Debut Round 16 Vs Collingwood 2016
Games 7
Goals

Player honours: 2013 Alan Stewart Medal

Draft History: 2013 AFL National Draft pick 31

Last edited:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/malcolm-karpany

The inside word

Karpany won the Alan Stewart Medal as best player in Woodville-West Torrens' SANFL under-18 Grand Final triumph last month; the performance entrenching him in many minds as a top-30 pick. He finished with 29 disposals, nine marks, seven inside-50 entries and two goals in a standout display. A classy midfielder who can also push forward, he has a penetrating left foot and elite recovery, plus agility which allows him to side-step through traffic. Good mark for his size and has clean hands.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/malcolm-karpany

The inside word

Karpany won the Alan Stewart Medal as best player in Woodville-West Torrens' SANFL under-18 Grand Final triumph last month; the performance entrenching him in many minds as a top-30 pick. He finished with 29 disposals, nine marks, seven inside-50 entries and two goals in a standout display. A classy midfielder who can also push forward, he has a penetrating left foot and elite recovery, plus agility which allows him to side-step through traffic. Good mark for his size and has clean hands.

Love your work Kane :)

Report from TOA. yesterday 18/3/14:

It was nice to see the draftees all take part. Comments below:
Karpany is a really good size, very strong legs. Very powerful. I have liked the look of him since I saw the highlights footage. Would appear to be a HFF at the time being. Took part in most of the session along with Main and Sheed.

Let's hope that Karps gets a few games later this season.

It will probibly take Karpany a little more time to develop but this year i hope he can play some outstanding games for East Perth and have impact in the midfield. I rather him up the ground in and around the contest using his speed and agility playing a midfield or wing role. The small forward position can just be rotated through Karpany, Cripps, Lecras and Newman depending on who is playing as all these guys have the ability and like to play midfield.

AFL.com.au has done a piece on who is set to be a surprise packet at each club. Here's our entry:

WEST COAST
Malcolm Karpany
Recruited from Woodville-West Torrens, 176cm, 74kg, yet to debut

The small midfielder/forward was recruited with pick 31 in the 2013 NAB AFL draft and although he only played six WAFL league matches and nine WAFL reserves matches last year there is talk he could be one to watch in 2015. He suffered some injury issues before he was drafted and required a shoulder operation last year. But he possesses electric pace and agility in traffic and is very skillful. He would be the perfect fit in the Eagles' forward line to compliment the tall targets. Alex Malcolm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-03/get-to-know

Karpany a sneaky chance to debut this week after flying to Melbourne.

If he does, he'll be the 229th Eagles player, the first Malcolm, the first from Moonta (I think it's safe to assume), and just the fourth player to appear in the number 39 (after Hunter, Waterman and Heady) and the first since Hunter retired all the way back in 2009.

Karpany a sneaky chance to debut this week after flying to Melbourne.

If he does, he'll be the 229th Eagles player, the first Malcolm, the first from Moonta (I think it's safe to assume), and just the fourth player to appear in the number 39 (after Hunter, Waterman and Heady) and the first since Hunter retired all the way back in 2009.
Pretty good players who have worn that number in the past. No pressure then.

Named for JLT match 1. Time to stop flying under the radar.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-16/jlt-all-the-round-one-teams

WEST COAST
4. Dom Sheed, 5. Brad Sheppard, 6. Elliot Yeo, 7. Chris Masten, 8. Jack Redden, 10. Tom Lamb, 12. Sharrod Wellingham, 15. Jamie Cripps, 16. Eric Mackenzie, 19. Nathan Vardy, 23. Lewis Jetta, 24. Luke Partington, 28. Tom Cole, 30. Jackson Nelson, 31. Will Schofield, 33. Josh Hill, 34. Mark Hutchings, 35. Josh Rotham, 36. Fraser McInnes, 37. Tom Barrass, 38. Kurt Mutimer, 39. Malcom Karpany, 40. Tom Gorter, 41. Jordan Snadden, 42. Tarir Bayok, 43. Matthew Allen, 45. Jake Waterman, 46. Paddy Brophy, 47. Francis Watson

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-16/jlt-all-the-round-one-teams

Malcolm has been named in the 25 for our Round 5 Sunday game vs Hawthorn. This is not a drill. I repeat this is not a drill.

