Autopsy Round 7 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Conceded 5 or 6 really soft goals. Missed 5 or 6 golden opportunities of our own to be 5 goals down midway through the third.

Dominated the rest of the game and had all the momentum halfway through the last quarter but then lacked any sort of composure going inside 50 in the last 10 minutes to get the margin inside a goal.

We just don't have the cool heads you need to win close games.
This.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

At the risk of being shot at dawn :rolleyes:, the Power tonight reminded me of the tingles of the mid 90's.

IE If we can't blow the oppo away early and get a quick kill we usually struggle.
The toasters stuck to their structures and just ground it out, that's why they got the chocolates.

1. R Gray should not have played.
2. A Young should not have played.
3. Boak, S Gray, Hartlett, Wingard, Polec all missed easy goals they should have kicked.
4. Eagles kicked 4 unanswered goals in the first 8mins of third quarter.
5. We lost by ten points.

This says that we should have won but didn't. Bad kicking and playing unfit players lost us the 4pts. Cost us second spot on the ladder. Unacceptable.

Some good observations:
Dixon and Ryder killed it.
Houston and Clurey stayed composed.
Wingard is a jet in the midfield.

On to the next match, I guess.
Not much more to say.

Young has clearly struggled since that Showdown tackle (funnily enough judged not in the back) which popped out his shoulder. I've seen it go a couple of times since, and he's clearly favouring his other arm. His output has been limited since, and he's really lost that edge of having that mid sized forward who can lead up well, crumb well and go through the middle if need be.

Missing this tonight clearly hamstrung our attack.

Luckily we have a few replacements in good form in the wings, so giving him a rest seems like a no brainer.

Mate, teams aren't beating us through sheer luck. The amount of rhetoric you spew after a loss along the lines of, "play that game again and we win" or "they just scored at the right time" is borderline insanity.

At some point, you have to hold yourself accountable. This isn't a game of ifs and buts.

If you don't win, then you weren't good enough. It's that simple.

Well, maybe if you won't listen to me, you'll listen to Adam Simpson:

"We did find a way to win, didn't we? Not many numbers are in our favour for the game, but I supposed the biggest stat we looked at today was the contested possession. It's been something that's been lacking when we've travelled away from home, and it was a real focus of ours...and I thought that was the only reason why we stayed in the game there at stages...our ability to fight it out. We got some ascendancy at the start of the third, which broke it open a little bit, but really proud of our players and our back line in particular (smiling) for handling...what was it? 68 inside 50s? So yeah it was a good effort by them."

On how to win when you are losing the inside 50 count so badly: "Obviously you've got to make most of your opportunities when you go forward, and you've got to kick straight, which was really important...but like I said, if you weren't in front in the ground ball and contested ball...that would have gone the other way."

On the perception that the Eagles had control of the game: "Really? (laughing) I don't think we gave up the lead, so we started well, which is really important here. And we seemed to respond pretty quickly when they scored. Centre bounce goals, I think we kicked a couple when they started to get some momentum. But I suppose it was the start of the third quarter, how we jumped out the blocks...and that set us up."

"We were, not fortunate, I thought our backs stood up all night...but that much supply...normally doesn't give you a result you want."

"We were efficient. I would have loved to get a bit more supply...I asked the boys for one extra inside 50 a quarter and that didn't really quite work today. Sometimes you have to empty out your 50 to win the ball and we had to do that at stages tonight just to combat what Port were doing, and that sometimes dries up your entries. But we were very efficient."

Guess he's insane too, huh?

Young has clearly struggled since that Showdown tackle (funnily enough judged not in the back) which popped out his shoulder. I've seen it go a couple of times since, and he's clearly favouring his other arm. His output has been limited since, and he's really lost that edge of having that mid sized forward who can lead up well, crumb well and go through the middle if need be.

Missing this tonight clearly hamstrung our attack.

Luckily we have a few replacements in good form in the wings, so giving him a rest seems like a no brainer.
#Monfries in confirmed

I only got to see bits and pieces of the third plus some early in the last.
Here is my review for the bits I got to see.

