Round 8 Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

What are the penalties for?

Naming a player who doesn't play?
Naming too few GST players?
Naming a player out of position (eg Non-GST in GST position)?

And are the penalties game point penalties? or premiership point penalties? or both?
I saw somewhere that the highest scoring player is lost and I guess that was Ross for Wagga Wagga this week. So it looks like the player named out of position counts but you lose your highest scorer.
But was that PP penalty also applied here? Or was that for something different?

There's a possibility that I may be facing a GST shortage if things go against me in the next couple of months. I've lost Hogan indefinitely but can cover it at this stage as I've been playing an extra GST every week. If I lose another kpp I can swing Hurley forward and bring in one of my reserve kpp defenders assuming they're not out. But after that I'll struggle.
My main worry is with rucks. I expected Cox and Daw to be regulars but have been out more than in so I'm relying heavily on Smith. Luckily when Smith was out Cox was in so I was ok but if I'm left without a ruck what is the best option? Should I just put N/A in the position or name Smith or another ruckman there anyway?

I just want to make sure I don't screw up if/when it happens.

What are the penalties for?

Naming a player who doesn't play?
Naming too few GST players?
Naming a player out of position (eg Non-GST in GST position)?

And are the penalties game point penalties? or premiership point penalties? or both?
I saw somewhere that the highest scoring player is lost and I guess that was Ross for Wagga Wagga this week. So it looks like the player named out of position counts but you lose your highest scorer.
But was that PP penalty also applied here? Or was that for something different?

There's a possibility that I may be facing a GST shortage if things go against me in the next couple of months. I've lost Hogan indefinitely but can cover it at this stage as I've been playing an extra GST every week. If I lose another kpp I can swing Hurley forward and bring in one of my reserve kpp defenders assuming they're not out. But after that I'll struggle.
My main worry is with rucks. I expected Cox and Daw to be regulars but have been out more than in so I'm relying heavily on Smith. Luckily when Smith was out Cox was in so I was ok but if I'm left without a ruck what is the best option? Should I just put N/A in the position or name Smith or another ruckman there anyway?

I just want to make sure I don't screw up if/when it happens.

Apparently you would be better off naming 17 and then you won't lose your top scorer. I named a full team and put as realistic a team in as possible and ended up losing my top scorer every time.

I think my penalty is for not naming a team, not for the lack of GST.

Apparently you would be better off naming 17 and then you won't lose your top scorer. I named a full team and put as realistic a team in as possible and ended up losing my top scorer every time.

I think my penalty is for not naming a team, not for the lack of GST.

Naming six players with GST status in your team should be the minimum. If one of your six GST players doesn't end up playing (and therefore scoring) then the only penalty should be a 0 for that position.

Naming six players with GST status in your team should be the minimum. If one of your six GST players doesn't end up playing (and therefore scoring) then the only penalty should be a 0 for that position.

Well I originally named 6 GST including a 2nd ruck as my full forward which is plausible. But that wasn't ok so then I thought I'd just name my best 18. But that doesn't work either. The best thing to do is just name 17 if you don't have enough.

Well I originally named 6 GST including a 2nd ruck as my full forward which is plausible. But that wasn't ok so then I thought I'd just name my best 18. But that doesn't work either. The best thing to do is just name 17 if you don't have enough.

Surely just naming six GST on your squad in the correct positions is enough? At the least two G at FF and CHF, two S at CHB and FB and a T in the ruck. With one extra somewhere of any type in the starting 18.

You receive a penalty if any don't play in the form of 0 score.

Surely just naming six GST on your squad in the correct positions is enough? At the least two G at FF and CHF, two S at CHB and FB and a T in the ruck. With one extra somewhere of any type in the starting 18.

You receive a penalty if any don't play in the form of 0 score.

Yeah my problem was I had 0 G for a few weeks but 2T when I only needed one. So I tried naming a 2nd T at FF instead of a G (that I didn't have) but it wasn't allowed. Fair enough, rules are rules.

Yeah my problem was I had 0 G for a few weeks but 2T when I only needed one. So I tried naming a 2nd T at FF instead of a G (that I didn't have) but it wasn't allowed. Fair enough, rules are rules.
I've been going with 1 S most of the season and a couple with 0. Only one game I think I've had a full team.

I think the GST rule is flawed.

If you are an AFL side and you have 3 or 4 key forwards out injured you are going to have to change things up a bit, my example from an AFL perspective and which would of worked for me is Carlton having to throw Weitering forward.

In this comp now its just tough luck and you miss out. If you have a stack of forwards out you're guna have to bring in a ruck and play him as a forward, in this comp now tough luck you cant play a ruck forward unless they are voted in as dual position.

Back when I first started playing this game it was fun and the only complicated part was salary cap stuff. Now there's all these other worries of having to vote on players position etc. At the end of the day its common sense, you wont play Sam Kerridge as FB or Marc Murphy as a ruck and if you tried you shouldnt/wouldnt score for that player.

I'm losing a lot of interest in this game at present when I used to love it.

I agree with you to an extent with regards to the GST. It's flawed, but I think some kind of limitation is required to make sure all teams make an effort to have a good number of GST players in their team.
The biggest problem is that there are only a limited number of GST players selected in the AFL every week so it's almost inevitable that some AFLTM teams will be short from time to time, especially if you get LTIs on GST players. Over the off season I focused on making sure I had more ruck depth but most weeks I've still found myself worrying about whether or not I'll have someone available in that position.

Maybe there's a way that some flexibility can be introduced to cover injuries to GST...
We have an LTI list, so why not introduce a GSTI list where a GST player can be named in different GST position if a team is unable to fill that spot due to injury. eg. If Zac Smith is out injured and I have no other available Ts I can nominate a G or S to play in the ruck. It's only for injuries though. If they're just not selected then you miss out. That'll add some flexibility.

I think we should have a minimum number of GST in the squad but no limit for games, as long as we are sensible and realistic with who we name. That way if you have injuries for a period, you aren't penalised. Why should I be required to waste half of my cap on 6 goalkickers when I only need 2 per week and then be penalised when they all get hurt. Do I need to recruit 7-8 next time? Where do they come from if I take an extra 2? Somebody else will be 2 short then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back