket book dealer, based in Yallambie, Victoria. Recently though, when trying to access his website, rpcricketbooks.com, there is an “Account Suspended” message being displayed. Do any other subscribers to Roger know what the issue is here?

Over the years I have also regularly received a catalogue from Moran Cricket Collectibles. This is a family run cricket collectibles business, not just for cricket books, but also badges, cards, autographed memorabilia, posters, even cricket crockery products. Based in Gunnedah, New South Wales, their website is https://morancricket.com/

As for second-hand bookshops which have vast cricket book collections, a very good one which I have visited twice is Pickwicks, in the Perth suburb of Kalamunda. They have one entire room devoted to cricket books. Last time I was able to visit WA, in 2009; I browsed through this store for two hours in the cricket room. At one point, I had been in there for so long, the shop owner went outside to have a cigarette, obviously forgot I was in the store, and locked me in. No drama, I could still get out, but when I went to the front counter to ask a question, I could see him through the window with his smoke. Lots of old WA cricket yearbooks at this place, many from the 1990s with pictures of Shaun Micallef on the inside covers as part of some ad. Kalamunda is a long way from Perth CBD but there is a bus within walking distance to take you back.

Adelaide Booksellers also have a good range of cricket books, many from years gone by. Haven’t been in there since 2009, but always enjoy a browse and have bought a few books there. They have an upstairs store in the Rundle Mall.

Also in Adelaide, Michael Treloar has a good range, but being an antiquarian bookseller, their prices can tend to be on the more expensive side. That is not to say they do not provide good service, but if you want to buy from there, take a little bit more cash than usual. They are situated at 196 North Terrace, so they are central to the CBD, and their website is www.treloars.com

I have also been to Barwon Books in Geelong. I have bought half a dozen cheap Wisdens there, from the late 1990s and early 2000s. They were half priced due to minor damage, and I mean very minor, such as small creases which I wouldn’t have noticed unless the shop owner had pointed them out to me.

Another store with a vast range is Mark’s Book Barn in the Sydney suburb of Earlwood. You will need to catch a bus out there, but at least you won’t have to deal with myki. I had a good browse through their books when I visited in 2013, but ended up buying a Woodville Football Club book instead.

So what other book stores or websites do people use to enhance their cricket book collections?

So, is it just me who goes cricket book hunting? Constantly embarking on the cricket book safari for publications rare and hard to find? Willingly throwing away my hard earned hundreds of dollars for a precious find?

Well for the record, these are the cheapest Wisdens I have purchased.

price | edition | purchased from
\$6.00|2004|Book Talk (Richmond)
\$6.00|2013|The Book Grocer (Kangaroo Flat)
\$10.00|2014|The Book Grocer (Bendigo)
\$12.95|1996|Angus and Robertson (Brisbane)
\$20.00|1989|Barwon Books (Geelong)

Last edited:

So, is it just me who goes cricket book hunting? Constantly embarking on the cricket book safari for publications rare and hard to find? Willingly throwing away my hard earned hundreds of dollars for a precious find?

Well for the record, these are the cheapest Wisdens I have purchased.

price | edition | purchased from
\$6.00|2004|Book Talk (Richmond)
\$6.00|2013|The Book Grocer (Kangaroo Flat)
\$10.00|2014|The Book Grocer (Bendigo)
\$12.95|1996|Angus and Robertson (Brisbane)
\$20.00|1989|Barwon Books (Geelong)

I'm a povo student so I can't go hunting for much.

Those prices look great though.

Ken Piesse has a great website, cricketbooks.com.au. In Adelaide, the Oxfam Bookshop at the bottom of Hutt Street has a good range, and is very well priced, I got Wisden on Bradman, and firsts of Rosenwater's Bradman biography, and Fingleton's Batting from Memory for $11 this week.

Good mentions. I have been to the Oxfam Bookshop a few times. Bought a Pot Black Annual there for one dollar in 2009.

Good mentions. I have been to the Oxfam Bookshop a few times. Bought a Pot Black Annual there for one dollar in 2009.
I'd also suggest now is a really good time to be buying, prices in the last year or so have really dropped. I'm three ABC Cricket books, 34, 38, and 56 off a full run, and now is as good a time as it's been in while to have a good bash at them should they come onto the market, which is rarely these days.

I'd also suggest now is a really good time to be buying, prices in the last year or so have really dropped. I'm three ABC Cricket books, 34, 38, and 56 off a full run, and now is as good a time as it's been in while to have a good bash at them should they come onto the market, which is rarely these days.

