Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saints banner vs. The Hawks today

ha
18157109_1324905934289149_8745209652123325804_n.png

You're drawing an extremely long bow to argue that Geelong haven't benefitted hugely by the timing of all these changes. It's obvious. I only picked 2 scenarios from like 10 or so f/s. I'm not sure what there is to argue here. Was the timing of f/s changes after they had all theirs already on their list not great beneficial timing? Was the removal of high priority picks while cats were up the top of the ladder not detrimental to teams who should come up and challenge ? Was the raping of the draft by the arrival of expan teams right as Geelong were at their peak and not reliant on picks to rebuild while teams building to challenge needed those early picks detrimental to teams hoping to challenge and a help to Geelong ? Was the arrival of free agency right as the cats reached the usual point of teams decline great timing for Geelong ?

Not sure what I'm missing. Never said premierships were handed to Geelong just that the timing of these changes have been hugely beneficial to them and couldn't pick the timing any better.
I never said they didn't benefit from the changes but you basically said no bloody way in hell would they have benefited from f/s picks in 2001 and 2006 if today's rules were in place. I don't believe that. You said

F/s rules changed after cats benefitted hugely (retroactively applied they get Hawkins but miss out on Selwood , they get Ablett but miss out on Steve Johnson )

Lets say the current rules came into place in 2001 draft.

They had picks 8,17,23,24,40,41,69 and 81. Ablett wasn't consider a top 20 pick. If no other clubs bid for him before pick 20 then they would still have got him even under today's rules. And there is no guarantee they would have still stayed with picking Charlie Gardiner over Johnson. The likelihood is they lose one of Gardiner or Playfair or both if they go with Ablett and Johnson. They may have stayed with Gardiner before Johnson, they may have not, if they knew they would have to use pick 23 instead of 40 on Ablett. Once again if the rules changed you can't just assume Geelong's thinkng doesn't change.

Then in 2006 with the system 5 years old nobody knows what strategy they might have developed to get both Hawkins and Selwood. It would have been harder they might have had to lose a player or two but you can't just assume they would have said its all too hard we have no hope of getting the 2 of them, we just give up. They might not have succeeded. Hawkins f/s rule was a bigger benefit/free kick from the system than the Ablett f/s rule.

Which superstars since free agency came into play in 2012, have they picked up apart from Dangerfield? No free agent premiership players so far. Jarred Rivers in 2012 was a good pick up but his first year wasn't great with lots of injuries. He was good in 2014. Sam Blease was a bust. Scott Selwood not much better.

The 2 new teams have helped Geelong stay in the top half of the ladder because the dud sides have missed out on 2 or 3 superstars that could have threatened Geelong more. But who says that they would have developed them properly? But the AFL said in their Next Generation strategy document released in September 2006 that they wanted teams in SE Qld and western Sydney both by 2015 season. So they had warning it was coming. Then when the AFL tried to move North to GC in October 2007, but failed they all knew it was coming earlier than the original plan and clubs had to plan for it.

Sure Geelong have had luck of system and timing but luck isn't the main reason why they have been so successful for so long.

Fremantle won the week after we belted them at AO, looks like Carlton are going to do the same.

bit of a pattern emerging for future betting.

Didn't land on his head but got knocked out. Very strange. His upper back had a big bend on that landing

The impact would have probably cut the blood enoigh to knock him out just home all that weight right on the base of neck hasnt broken it I felt horrible watching it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the two things Hawthorn would be hoping for are :

1. Carlton beat Sydney
2. Port Adelaide beat Brisbane by 100 points.

Those are the only two things that would keep them off the bottom of the table.
I have only tipped Hawthorn correctly once - when Geelong beat them.

Fremantle won the week after we belted them at AO, looks like Carlton are going to do the same.

bit of a pattern emerging for future betting.

Essendon and GWS both won after copping a pasting here too, even though not by us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back