South Fremantle
Johhny Frampton - Kardinya

Perth

Ian Hill - Northam Barons JFC / Wesley
Gordon Narrier - Hale
Sydney Stack - Northam Barons

East Fremantle
Tom Joyce - Melville / Aquinas
Chris Scott - East Fremantle / Rovers (Geraldton)

Who stands out as draftable? Naughton, Starcevich?

Noteworthy mentions. Noting i've not watched much in the way of colts over the last year.

East Fremantle and Peel are top two on the colts ladder. East Fremantle has just one draftable player represented in the above squad and i've seen none of Peel.

Brayden Ainsworth is an overage medium-tall midfielder who averages over 27 disposals a game at colts level this year.
Hyron Hayden is a powerfully built 186cm, 86kg midfielder. Averaging 23.5 disposals a game.
Ben Miller is an athletic tall. Standing at 196cm and 92 kilos.
Aaron Naughton is a 194cm AIS defender.
Christian Ameduri is a quick medium midfielder come half forward.
Sam East is a slight but athletic tall defender at 194cm.
Jaxon Cahill is a dashing small defender who breaks the lines with run and carry.
Johhny Frampton is a 199cm ruckmen (brother of billy?).
Gordon Narrier athletic forward/ utility standing at 187cm.
Callan England. Small strong midfielder averaging 27.8 disposals per game, reasonably quick and effective.
Jake Patmore. Small midfielder/ defender averaging 26.6 disposals per game.
Taryce Stewart is a live wire small forward.

This age group really struggled in the 2015 U16 championships. A lot of turnover with a lot of players missing out from that U16 squad.A lot of regional and rural kids have come into the squad who haven't played a mountain of colts football while Joyce, Stack, Carter, Greaves and Cameron are all underage and played well in the U16's last year.

Last edited:

Who stands out as draftable? Naughton, Starcevich?

Naughton yes. Starcevich probably shouldn't make the final squad and won't get drafted.

Brayden Ainsworth and Callan England have been the two outstanding midfielders in the games i've seen. England was WA's best midfielder in the 2015 U16's, reminds me of a Neale. Ainsworth is playing his first season of colts and his composure is some of the best i've seen in the last few years. Reminds me of Blake Acres in a way.

Kyron Hayden is one of those players who draws your eye because of his size and built, could be viewed as bit of a tweener if he doesn't perform.

Last edited:
Expecting Oscar Allen to be the first taken, reckon Naughton and Patmore two other national selections. Really liked Sam Taylor in the AFL Academy game and he's the other one I'd consider taking.

Aaron Redhead is the bolter. Mobile goal kicking ruckman.

Really hope the lads put in a good shift. Been a while since WA has had a decent U18's carnival.

I posted this on the Freo board for those who are interested:

Just got back from the WA U18's trial game vs WA Country.

And can I just say we will get a ripper in Jason Carter, the way he runs, his speed and skills and reading of the play reminds me so much of a right footed Cyril Rioli....the guy's a jet. One of those "metres gained" players off the half back line.

Johnny Frampton was impressive, particularly in the first quarter. At 199cm he played in the ruck but it was his work around the ground that was impressive, played like a midfielder and is a good left foot kick.

Oscar Allen at CHF was good too.

Sydney Stack, Zareth Roe, Brayden Ainsworth and Jarrod Cameron also impressed.

WA Country had Josh Simpson, Greg Broughton and Josh Bootsma but it wasn't an overly strong side.

I think WA will struggle this year and the best players are the bottom agers.

WA 18's 15.11 v 6.13

Hill didn't play, not sure why, i'll find out on tomorrow.

WA have a super quick side, but not a lot of depth in key positions. Even Josh Simpson commented how "quick these little buggers" are!

Frampton was super impressive, IMO best on ground in the first quarter when the 18's skipped to a 5.3 to 0.3 lead just before Country kicked their first for the quarter.

