Should Melbourne Bid For The 2028 Games

• Yes

Votes: 79 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 48 37.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What a joke
I can't speak to the other regions involved but having previously worked in tourism development in Shepparton for a number of years they do have a highly developed events market hosting national quality events (including national championships) in a number of sports including regularly hostingcycling, bmx, bowls, triathlon, half ironman.

I know most city slickers (including politicians) can't see beyond their concrete jungles but the regional areas in Victoria have a lot to offer. Just because it's different doesn't make it bad.

If they can convince the Victorian and federal governments to pay for it all, it might actually happen. Not many places really trying for the Commonwealth Games.

I can't speak to the other regions involved but having previously worked in tourism development in Shepparton for a number of years they do have a highly developed events market hosting national quality events (including national championships) in a number of sports including regularly hostingcycling, bmx, bowls, triathlon, half ironman.

I know most city slickers (including politicians) can't see beyond their concrete jungles but the regional areas in Victoria have a lot to offer. Just because it's different doesn't make it bad.

The last Commonwealth Games held in Melbourne they had some events in regional areas, Bendigo had the shooting for example. If it works for the regional areas go for it. I can see why Melbourne as such wouldn't want to hoist it again as it is not long since the last time. For all it's pros it's very disruptive to traffic, other sports events etc. so I can see why no place would want to do it too frequently. The fact that they are struggling to get nominations though is telling.

Last edited:

It is a terrible idea, why waste money building a 40k seat stadium in a town of 30k makes ******* sense. You have hosted D grade events you mention bowls FFS

It is a terrible idea, why waste money building a 40k seat stadium in a town of 30k makes ******* sense. You have hosted D grade events you mention bowls FFS
I would just like to point out Bendigo, Ballarat & Geelong are around or over 100k in population. The Greater Shepparton region has over 60k (Not to mention another 45k in the neighbouring Moira & Benella shire regions which are no farther away than east to west Melbourne). The Mildura region is over 50k, Albury/Wodonga over 80k etc. There is in fact there is approx 1.5 million people in regional Victoria all of which would be within 1 hour of at least one of the proposed participating regional centres.

Also international and national events (including the Australian Bowls Championships) are never "D grade" as you put it.

Like I said just because it is different doesn't make it bad.

Instead of spending a couple of billion dollars on a white elephant, how about developing a fast train project that will make regional centres accessible and allow families to be able to live in regional areas and work in the city and only spend 30 minutes on the train.. We desperately need to upgrade our antiquated transport system and provide people with the opportunity of owning their own property.

Instead of spending a couple of billion dollars on a white elephant, how about developing a fast train project that will make regional centres accessible and allow families to be able to live in regional areas and work in the city and only spend 30 minutes on the train.. We desperately need to upgrade our antiquated transport system and provide people with the opportunity of owning their own property.
Australia has always lacked forward direction when it comes to rail transport. Too much bureaucracy and doesn't look like changing anytime soon. It's a shame really, even America is building fast rail...

I don't think that Melbourne or Australia for that matter should bid again for a long, long time. Even with its existing facilities Melbourne would still need to spend billions upgrading and building venues for a one-off party for 15,000 freeloaders. Then there's the security bill, and the fact the billions would largely be spent around the inner city at the expense of the outer suburbs and regional areas where infrastructure is already struggling and not keeping pace with Melbourne’s growth. Melbourne, quite frankly has so many other things that it desperately needs to spend $5 billion on in order to cope with its growing population today, not to mention the fact that its population will top 6 million by 2030. An Olympic Games would be an absolute folly. For Melbourne to host an Olympic Games would be like not paying your rent but instead putting on a street party for your neighbors.

Last edited:
I don't think that Melbourne or Australia for that matter should bid again for a long, long time. Even with its existing facilities Melbourne would still need to spend billions upgrading and building venues for a one-off party for 15,000 freeloaders. Then there's the security bill, and the fact the billions would largely be spent around the inner city at the expense of the outer suburbs and regional areas where infrastructure is already struggling and not keeping pace with Melbourne’s growth. Melbourne, quite frankly has so many other things that it desperately needs to spend $5 billion on in order to cope with its growing population today, not to mention the fact that its population will top 6 million by 2030. An Olympic Games would be an absolute frevolity.

