How can CA Fix the Shield Final?

How would you like the Sheffield Shield winner decided?

• If they draw, neither team wins

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It was selected as Victoria's home ground, therefore the pitch preparation was under their control. The physical location is irrelevant.

Who ****in cares...finish on top u get the advantage
images

A few people have suggested that you could just give the away side the choice of batting or bowling first.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see this introduced to ALL Shield games anyway. Currently it's being used in County Cricket in the UK.

How about teams not collapse during the year and play better. My goodness never seen a bigger whinge from a side (SA) who were lucky to even be in the final let alone winning it.

The complaint doesn't really have anything to do with the side finishing runner-up. The complaint is that a good team can go into a final with home advantage and play for a draw.

Playing for a draw is not necessarily a bad thing and achieving a draw is not necessarily a result that doesn't deserve credit. But for me, to be able to prepare a wicket that makes a draw more likely and play a form of cricket that would likely not get you to the final (since teams usually make the final by being able to secure outright wins) is not a good showcase for the competition.

It detracts from Victoria's performance over the season that they can "win" the final by playing a different brand of cricket and even have the discussion raised... I think CA absolutely needs to either fix the final or scrap it. It's a conversation that's been happening probably 9 out of 10 years for at least 2 decades not just a SA vs Victoria 2016-2017 thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The complaint doesn't really have anything to do with the side finishing runner-up. The complaint is that a good team can go into a final with home advantage and play for a draw.

Playing for a draw is not necessarily a bad thing and achieving a draw is not necessarily a result that doesn't deserve credit. But for me, to be able to prepare a wicket that makes a draw more likely and play a form of cricket that would likely not get you to the final (since teams usually make the final by being able to secure outright wins) is not a good showcase for the competition.

It detracts from Victoria's performance over the season that they can "win" the final by playing a different brand of cricket and even have the discussion raised... I think CA absolutely needs to either fix the final or scrap it. It's a conversation that's been happening probably 9 out of 10 years for at least 2 decades not just a SA vs Victoria 2016-2017 thing.

Then select more bowlers to take 20 wickets. What a whinge and a half. Victoria managed to do it in 2016 it's not impossible. Stop picking safe tie it down spinners for starters.

Where have SA been whingeing?

I note that most of the people wanting to change this are South Australians...

There is nothing wrong with the current system

I note that most of the people wanting to change this are South Australians...

There is nothing wrong with the current system

To put some numbers to the argument, the last 20 years produce approximately 75% of games with an outright result during the regular season.

In finals, even with an extra day to deliver a result, the number actually drops to 70%. That is, 10 home wins, 4 away wins and 6 draws.

It might not be a big difference, but when you consider that 4 of those 6 draws have occurred in the last 5 years then suddenly it looks like a game that's meant to be the pinnacle of first class cricket in Australia is becoming a farce.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, leave it as it is. I take the point about the boring finals of late but my understanding is that the players really like this system with a final to aim for so, since it matters little whether it attracts viewers these days, why not keep it as is if the players are happy with it.

How about teams not collapse during the year and play better. My goodness never seen a bigger whinge from a side (SA) who were lucky to even be in the final let alone winning it.

You must have missed the whinge fest the Western Australians treated us to the year before, they are winners in the whinging stakes by a country mile.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, leave it as it is. I take the point about the boring finals of late but my understanding is that the players really like this system with a final to aim for so, since it matters little whether it attracts viewers these days, why not keep it as is if the players are happy with it.

You must have missed the whinge fest the Western Australians treated us to the year before, they are winners in the whinging stakes by a country mile.

Its irrelevant and I don't care anymore but the "we should change the rules because Victoria not having a stadium is a once off sure turned out to be bullshit".

I take the point that the Shield has never meant less in the eyes of CA and vast majority of the cricketing public.

But I still see getting to watch a couple of days of Tassie's first ever Shield win (or sadly, Pura Cup win as it was then) as one of my best - if not my very best - cricket memory. (Clingeleffer, Butterworth and Hilfy for the win!)

For the few hundred die-hards that really get into this, it would be a shame to lose that opportunity by playing the final at a neutral ground.

I don't think there's a perfect solution here. If there was, I'd like to think that we'd have implemented it by now. I certainly don't think that retaining that home ground advantage while sending in another curator on a weeks notice is going to be at all workable or beneficial. So probably the closest thing to a good solution I can think of is to retain the home ground advantage, giving the away team the choice as to whether they'll bat or bowl first.

Failing that - the next best solution is probably to do away with the final altogether. Although that comes with the caveat that we need to re-look at the points system (again) and come up with something that rewards attacking cricket, but is also something that the interested public can understand.

The other thing that comes to mind is whether we can come up with some sort of an added bonus for a team that actually wins the final. But if you win the trophy, by draw or by any other means, that's all that matters right? The only bonus you can add on top of that is probably monetary, and that rewards individuals - so it's kind of the antithesis of team sport.

I take the point that the Shield has never meant less in the eyes of CA and vast majority of the cricketing public.

But I still see getting to watch a couple of days of Tassie's first ever Shield win (or sadly, Pura Cup win as it was then) as one of my best - if not my very best - cricket memory. (Clingeleffer, Butterworth and Hilfy for the win!)

For the few hundred die-hards that really get into this, it would be a shame to lose that opportunity by playing the final at a neutral ground.

I don't think there's a perfect solution here. If there was, I'd like to think that we'd have implemented it by now. I certainly don't think that retaining that home ground advantage while sending in another curator on a weeks notice is going to be at all workable or beneficial. So probably the closest thing to a good solution I can think of is to retain the home ground advantage, giving the away team the choice as to whether they'll bat or bowl first.

Failing that - the next best solution is probably to do away with the final altogether. Although that comes with the caveat that we need to re-look at the points system (again) and come up with something that rewards attacking cricket, but is also something that the interested public can understand.

The other thing that comes to mind is whether we can come up with some sort of an added bonus for a team that actually wins the final. But if you win the trophy, by draw or by any other means, that's all that matters right? The only bonus you can add on top of that is probably monetary, and that rewards individuals - so it's kind of the antithesis of team sport.

I'd like to think my preferred solution... "top team chooses to play home or away. Regardless of choice, the away team wins in the case of a drawn final"... would lead to most teams choosing to play at home and then preparing a result wicket and attempting to win the game.

It'd be a sad decision for a state to go, "Let's go play away from home and just try and draw so we can win the trophy." But they would have that choice. So if they do lose it on a drawn final they've got less to complain about.

Back