Congratulations to Eleni Glouftsis , first woman to umpire an AFL senior match

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely in a lot better form than Geelong atm. Maybe all this humanizing of umpires can come with good things too.

Hey dude, I probably only noticed because it's my daughter's name and I love it.
It's a beautiful name. And I should have known better, having similar experiences myself and sometimes getting irritated.

My name being Kirsty, I get called Kristy so often, whether it's said in person or just written that way. So, sorry Eleni. :oops:

I've only seen 20mins of a female umpire in one of the practice matches earlier this season and the thing that took me by surprise was a situation where a player was throwing a tantrum, and instead of the normal lawyer(his day job) type response of arguing a stupid point that doesn’t make sense anyway, she simply told the player to grow up and get on with it as if she was dealing with a spoilt infant.
I'd never heard a response like that before and it could only come from a person devoid of male ego and I thought it was great.

Apart from that I thought she made good decisions and let the game flow, but it was a small sample size so I am hoping to catch more this weekend.

The other thing I noticed was she was overruled by the central umpire on multiple decisions that seemed perfectly acceptable, which worries me the male umpires themselves might cause a problem trying to overrule the female umpire to belittle her and satisfy their desperate need for attention, and protect the male dominance in umpiring.

Yup, I ******* hate umpires, go girls, you're my last hope!!!

I've only seen 20mins of a female umpire in one of the practice matches earlier this season and the thing that took me by surprise was a situation where a player was throwing a tantrum, and instead of the normal lawyer(his day job) type response of arguing a stupid point that doesn’t make sense anyway, she simply told the player to grow up and get on with it as if she was dealing with a spoilt infant.
I'd never heard a response like that before and it could only come from a person devoid of male ego and I thought it was great.

Apart from that I thought she made good decisions and let the game flow, but it was a small sample size so I am hoping to catch more this weekend.

The other thing I noticed was she was overruled by the central umpire on multiple decisions that seemed perfectly acceptable, which worries me the male umpires themselves might cause a problem trying to overrule the female umpire to belittle her and satisfy their desperate need for attention, and protect the male dominance in umpiring.

Yup, I ******* hate umpires, go girls, you're my last hope!!!
I liked to hire female barmaids for that very reason. The language is a bit less blue, and if there is a hint of trouble, in my experience they were far better at stopping it from developing into something that everyone later regretted. If they had big cans too, all the better.

She has heard it all before.
The crowds at the SANFL get pretty vocal
I gave her a massive spray at Norwood Oval one day without realising it was her that made the decision, something along the lines of you f**king cheating campaigner and then realised. She just smiled and got on with it.
She has a pretty good sense of humour aswell, heard a story from one of the players that a opponent gave her a bit of of verbal one day and told her she should go back to netball because she cant umpire and then awhile later this bloke dropped a fairly simple mark and Eleni told him to take up umpiring because he can't play football :D

I doubt anyone will notice any difference unless she starts pulling up famous star players for head high fend offs or applies tackling rules consistently

No, it should just not be reported period.

This umpire is just antother person. Nothing special.

Ridiculously and pointlessly harsh. She's probably had to overcome a bunch of barriers that you never had to deal with. And it might inspire more women to get involved this way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that this isnt really much of a news story is the best thing of all. Twenty years ago a woman umpiring a football game was unheard of. This weekend its just the next important but inevitable step in a natural progression,. Great news that its not really news. Shes just another maggot!!!

Wouldn't that be 'maggotess'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back