Veni vidi pooped.

No idea about the rest of the game.

Is it just me or has the standard of the league dropped this year compared to recent seasons and by default we've gone up from non-finalist to the 4-8th area?

Looking for Monfries and Eddy to force their way back into the side for next week.

We need Atley and Drew to develop into reliable inside mids. When the heat was turned up today, Priddis was the mid who generated the all important clearance.

We need a Priddis.

This has been building in me for a while so allow me to vent.

I want to take a second to roast the crowd. And not the numbers but its voice.

The ******* bullshit umpire decisions that get regularly paid against us at home are ******* unacceptable. And yet, half the crowd don't give a ******* peep to most of them.

Four minutes to go on the clock, we're two goals down. Umpire misses a blatant holding the ball against West Coast, then pulls out a tiggy touchwood throw against Boak which the Eagles have been getting away with all game.

Cue shot to the crowd. Lines and lines of people just sitting there with their arms crossed, looking vaguely unimpressed. One lone man on his feet yelling his lungs out.

Where the **** is the passion? Where is the Port crowd I know and love that will scream its ******* lungs out and create an intimidating atmosphere that makes the oppo and umps tremble at the thought of getting a decision against us?

We wonder why we're such ******* pushovers at home? Maybe because our crowd has been cowed into pathetic submission. Scolding emails from the club president when one person out of 50,000 does something stupid. Media jumping on 'Pert crowd are nazi thugs, hurr hurr' hubris and we all bend over and beg for forgiveness. Koch-lite vanillarisation turning us into a bunch of teal-loving teddy bears. PC, everyone's-favourite-second-team, don't offend anybody etc etc bullshit crap. I reckon our crowd has jumped the shark and lost its voice and intimidation. Too many theatre goers and people afraid of saying something that might be considered offensive.

Used to be that 15,000 Port fans made more sound than 50,000 crow spectators. I don't think that's the case anymore. Ffs, somebody actually told me to sit down at the Showdown when we were getting predictably reamed by the umpires. And no it wasn't a crows fan.

I am ******* sick of s**t, crap umpiring decisions paid against us at AO followed by a meek, half-hearted boo from the crowd. It isn't even about whether a decision is right or wrong - it's about creating a ******* intimidating atmosphere and making it difficult for the umpire to pay decisions against us, right or wrong I couldn't give a s**t.

Fire the **** up campaigners!
Hit the nail on the head there. Our crowd voice has been very stale for a few years now when in 2014 you couldn't go a single home game without a player thanking the crowd for being unfathomably loud in their post-game interview. I bloody cherish the opportunity to go to the footy and scream my ******* lungs out with 40,000 others in a united cause, it's the one of the only events that allows me to do that, but now I feel like a lone voice in the crowd. Turn it up.

Just got home and have to say my piece.

We played constipated footy.
Its like someone said to the team this week: " stop having fun this is serious business" and everyone got the fumbles.

Could see in the first few minutes the intensity was missing. That did change though, but while the intensity was there, it looked like no one had any confidence.

What I want to know is, who stole our one grab, first decision confidence?

Yeh and can we step up the forward coaching. When you win inside fifties at a ratio of nearly 2:1 and lose you don't blame the defense, you don't blame the mids, the focus is fair and square on whats going on up forward.
Fix it or find someone who can.

I'm pissed that we are not second tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today we played against a seasoned, professional and experienced side who went as hard as they could from the beginning to the end: we were not playing against kiddies this week!

Whereas the opposition attacked the contest with their all, we were, at times, weak at the contest, weak at the ball and weak at the man with the ball. We made many fundamental ball handling errors and some players, whether they were carrying injuries, (I hope we didn't select injured players) or copped injuries during the game, some of their attempts at the contest were feeble, injured or not.

The only thing we can take out of this game is that even though we played very inconsistent and some times downright gutless football, we got done by only 2 kicks.

