Rules AFL looking to ban jumper punches

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 10, 2008
Townsville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They're cheap shots, but the MRP has allowed them to creep into the game by not punishing them properly. If they came out and said we're not tolerating them anymore and it will be a week's suspension for the next one, they would stop immediately.

But they have legitimised them by not punishing them, so to suspend Cunnington for this would be wrong. Charlie Cameron got off with a fine for the same thing a few weeks ago.

giphy.gif

MUYB

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
They're cheap shots, but the MRP has allowed them to creep into the game by not punishing them properly. If they came out and said we're not tolerating them anymore and it will be a week's suspension for the next one, they would stop immediately.

But they have legitimised them by not punishing them, so to suspend Cunnington for this would be wrong. Charlie Cameron got off with a fine for the same thing a few weeks ago.

giphy.gif
How tough is shaun higgins. What a ripping bloke.

Zebrah

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2011
Arden Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Vince's reaction (including the aftermath on the bench) is one of the softest things I have seen. Unbelievable, a lot of respect loss. Oliver and a couple of others flopping to the ground would be concerning for Melbourne too. Don't want that stuff from your prime movers.

Would be horrendously wrong if Cunnington gets a week. Particularly if it was graded medium impact due to Vince's reaction.

Arathrawn

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I really didn't think Cunnington got him that hard. I could be wrong maybe he hit him in exactly the right (wrong) spot. Either way if Cochin got off for one to the chin they can't ping him for this.

I so agree jumper punches are a pretty s**t go though and should be stamped out.

Cheap shot to the head. Fronts up for more then goes down like a tonne of bricks when someone actually comes at him.

Vince = Soft

I dont like them, but when you let of Cotchin from last round with effectively a punch to the face whilst holding Guernsey then you cant exactly give this a week.
Cotchin's was the most blown out in the history of the AFL all because he plays for the Richmond Football Club.

Unbelievable hysteria and proves once again #weareeveryonesgrandfinal

May 15, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Cobblers who do the Cobbling
So we have a bunch of North fans agreeing that the jumper punch and Gut punch should be stamped out, but not this week because it would mean Cunnington will miss a game, and well Cotchin got away with it last week.

Enlighten me oracles, where do we start ?

The idea of stamping something out of the game means imposing a ban to discourage players from doing it.

Last week we had Richmond supporters whinging about soft**** Lachie Neale falling over after a jumper punch now we have North fans whinging about how soft Vince is. Can you see the problem ?

Start handing out 1 week suspensions and these gutless acts will disappear very quickly, then we can get back to playing the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cunnington's behaviour was great.

It put an end to that stupid rubbish.

Melbourne players obviously thought they could try that intimidation bullshit with anyone in the middle. Vince tried to take his head off, failed, then squared up to him afterward as if he wanted to go on with it. I hope the MRP notes that Vince raised his fists at Cunnington while Cunnington was going back to take his free kick and only then in response to that Cunnington acted in what was obviously self defense. One inch punch later and no more dirty tactics near Cunnington.

He made a statement to Vince - "We can play footy or punch on, what do you want to do?"

If Vince could play footy no doubt he would have at that point but cos he couldn't he went to the bench to have a cry instead.

Cunnington isn't a dirty player either. If he was there would be carnage regularly.

Cotchin's wouldn't knock over an old lady with a cane and Vince playacted.

Media hysteria over this is laughable.

What Vince did should be stamped out of the game,acting to make acts look worse than they really are.

So we have a bunch of North fans agreeing that the jumper punch and Gut punch should be stamped out, but not this week because it would mean Cunnington will miss a game, and well Cotchin got away with it last week.

The idea of stamping something out of the game means imposing a ban to discourage players from doing it.

Last week we had Richmond supporters whinging about soft**** Lachie Neale falling over after a jumper punch now we have North fans whinging about how soft Vince is. Can you see the problem ?

Start handing out 1 week suspensions and these gutless acts will disappear very quickly, then we can get back to playing the ball.

There is a fair chance Cunners will miss with a sore knee anyway so the suspension isn't the point.

Vince tried to take Cunningtons head off then raised his fists at him. If Cunnington goes he should too, he hit Cunnington round the head - so high contact - intentionally, with seemingly low but more likely medium impact. At least 2 weeks.

I dont like them, but when you let of Cotchin from last round with effectively a punch to the face whilst holding Guernsey then you cant exactly give this a week.

Cotchin didn't get let off. He was fined, which is a sanction by the tribunal.

Franklin was the one who got let off when he should have been penalised and if you hear N. Burke's justification for that you'll probably agree he should change the way he spells his name to Berk.

Arathrawn

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Why now? Seriously why now is this the issue? I don't know about you but the biggest gripe I have and what I hear from most fans with the MRP is the lack of consistency.