For those who haven't seen Carter live, I urge you if you get an opportunity, do it, he is so exciting and IMO would be a very high draft pick, particularly with his Rioli-like style, can't wait to see him in purple.

Jarrod Cameron is the other that really impressed, much more "rounded" and more a midfielder than his brother, and probably not as lean as Charlie was at the same age.

Distinct South Freo boys club flavour about the 18's coaching/assistants with Sumich, Jakovich, Dorotich, McGrath, Dean Irving, Brad Collard, Nick Caputi and West Perth's Mark Seaby.

Aaron Redhead is the bolter. Mobile goal kicking ruckman.
Redhead has been very average in both trial games.
Starcevich played for the WA U21's against the WA U18's which the 21's won easily by 6 or 7 goals, but should have probably won by more. He kicked 4 or 5 goals and was very good but won't play for the 18's in the Champs.

Redhead has been very average in both trial games.
Starcevich played for the WA U21's against the WA U18's which the 21's won easily by 6 or 7 goals, but should have probably won by more. He kicked 4 or 5 goals and was very good but won't play for the 18's in the Champs.
Did Starcevich kick that many? I was told he only kicked 2.

I agree he won't play this year. His injury has been horribly managed by Trinity, East Perth and mostly by the state team. I think he will get picked up, should prove value for a late pick when he's fit.

Did Starcevich kick that many? I was told he only kicked 2.

I agree he won't play this year. His injury has been horribly managed by Trinity, East Perth and mostly by the state team. I think he will get picked up, should prove value for a late pick when he's fit.
Starcevich is a "train on" which means he can't play for WA. I'm not sure the reasoning behind that but there are 9 others in the same boat. No matter how well they play from now until the Champs they can't play unless granted special permission and maybe injuries, I actually don't understand it myself but that is the situation with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've really only got about 4 probable draftees at this stage - Allen, Patmore, Taylor and Naughton. But I do like Brayden Ainsworth, Callan England and Taryce Stewart as late/rookie selections. Theyre the ones I'd be trying to highlight at the Championships, as well as the underage stars.

I've really only got about 4 probable draftees at this stage - Allen, Patmore, Taylor and Naughton. But I do like Brayden Ainsworth, Callan England and Taryce Stewart as late/rookie selections. Theyre the ones I'd be trying to highlight at the Championships, as well as the underage stars.
The WA Team is pretty average apart from the younger group who are not eligible this year but I agree Oscar Allen is one to look out for from West Perth. He's kicked goals in both trial matches. Around 191-193 cm depending on which website you look at.

I just don't get the Patmore thing, he's so highly rated but i just haven't seen that yet. I saw him a lot last year in my nephew's team and i'm just not sold.

Patmore is perhaps one player who has benefited from such a weak WA crop. He's one of the few with potential and actual AFL level attibutes. I like his run and carry, speed and general skills. He's also shown an ability to defend, which isn't always the case in juniors. He still has a long way to go, particularly in terms of impact and consistency but he's developing nicely I feel. Not an early pick or anything, but one who should be drafted.

Also, looks like the WA team got weaker with underage star Jason Carter injuring his knee. I daresay he would have been one of the featured players.

Thoughts on a 22 for WA? I must say, I struggled to fill it. In the end, I pretty much stacked it with 17 year olds and tried to balance it with some stronger bodies around them. The small forwards and midfield are going to have to kick a lot of goals...

b: Jake Patmore - Sam East - Aaron Naughton
hb: Jaxon Cahill - Sam Taylor - Tom Joyce
c: Jarrod Cameron - Kyron Hayden - Sydney Stack
hf: Ian Hill - Oscar Allen - Gordon Narrier
f: Brandon Starcevich - Damon Cramer - Taryce Stewart
r: Jonathan Frampton - Callan England - Brayden Ainsworth
i: Ben Miller - Christian Ameduri - Joseph Ugle - Damon Greaves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back