Yeah it always sounds a bit scroogish, but the last 10-15 years Melbourne's growth in population has so far outstripped the growth in infrastructure its not funny. We are starting to catch up a bit, but yeah need to put our heads down and get our s**t together a bit first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it always sounds a bit scroogish, but the last 10-15 years Melbourne's growth in population has so far outstripped the growth in infrastructure its not funny. We are starting to catch up a bit, but yeah need to put our heads down and get our s**t together a bit first.
At least the State Government have announced that they have started the process for what will eventually become a $10 billion project to build the freeway link from the Ring Road through to the Eastlink. That will not be cheap, but it will be a vital bit of infrastructure (needed now but will desperately be needed in 10 years time when its finished). They've already committed $11 billion to building the new rail tunnels and there's the link being built from the Tullamarine Freeway to the west of the Westgate Freeway. There is a lot of money tied up in these projects and the government are still yet to announce future major funding for the MCG (upwards of $400 million), Etihad Stadium ($350 million), Simonds Stadium ($40 million to replace the Ford Stand) and Eureka Stadium ($11 million for Stage 2).

I think that that is the underlying idea behind the bid. It is to fast track spending on broader statewide infrastructure to push more toward decentralisation away from Melbourne. If Melbourne keeps growing at its current pace it will neither be livable, nor workable in 50 years from now. It makes sense to push growth away from the metropolitan hub and into the regions in order to sustain affordability of living and the livability of Melbourne for future generations.

I think that that is the underlying idea behind the bid. It is to fast track spending on broader statewide infrastructure to push more toward decentralisation away from Melbourne. If Melbourne keeps growing at its current pace it will neither be livable, nor workable in 50 years from now. It makes sense to push growth away from the metropolitan hub and into the regions in order to sustain affordability of living and the livability of Melbourne for future generations.

The only way to decentralize is to ensure there is a modern and efficient public transport system. If you want people to move to the regional areas, then provide transport that will allow them to commute to and from Melbourne in 15-30 minutes so they can enjoy their lifestyle. The technology is there, unfortunately successive Govts continue to lack any vision. Still waiting for train line to the Airport. How much traffic would a train line to the Airport release? Unfortunately Dan is trying to keep Transurban happy, as well as the hoodlums that charge for parking at the airport. Most of Melbourne's roads are congested 7 days per week, and yet we build more roads and then charge tolls which are now making roads too expensive for business and commuters.The Commonwealth Games are a joke. Should not be wasting any money on this white elephant. It is a black hole that we will end up paying for five times over.

I do agree that Olympic Games are a dead waste of money, Comm Games are considerably less expensive and there are benefits to hosting those, but the real value for money is in hosting the Soccer World Cup. The Soccer World Cup only requires the host nation to have 14 stadiums capable of holding crowds 40,000 or greater. The games don't have to be hosted in one city and can be spread around the country. There is no expense other than the cost of running the stadiums. There's no expensive games village, no other potentially white elephant stadiums, you don't have to house either athletes (they only stay in 5 Star Hotels) or spectators and the Soccer World Cup definitely pulls in a bigger overseas visitor interest than the Olympics. The World Cup focuses world attention on the country and draws more tourists for a minimal investment of around $1 billion in comparison to the $5-$6 billion that it would cost to host an Olympic Games.

I do believe that Australia should actively bid for the Soccer World Cup again. A winning bid would prompt a minor upgrade of most of our larger stadiums and the expansion of four of our smaller stadiums:
  • Victoria:
    • The MCG (100,000)
    • Etihad Stadium (54,000)
    • Simonds Stadium (current capacity 32,000; to be 40,000 after Stage 5)
    • AMMI Park (current capacity 30,000; designed to be expanded to 40,000 if ever needed)
  • NSW:
    • ANZ Stadium (83,500)
    • Allianz Stadium (44,000)
    • The SCG (48,000)
    • New Parramatta Stadium (30,000)
  • QLD:
    • Suncorp Stadium (52,000)
    • The Gabba (42,000)
    • Metricon Stadium (25,000 with the ability to have 15,000 temporary seats added)
  • SA:
    • The Adelaide Oval (52,000)
  • WA:
    • Perth Stadium (60,000)
    • Subiaco (42,000)
  • ACT:
    • Canberra Stadium (25,000)

Your costings for hosting a FIFA World cup are significantly out, estimated cost is somewhere between 6 and 11 billion for the Brazil world cup, depending on the source:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.cnbc.com/amp/2014/06/11/conomics-by-the-numbers.html

There is also the confederations cup that must be hosted in the country one year before the world cup that has a cost involved. You also have to build fan zones in each of those host cities that carry significant costs, plus training venues that must be at a certain standard.

I find an Olympics much more inclusive as we have a variety of sports that can inspire a greater number of people to actively get involved in those sports.

In saying that, we should be bidding for both the FIFA World cup and another Olympics. Brisbane weather wise is at an advantage, but infrastructure wise would require a minimum of double, but closer to triple the budget of what Melbourne or Sydney would need.

We should be bidding for the next available world cup though!