How do they adjudicate impact? Vince looks like he is staging big time but I could be wrong. If the bloke Cochin hit went down like Vince I reckon he would have been suspended. If we start suspending by the reaction of the player hit players will start overplaying it. Same issue with giving free kicks for a jumper punch, blokes will start staging.

If the AFL want to stamp it out they need to set the guidelines and make them clear. You can't have players doing something for half a season then without warning change the penalty for a specific act.

anditsadraw69

Senior List
Zombie Lover
Jun 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
These hero North supporters calling Vince soft are hilarious. Would love to see their reaction to a punch like that.
I was sitting very close to the Melbourne bench, and Vince vomited 2-3 times upon coming off the ground. Think he would have been expecting a shot to the chest/throat/jumper punch, not a low blow like that.
Still don't think he will get a week, nor should he. But the bull-s**t put out by these North supporters is utterly embarrassing.

May 15, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Why now? Seriously why now is this the issue? I don't know about you but the biggest gripe I have and what I hear from most fans with the MRP is the lack of consistency.

How do they adjudicate impact? Vince looks like he is staging big time but I could be wrong. If the bloke Cochin hit went down like Vince I reckon he would have been suspended. If we start suspending by the reaction of the player hit players will start overplaying it. Same issue with giving free kicks for a jumper punch, blokes will start staging.

If the AFL want to stamp it out they need to set the guidelines and make them clear. You can't have players doing something for half a season then without warning change the penalty for a specific act.

How about this

Don't throw a punch in the first place which takes away the opportunity for any player to dive.

AFL house change the interpretation of rules regularly during the season, see the OOB deliberate rule for example.

I just want to see the constant grabbing and ripping of jumpers done with, it's a faux tough guy action and they slip in punches for good measure.

I dont care who gets pinged but Cunnington is in the spotlight this week, and it's not Vince's fault. If Vince overstepped the mark as a tagger that's up to the umps to sort out. I understand the retaliation when another player grabs you first and tries to rag doll you, so get the umps to crack down on it and ping someone if they throw in a cheap shot

Arathrawn

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How about this

Don't throw a punch in the first place which takes away the opportunity for any player to dive.

AFL house change the interpretation of rules regularly during the season, see the OOB deliberate rule for example.

I just want to see the constant grabbing and ripping of jumpers done with, it's a faux tough guy action and they slip in punches for good measure.

I dont care who gets pinged but Cunnington is in the spotlight this week, and it's not Vince's fault. If Vince overstepped the mark as a tagger that's up to the umps to sort out. I understand the retaliation when another player grabs you first and tries to rag doll you, so get the umps to crack down on it and ping someone if they throw in a cheap shot
I agree with you on the faux tough guy thing. Waste of time and energy, rarely will you see someone like Nick Reiwoldt doing it but he is on of the most courageous and toughest players around.

The interpretation thing is what I have issue with. Just make it clear what is reportable and stick with it. The umpires do actually have it hard enough without the constant change in interpretations.

May 15, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I agree with you on the faux tough guy thing. Waste of time and energy, rarely will you see someone like Nick Reiwoldt doing it but he is on of the most courageous and toughest players around.

The interpretation thing is what I have issue with. Just make it clear what is reportable and stick with it. The umpires do actually have it hard enough without the constant change in interpretations.

Another problem is the commentators, on one hand we have the measured response from Healy or Roos telling us it should be stamped out, then you have the rantings of BT screaming
"Oh Boy Wow Wee it's on Darce, have a look at that, it's what makes this game so great. Did he give him a love tap bring it on ?"

Derm " nothing in it BT, I remember back in 82 when Blah blah blah "

Truth is it was a hot topic last week and Cotchin only got a fine after he chinned Neale, that sends a message that's it's OK. Cant blame Cunnington because he can wear a 1k fine.

As usual too many mixed messages coming out

It's crazy that you get a free kick for barely touching a player in the back during a marking contest, but can grab a jumper and fling them to the ground for play on.

We could sit here all week and moan about interpretations of the rules, and by next Monday we'd be back in the same place.

Because you can't just change the rules without notice. Rules/interpretations shouldn't change mid-season, let alone without any form of warning.

If they came out and said 'as of round 10, any jumper punches or gut punches will be suspendable', this would still be rough. In theory, a player could get rubbed out in round 18 for a gut punch and lose the Brownlow but numerous other players got off earlier in the very same season.

But even more ludicrous would be to give no warning whatsoever and just start suspending players in round 9, when they thought they were paying under the same rules as the prior 8 rounds.

It would be akin to the umpires introducing the no third man up rule in the second half of a game, without telling anyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back