This was a clip around the lug hole for our players to remind them that it doesn't matter who the opposition is, we must prepare ourselves properly and as soon as the siren sounds to start the game, we must play it like it was our last day on earth; Brisbane, WCE, Carlton, Sydney etc etc who gives a f**k who we are playing against! I hope that this also serves as a clip around the lug hole for some of us supporters who think that some player's s**t don't stink and that beating teams like Sydney away is "a win for the ages" or that smashing some puppies like Brisbane last week makes our side "fearsome".

We are only as good as our next game and we should stop the Mark Williams type bullshit of things like, "that's the best win we've had", "best game such and such has played", "a win for the ages" rah rah rah rah...... All this crap does, is encourage us to sit on our laurels and to be happy with the standard we have reached and that is not the Port Adelaide way.

I don't reclon Jacko offers Dix that much help he's just not a natural forward, give Eddy a shot for a few weeks or give Frampton a taste.. I'd like to see Ryder get some better ruck relief so he can spend at least a bit more time forward in tandem with Dixon.
No coincidence the times we looked best tonight was when we had both Dixon forward and Ryder had drifted forward. Jacko may get there, but right now in our losses he's kicked 0 against Adelaide, 1 against GWS and 0 against West Coast. Bring in Eddy to play closer to goal, let Dixon play the CHF role he's been doing so well, rather then triple teamed close to goal, with Trengove as the 3rd tall to draw a tall defender away and with Eddy in, be able to spend more time in ruck, allowing Ryder to spend more time forward. Eddy's been given the instructions he needs to defend more. Certainly with Young's dodgy shoulder he can't do worse in that facet of the game and everything else he brings over Young should make it a no brainer now.

Dixon took 10 marks.

Imagine what that could have been if he wasnt getting triple teamed and we werent bombing the ball on his head.

200_s.gif

Hit the nail on the head there. Our crowd voice has been very stale for a few years now when in 2014 you couldn't go a single home game without a player thanking the crowd for being unfathomably loud in their post-game interview. I bloody cherish the opportunity to go to the footy and scream my ******* lungs out with 40,000 others in a united cause, it's the one of the only events that allows me to do that, but now I feel like a lone voice in the crowd. Turn it up.
People have lost faith.

Looking for Monfries and Eddy to force their way back into the side for next week.

We need Atley and Drew to develop into reliable inside mids. When the heat was turned up today, Priddis was the mid who generated the all important clearance.

We need a Priddis.
Yea I hope Monfries plays well tomorrow he leads well and helps separate the foward line plus puts good pressure on, Young's form is ordinary injury or no injury.

Well, maybe if you won't listen to me, you'll listen to Adam Simpson:

"We did find a way to win, didn't we? Not many numbers are in our favour for the game, but I supposed the biggest stat we looked at today was the contested possession. It's been something that's been lacking when we've travelled away from home, and it was a real focus of ours...and I thought that was the only reason why we stayed in the game there at stages...our ability to fight it out. We got some ascendancy at the start of the third, which broke it open a little bit, but really proud of our players and our back line in particular (smiling) for handling...what was it? 68 inside 50s? So yeah it was a good effort by them."

On how to win when you are losing the inside 50 count so badly: "Obviously you've got to make most of your opportunities when you go forward, and you've got to kick straight, which was really important...but like I said, if you weren't in front in the ground ball and contested ball...that would have gone the other way."

On the perception that the Eagles had control of the game: "Really? (laughing) I don't think we gave up the lead, so we started well, which is really important here. And we seemed to respond pretty quickly when they scored. Centre bounce goals, I think we kicked a couple when they started to get some momentum. But I suppose it was the start of the third quarter, how we jumped out the blocks...and that set us up."

"We were, not fortunate, I thought our backs stood up all night...but that much supply...normally doesn't give you a result you want."

"We were efficient. I would have loved to get a bit more supply...I asked the boys for one extra inside 50 a quarter and that didn't really quite work today. Sometimes you have to empty out your 50 to win the ball and we had to do that at stages tonight just to combat what Port were doing, and that sometimes dries up your entries. But we were very efficient."

Guess he's insane too, huh?

And despite our dominance, they created clean and easy scoring opportunities and converted them. We struggled to create anything consistently and took a lot of shots from tight angles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back