SFL - 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Irymple the goods?
They apparently played well enough to knock off the favourites without a couple of their best.
Their depth could be telling as the season rolls on.
They'll finish top 4, I don't think there's much doubt about that. They might be found out when they don't have a forward target and the rebounding teams catch them out. The weekend was a close one, Mildura were good out of the middle, Irymple converted when they had to.
Their two's are rolling along nicely, Callow adds a fair bit to them when he's available also.

Earlier on I thought they were a chance but they lack the forward/s that Ouyen and Mildura have. An attacking backline but no target up forward.
They would love Hodson, Gordon or Eagle (he hasn't been cleared anywhere yet)

Earlier on I thought they were a chance but they lack the forward/s that Ouyen and Mildura have. An attacking backline but no target up forward.
Agreed. Eagle on is still coming off his knee injury from last year, doubt he'll play for a while. They'll need a fair spread of goal kickers with Pezz kicking 40-50 for the year to make it I reckon. They do have a really good midfield and halfback line that attacks, the stronger sides that prefer a wrestle rather than a shootout will test them though. They'll need to kick a lot of goals on the run imo.....

I'm from the Bellarine FL.
We were due to play your league in interleague this week, but Sunraysia FL isn't coming down, so we don't get a game.

They cited financial reasons, travel cost's etc.
Anyone up there know the real reason???? (I'm not a fan of Interleague anyway, just wondering).

I'm from the Bellarine FL.
We were due to play your league in interleague this week, but Sunraysia FL isn't coming down, so we don't get a game.

They cited financial reasons, travel cost's etc.
Anyone up there know the real reason???? (I'm not a fan of Interleague anyway, just wondering).
I believe that it was the real reason. It would have cost the league thousands to send the team and support staff to the Bellarine to play. I believe a lot of the potential players are genuinely disappointed at not being able to represent the SFNL this year.

It's amazing what deep pockets can do
Yeah that's exactly right. I wonder how long before supporters of other SFNL clubs lose their soft spot towards Ouyen.
I'm not sure why everyone was so surprised they had immediate Sunraysia success last year, both Walpeup Underbool and Ouyen were already loaded.
Good luck to them and their supporters I guess.

If you look into it Ouyen have been well under points this year. Last sat's game against south they used 30/39 compared to south's 36/39.
South had more recruits playing and the result was over 100 points. Yes their recruits wouldn't be cheap but they are a class above. You pay for quality.
Robinvale, Red Cliffs & now Ouyen have proved that recruiting from up north works but you need the connections.

If you look into it Ouyen have been well under points this year. Last sat's game against south they used 30/39 compared to south's 36/39.
South had more recruits playing and the result was over 100 points. Yes their recruits wouldn't be cheap but they are a class above. You pay for quality.
Robinvale, Red Cliffs & now Ouyen have proved that recruiting from up north works but you need the connections.
Not too concerned about points more talking about the folding stuff, a conservative estimate would put the Darwin contingent at around $1k per player each week just for travel costs, let alone accommodation, match fees etc.
However the football club is obviously well managed and ran and I take my hat off to them. My point is simply I can't see them being challenged this year or for the foreseeable future in seasons ahead.

Not too concerned about points more talking about the folding stuff, a conservative estimate would put the Darwin contingent at around $1k per player each week just for travel costs, let alone accommodation, match fees etc.
However the football club is obviously well managed and ran and I take my hat off to them. My point is simply I can't see them being challenged this year or for the foreseeable future in seasons ahead.

Who have they got coming from Darwin each week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for the points youve got new players playing at a club (sth) who would have a higher turn over of players then ouyen and players who have been at ouyen for a yr so there points value is lower plus ouyen were missing a few players to so that might bring their total up

I'm in favour of the points system but there should be some flexibility. I've copied this from another forum.

I implore every club and every club person, who has ever been involved in a struggling country footy side, and let's face it we've all been there, to contact AFL GM in regards to their mismanagement, as representatives of AFL Victoria, of the Community Sustainable Clubs Program and the player point system that has resulted in the Longwood Football Club incurring a $15,000 fine and the Longwood senior coach a $2500 fine and 10 week suspension.

These fines and restrictions were imposed because the Longwood FNC who is yet to win a 2017 senior KDFL match broke their 50 point allocation by 7 points in their round 6 match against Murchison-Toolamba who was sitting at 10th on the ladder prior to the game. Despite this so called breach of AFL rules Longwood lost by 95 points.

The player point system is quite obviously flawed in its assumption that all towns have a reasonable contingent of locals who can and want to play football.

At no point should Longwood or any other struggling club with a small local player base and lack of juniors who is working so hard to rebuild, have ever been allocated a points base that results in them having to put anything less than their best possible side on the park. From what I can see one of two possibilities have occurred, either firstly the player point system does not work, or alternatively, it does work but it is not being administered properly by AFL Goulburn Murray.

The points system is supposedly designed to even up the playing field of competition in country football. For it to result in an already struggling club having to pay hefty financial fines something is fundamentally wrong, and now the whole system has become compromised as it is contradictory to the purposes it is meant to serve. Add the fact that the fines don't even remain in the league but go to the body that charges the leagues to compete and oversees the point system and what we have left is a contradictory system with no accountability.

A review of the system and the rules and responsibilities in regards to its administration needs to be performed as a matter of urgency and the sanctions imposed on Longwood FNC and its senior coach need to be reversed immediately pending a review. The way this particular incident has been handled by AFL Goulburn Murray indicates the AFL has a lack of knowledge or understanding and an apparent disinterest in the issues faced by clubs in country Victoria.

Failure of them to internally review their processes and procedures at a regional level and a lack of willingness to align these to the needs of country football clubs will be the direct cause in the short term of the demise of country football clubs, which ultimately will result in the disbanding of country football leagues in the long term.

To date, it would seem that this is not of great concern to the AFL, but as country people who love our clubs, we as a group are the only ones who can stop it from happening. The AFL should no longer be allowed to administrate our game from afar with no understanding of what we as country football clubs and leagues need or want. We pay their wages, so it is up to us what we want them to do and how we want them to do it. If they're not willing to listen and provide us with what we need, as I see it, we would be far better off as a group to cut our ties and remove ourselves from their control.

What grounds would he have? Life suspension, does 2 years and can play again?
Is Brad Hardship in trouble with being reported on Saturday? How many weeks do he have under his belt?
Yeah I'm not saying I agree or disagree but after 12 months a life suspension can be appealed.

Finals here at last!
My thoughts on the first and second semi
Irymple to beat Robinvale
Mildura to beat Ouyen
Prelim Irymple v Ouyen ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back