Your costings for hosting a FIFA World cup are significantly out, estimated cost is somewhere between 6 and 11 billion for the Brazil world cup, depending on the source:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.cnbc.com/amp/2014/06/11/conomics-by-the-numbers.html

There is also the confederations cup that must be hosted in the country one year before the world cup that has a cost involved. You also have to build fan zones in each of those host cities that carry significant costs, plus training venues that must be at a certain standard.

I find an Olympics much more inclusive as we have a variety of sports that can inspire a greater number of people to actively get involved in those sports.

In saying that, we should be bidding for both the FIFA World cup and another Olympics. Brisbane weather wise is at an advantage, but infrastructure wise would require a minimum of double, but closer to triple the budget of what Melbourne or Sydney would need.

We should be bidding for the next available world cup though!
plus the fact the world cup is expanding to 48 teams. plus we would have to beat China. plus FIFA are corrupt bastards who take the world cup to Qatar of all places.

i believe any world cup bid should have an NZ element to it. would just make it easier for us. not going to happen due to politics.

I dont think Brisbane should host the Olympics unless it grows significantly from now till the bid in 20 years times. But the Olympics are decentralising from a host city to a host country or region to save costs it seems.

Last edited:
Mate you should volunteer for them. A fun experience. I did this in 2006. Would do it again.

I did too. I also volunteered at the Olympics in Sydney in 2000. I'd definitely volunteer at a major event again if I ever got the opportunity.

They are not proposing a 40,000 stadium for Shepparton. The Athletics and Opening and Closing Ceremonies are proposed for Geelong (Which by 2022 will have a 40,000 capacity stadium). All other events are proposed to be conducted in regional cities and towns that mostly already have world-class facilities. Benidigo's new Aquatic Centre and existing velodrome would be utilised, while Ballarat's new Indoor Sports Centre would host Netball, and Ballarat has a Badminton Centre considered second to none. Lake Nagambie is considered one of the best rowing courses in the country, Lake Mulwalla has been touted to host yachting, while shooting and archery could easily be accommodated at Puckapunyal (which has state of the art ranges) for example. There are a multitude of other facilities around regional Victoria such as Ballarat's Regional Soccer Facility which could easily be adapted to host hockey, but Shepparton I believe are looking to host that. The fields and venues are all largely in place and capable of hosting first class competition, all that is needed at many would be temporary scaffold stands to accommodate spectators. Each of Victoria's major regional cities have large indoor entertainment centres that are perfect for hosting gymnastics, weight-lifting and other arena events.

That said, the idea is by no means signed-off upon yet, and no doubt the cities and towns involved are formulating their ideas and identifying the best potential venues and suitable sports. Once their plan is finalised, they will go 'as one' to the State and Federal Governments and of course the Australian Commonwealth Games Committee to gain support. This will need to be done ideally within an eight to ten year time frame before 2030 to allow for successive governments to implement a plan to support the games.

As you say, it may turn out to be unfeasible, but at least let the key stakeholders investigate it and fully do their business case first.

They are not proposing a 40,000 stadium for Shepparton. The Athletics and Opening and Closing Ceremonies are proposed for Geelong (Which by 2022 will have a 40,000 capacity stadium). All other events are proposed to be conducted in regional cities and towns that mostly already have world-class facilities. Benidigo's new Aquatic Centre and existing velodrome would be utilised, while Ballarat's new Indoor Sports Centre would host Netball, and Ballarat has a Badminton Centre considered second to none. Lake Nagambie is considered one of the best rowing courses in the country, Lake Mulwalla has been touted to host yachting, while shooting and archery could easily be accommodated at Puckapunyal (which has state of the art ranges) for example. There are a multitude of other facilities around regional Victoria such as Ballarat's Regional Soccer Facility which could easily be adapted to host hockey, but Shepparton I believe are looking to host that. The fields and venues are all largely in place and capable of hosting first class competition, all that is needed at many would be temporary scaffold stands to accommodate spectators. Each of Victoria's major regional cities have large indoor entertainment centres that are perfect for hosting gymnastics, weight-lifting and other arena events.

That said, the idea is by no means signed-off upon yet, and no doubt the cities and towns involved are formulating their ideas and identifying the best potential venues and suitable sports. Once their plan is finalised, they will go 'as one' to the State and Federal Governments and of course the Australian Commonwealth Games Committee to gain support. This will need to be done ideally within an eight to ten year time frame before 2030 to allow for successive governments to implement a plan to support the games.

As you say, it may turn out to be unfeasible, but at least let the key stakeholders investigate it and fully do their business case first.
It will never happen Simonds Stadium while it may have a capacity of 40k the playing arena is to small. It would require the stands to be pulled down and rebuilt again when we have just paid a 100 million or so for the last redevelopment

Back