USA or Australia: What country has the better sporting culture?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel sorry for the youngsters today. When I was a kid I had 5 hours of WWOS to consume. These days it's 5 hours it's masterchef reruns!!

David Hill was pretty wise to take overseas concepts and introduce them to Australian TV.

Everytime i hear ZZ Tops''LEGS' I think of classic catches.

If anybody on here knows, how popular is the AFL in New South Wales and Queensland compared to the popularity of the NHL in the southern American states?

In country NSW/QLD I'd say the comparison would be pretty fair

Games on Chanel ten on Friday nights, Saturday afternoon, Saturday night, and Sunday afternoon.
The Saturday coverage would follow the LIVE Friday Night "NBA on TNT" game from the States.

it was an amazing time for the NBL, i remember a final series between the Giants and Magic in the mid 90's being very popular.

Depends what you mean by better. The US has a far more encompassing and developed sporting culture, but to me that's a bad thing. The more we move towards it, the more I fall out of love with sport.

I like my sport in moderation. All that Friday Night Lights s**t, I find more scary than good.

Depends what you mean by better. The US has a far more encompassing and developed sporting culture, but to me that's a bad thing. The more we move towards it, the more I fall out of love with sport.

I like my sport in moderation. All that Friday Night Lights s**t, I find more scary than good.

Friday Night Lights is an awesome TV series

AFL definitely influenced by America with wanting to move the AFL grand final to night so certain things will look better on tv.

AFL definitely influenced by America with wanting to move the AFL grand final to night so certain things will look better on tv.
The Super Bowl and World Series were originally played during the day, but they both moved it to night after they realized they could get more viewers. It makes sense why the AFL would be wanting to do the same thing.

The Super Bowl and World Series were originally played during the day, but they both moved it to night after they realized they could get more viewers. It makes sense why the AFL would be wanting to do the same thing.

just got to make sure that all the VFL Grandpas at AFL house have retired/moved on before a night GF can go ahead

oh i thought the 1906 world series was played under lights...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't sure about day/night Test cricket at first, but having been to both of them it's brilliant, and the integrity of the game remains the same which is the important thing. The Ashes Test is going to be amazing this year.
The ball still isn't right though, and it was rushed. I don't really have a problem with it conceptually, provided its done right and with due care to the sanctity of multi-dat cricket. It wasn't. So far, they have got away with it.

The more disturbing thing is if, like ODI cricket, they force it on venues where it is not suited. Games in places like Port Elizabeth are almost decided by the dew factor. In Australia, Hobart isn't suited to late nights because so much of the crowd in a very small market has to travel (it could be pushed back to a 7:30 or 8:00 finish easily enough in natural light though).
Manchester could see the day cut short because of visibility issues, even with TV stanbard lights an English fog is a (lack of) sight to behold.

Our attitude to test cricket is far more similar to the Saffers than the Poms, we both go for the win, it's why our series are usually worth watching.

Not so sure about that. Individually there are a lot of similarities between Australia and SA, prickly players and a lot of aggression. But in the last decade the team philosophies are different. Australia batting a day and a bit for a draw two months back was massive. It's nothing for SA to bat two days. They are a far more bloody minded team who know when to accept that a draw is their best outcome and play accordingly.

Certainly historically England have a soft utensil cautionary attitude of failing to attack when they need to but that has changed for the most part, aside from Cook's insistence on scoring a million more runs than is necessary before every declaration.

Flintoff and Pietersen started to bring a far more positive approach to their cricket, Prior was another who enhanced that, and the likes of Swann, Broad, Anderson and more recently Stokes, Root and Bairstow have carried it on.

In Australia you get the worst weather conditions at night though eg; cold, dew. The superbowl is played inside a dome or at an outside venue where the weather conditions provide for optimal playing conditions, it is hardly ever played at an outdoor venue which could provide for less optimum playing conditions. New York hosted it a few years ago and everybody had kittens when the announcement was made. The weather Gods were on the NFL's side as the snowstorm held off for 24 hours.

In Australia you get the worst weather conditions at night though eg; cold, dew. The superbowl is played inside a dome or at an outside venue where the weather conditions provide for optimal playing conditions, it is hardly ever played at an outdoor venue which could provide for less optimum playing conditions. New York hosted it a few years ago and everybody had kittens when the announcement was made. The weather Gods were on the NFL's side as the snowstorm held off for 24 hours.
We are not moving the AFL Grand Final to Etihad.

Depends which city.

Some US cities have next to no sporting culture when compared to some Australian cities.

I think in small towns Australia would have a much richer sporting culture than small US towns.

Depends which city.

Some US cities have next to no sporting culture when compared to some Australian cities.

I think in small towns Australia would have a much richer sporting culture than small US towns.
Phoenix and Miami have a terrible record of supporting their teams.

This is a tuogh question to answer, but I'll give it a shot. In terms of spectacle, the US shits on Australia. What we do for a Grand Final is there regular game! As for sporting prowess, Australia has made an impact across the world in many sports including MLB, NBA and NFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back