Best case scenario: We're giving Lewis Jetta something to think about by picking our only other player who is sort of similar to him, and Karpany will come into the 22 for someone who has an undisclosed niggle as we need his pace and class at the G.

Likely scenario: We're taking Karpany over as the travelling emergency for the experience like we did with Mutimer (at least I vaguely recall we did that...could be wrong).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The likely scenario has come to pass, with Sheed a late in for Giles, leaving Karps to soak up the experience of being in a travelling team at the G.

Hope this motivates him to finally evolve into an AFL footballer.

Here is an artists rendition of Malcolm enjoying the game from the sidelines:

f975eb7aea4f47eaea519d0e7acdbacd.gif

Doesn't bode well for Mal that Simmo was asked post-match about who could come in, and couldn't think of his name even though he was with the team in Melbourne.

As Mal's sponsor I prefer to think that Simmo was so affected by crushing despair that he just threw out some random names before going off to have a good cry.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2017-04-26/injuries-to-test-depth

“(Malcolm) Karpany was our traveller at the weekend. Tom Cole is coming through at East Perth as well. There is still a little bit of depth to work with there. We’ve got coverage.”

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2017-04-26/injuries-to-test-depth

Woo...actually got a mention from the coach. Cripps is probably the guy that needed to get injured to give Mal a realistic shot at getting into the team. Nice to get a little confirmation that he's actually on the radar.

Mal named again as Emergency for round 7. All emergencies to travel, with Vardy and Duggan having fitness tests.

I'm hoping Hutchings is cover for our slower mids, with Mutimer to take Duggan's role and Karpany to take Mutimer's should Duggan not come up.

Long shot as he's probably just getting to travel to see family. I expect to see Hutchings in for Duggan if Duggan doesn't come up because that's how we roll.

As expected, Karpany was not a late in despite Duggan being a late out. Hutchings got the nod, which is fair on WAFL form, and actually a plus for Karps as far as the fans go, because Hutchings didn't contribute that much and people are steadily calling for Malcolm to get a game.

The groundswell of support should see him crack his first game for the year soon as long as he doesn't get injured or play some complete shockers in the WAFL.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-16/in-the-mix-whos-a-chance-for-round-nine-selection

The Eagles' injury list is dwindling and, for the first time since breaking his hand in round one, Drew Petrie could be back in action this weekend. The veteran might be forced to return via East Perth given Fraser McInnes' impressive effort playing forward-ruck against the Western Bulldogs, however pressure forward Jamie Cripps is almost certain to walk straight back into the 22 if his rapid recovery from a nasty ankle injury is given the all-clear ahead of the clash with Essendon. Dashing young defender Jackson Nelson could also make his comeback from a broken wrist. Mark Hutchings responded well to being dropped by helping himself to 31 touches and laying 10 tackles in East Perth's rout of East Fremantle, while Malcolm Karpany kept his name in the mix with two goals from 19 touches. - Travis King

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-16/in-the-mix-whos-a-chance-for-round-nine-selection

Lots of good Eagle performance in the weekend WAFL drubbing, but it's still nice to see Travis King recognize Karpany as being close to selection, even if it's not an accurate reflection on real life.

Karpany named on the extended bench again for Round 10. I have a good feeling about his chances this time with Mutimer and Barrass going out. I feel we're trying to give our kids a chance 1 or 2 at a time because we're not convinced our best 22 has what it takes, and Karpany has now been an emergency twice this season and his WAFL form has been decent.

I'd be more confident if Jetta hadn't also been picked, as I don't like the odds of both of them making the same team.

Aside from the loss I thought that went quite well. Looks like he belongs at this level when he's involved in the play. Performed 2 dinks around opponents and snapped a goal in the first. Bad miss in the last but we scored off the kick out so not as bad as it could be. Looked completely stuffed after a couple of really long chases, but that meant he was working hard. From memory his stats were 7 kicks, 4 handballs, 3 tackles and 1.1

Hope he gets another game next week as he adds something to the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back