Congrats on the approaching full set ! I have owned all but 34 and 38 in the past but due to a job loss in 2004 I basically sold them all up til 1961 :( The past few years I have been interested in replacing them but they no longer come cheap (compared to 15 years ago). Luckily I picked up an unblemished 48 in a bookshop in Warrnambool a few years ago for $45 ! 34 and 38 occasionally appear on Ebay but they go for $300 + !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly the ABC also published a VFL book in 1934, but didn't continue on with it's publication so they're not particularly collectable. It broke my heart when Abbott's budget cuts meant an eighty year tradition was broken, and it wasn't published for the 2015 Ashes. I thought conservatives respected institutions.

Congrats on the approaching full set ! I have owned all but 34 and 38 in the past but due to a job loss in 2004 I basically sold them all up til 1961 :( The past few years I have been interested in replacing them but they no longer come cheap (compared to 15 years ago). Luckily I picked up an unblemished 48 in a bookshop in Warrnambool a few years ago for $45 ! 34 and 38 occasionally appear on Ebay but they go for $300 + !
I bought a near mint 1934 for $80 just before Christmas, and I'm currently bidding on a 1938 to complete my run.

Fine effort, that ! (as Richie would say). Great price on the '34. '38's seems to be rarer so I hope you get that also.
I'm happy to pay whatever to be honest. This copy looks in good clean shape, and considering what I paid for the '34, if I have to pay overs for this so be it. Recently I also got a copy of the 74/75 signed by McGilvray.

MCC library has a decent collection. You can't buy them of course though so I'm not sure why I posted this.

Whilst you can't buy their books, the MCC library (inside the MCG) is a great place to have a browse. If you are not a member (like me) you need to make a booking on any non match day and they will let you come up and look through the cricket books and magazines from Australia and around the world. They also have footy, soccer, tennis, golf, Olympics, horse racing and a few other sports books. They will even help people with personal research projects if you e-mail them with questions, and they will assist children with any sports related school work. Their is an MCC website which has all contact details. I usually send an e-mail whenever I want to visit and state what day and time I will arrive. If they are not going to be open on that day for some reason, they will tell you and so it is good to have a backup date.

I'm about half way through it, and Gideon Haigh's book on Trumper is brilliant.
Ashley Mallett's book on Trumper is a pretty good read. You should try to get (if you haven't already got it) Cardwell's book on Trumper. Cardwell also wrote a great book on the little dasher Harry Graham. I also really enjoyed Frith's book on Archie Jackson.

Whilst you can't buy their books, the MCC library (inside the MCG) is a great place to have a browse. If you are not a member (like me) you need to make a booking on any non match day and they will let you come up and look through the cricket books and magazines from Australia and around the world. They also have footy, soccer, tennis, golf, Olympics, horse racing and a few other sports books. They will even help people with personal research projects if you e-mail them with questions, and they will assist children with any sports related school work. Their is an MCC website which has all contact details. I usually send an e-mail whenever I want to visit and state what day and time I will arrive. If they are not going to be open on that day for some reason, they will tell you and so it is good to have a backup date.

I'd never seen this thread before. Man I'm glad I did after reading this post.

I didn't know us pleb non-members could visit the library. That sounds cooler than the museum tour at the G.

I'd never seen this thread before. Man I'm glad I did after reading this post.

I didn't know us pleb non-members could visit the library. That sounds cooler than the museum tour at the G.

I've been sitting in the library a few times when a tour group has come into the library. The guide tells them a bit about the library but they only stay in for about 3-4 minutes. I suppose there is so much else to see on the tour. So if you do want to browse through the library, it is best to set aside a day for it. The e-mail address to request a visit is library@mcc.org.au.
You can always request to come back the next day if one day isn't enough, and you can ask the workers or volunteers to help you find any books.

I've been sitting in the library a few times when a tour group has come into the library. The guide tells them a bit about the library but they only stay in for about 3-4 minutes. I suppose there is so much else to see on the tour. So if you do want to browse through the library, it is best to set aside a day for it. The e-mail address to request a visit is library@mcc.org.au.
You can always request to come back the next day if one day isn't enough, and you can ask the workers or volunteers to help you find any books.

Thanks mate - this is definitely something I'd be keen to do next time I have a day off work.

The only thing that makes me hesitate slightly is the knowledge that I'm going to find books that I never even knew I wanted, and I'm probably going to end up spending inordinate hours and money on trying to find them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back